I finished Filth this afternoon. Lord almighty, filth is right. Imagine a book with DC Bruce Robertson and Frances Begby together. It might actually be unreadable in its grimness  :o

The beggar is mentioned briefly in it :)

Yeah and I was hoping he'd be brought in for the grand finale. Great ending none the less!

I love how the tapeworm transforms into his conscience,  which he then shits out  :laugh:

Yeah it's class, and the perfect antidote to your struggles with Jerusalem. I did something similar after getting highly frustrated with a Milan Kundera book my baby momma gave me years ago, got stuck into Trainspotting for the umpteenth time and finished it right and quick. In fact I might read one of his this weekend:)

Speaking of difficult literature, a teacher I work with me said he had Joyce on the reading list when he was at college (do the young lads in Ireland still say college or are we at 'Uni' now?) and he asked me 'have you read 'Dubliners'?

'No, that's beyond the ken of a lad like me'

'I started reading it in English, ni puta idea. So I bought a Spanish translation. Ni puta idea' :)

Made a nice little haul in an op shop today for a record breaking $3...

Crime and Punishment by Maeve Binchy.
The Hound of the Baskervilles by John Watson.
Sorcery by Terry Pratchett.

Dubliners is a grand read, language wise, more or less. I've fuck all spare time at the moment, but still really enjoying the 10-15 pages of Ulysses I manage to get through once or twice a week.

Finished the two official books on Twin Peaks back to back which I loved. Only for Peaks fans, otherwise it would be a chore if you hadn't watched the series. Started Scanner Darkly last night. It seems weirdly funny

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 28, 2021, 10:32:47 AM
Dubliners is a grand read, language wise, more or less.

Beautifully written book. Didn't get a whole lot out of it story wise but the language really is to be admired.

The only Joyce I've read was Potrait and I found it mostly a cunt of a thing. Boring, aimless and a chore to read with occasional flashes of brilliance. I'm in no rush to check anything else out.

I have 'Origin of The Species' up tomorrow. Feeling suitably daunted.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

My favourite Joyce by far is Portrait, Dubliners is a nice read but a bit pointless, Ulysses is self indulgent rubbish and not worth the effort required of the reader to read it, If Iron Maiden wrote a novel, Ulysses would be the kind of bloated, over-produced, over-hyped nonsensical wankery they would come up with, I know it appeals greatly to some people, I think its appalling scutter.

On a completely different vein, I'm reading The Bourne Objective by Eric Van Lustbader presently, I've never seen the films or read any of the other Bourne books. I must say I'm finding it a very enjoyable read.

I guess it's topical, but I can't imagine a stronger mismatch than any Iron Maiden album, generally predictable and linear, albeit recently bloated, and Ulysses, which may be over-hyped, but is at the very least one of a kind. I dunno, I'm digging it, but I guess that in itself is predictable.

Never read any of the Bourne books, but all of the films are excellent for what they are, and much better than any of the Bond films released in the same time period. 

I read the first Bourne book about ten years ago, it was fucking torturous. That'll do me.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 28, 2021, 10:53:19 PM
I guess it's topical, but I can't imagine a stronger mismatch than any Iron Maiden album, generally predictable and linear, albeit recently bloated, and Ulysses, which may be over-hyped, but is at the very least one of a kind. I dunno, I'm digging it, but I guess that in itself is predictable.

Never read any of the Bourne books, but all of the films are excellent for what they are, and much better than any of the Bond films released in the same time period.

Fair point re. the Iron Maiden analogy, although I was referring more to Maidens lyrics, which I find to be long-winded, meandering and pointless, than to their musical composition. Anyway, ya get my point.
Are ya going to give Finnegans Wake a whirl? Its worse than Ulysses, or better, depending on your point of view.

Quote from: Necro Red on July 28, 2021, 11:17:27 AM
Started Scanner Darkly last night. It seems weirdly funny

A scanner darkly is a good read for sure. One of Philip k dicks more realistic books I but all the more strange for it.