Whe I get stuck just on a particular book I go to another, completely different genre and see if that works. Crime fiction is my go-to, that or something with a comedy element to it. Total blocks are a prick though.

Finally finished Jonathan Strange And Mr. Norrell at the weekend. Seriously overrated book.

After cleansing the palate with a couple of issues of Empire, I've moved on to the maximum rock'n'roll that is Tony Robinson's autobiography.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on May 06, 2021, 10:34:57 PM
Anyone got any ways to get out of a reading block?

I've had some blocks when reading particularly huge tomes that I just couldn't get through quick enough, despite being interested in it. I would get an audio book (free preferably, do a Google, but I do have audible) of the book I'm actually reading and swap between the two. Read one chapter, listen to the next two or three while walking, working, gaming etc, and so on. I read most just before bed and with a new baby I tend to pass out pretty quick, so this has been handy as I try to readjust to reading on my break or after work. Also worth seeking out an interesting but very short read to get you going again.

Reading block eh? be Jeasus that's a new one on me.
Do ya mean that you'r just not in the mood to read like? Sure if you'r not in the mood for it, just don't do it. Its a complete waste of time reading a book if you'r forcing yourself to read it out of some sense of obligation. If you'r not enjoying reading it, its in one eye and out the other anyway. Go at something else, drawing, bit of carpentry, write an auld poem or whatever and the urge to read will come again. Your brain will tell you when it requires some literary nourishment, as the body tells you when it is hungry. That's the way it is with me anyway.

Just finished City Of Lies, by Michael Russell. Top notch read.
Irish Crime fiction set in Dublin during the second world war.
Its actually the fourth book in a series, can't wait to get my paws on the others.

I picked up The Daydreamer by Ian McEwan and have been bating through it. It's the only one of his I've not yet read and as it turns out it's a children's book. A quick and easy breath of fresh air that I need before jumping back into The Master and His Emissary, which is fascinating but heavy reading.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning by Jonathan Mahler.

The background to the Yankees winning the Series in '77, focusing on the hate-hate relationship between Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin. Meanwhile, NYC is falling apart, the city is broke, the mayoral race, the Blackout, and the Son of Sam is going round killing people. And Rupert Murdoch takes over the Post.

Brilliant book.

Reading Boys Life By Robert McCammon. Love coming of age stories and this is hitting the right spot.

Re reading block: was a case of not reaching for what I was reading when I was halfway through. Finished some assignments and ended up getting back into it.

So much so I have McCarthy's No Country for Old Men and PKD's Three Stigmata..

Bought Pynchons Crying of Lot 49.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on May 22, 2021, 05:26:11 PM
Re reading block: was a case of not reaching for what I was reading when I was halfway through. Finished some assignments and ended up getting back into it.

So much so I have McCarthy's No Country for Old Men and PKD's Three Stigmata..

Bought Pynchons Crying of Lot 49.

Pynchon is a hard read. I haven't finished the one book of his that I persevered with ("Gravity's Rainbow") - stuck about a third of the way in. I tried starting a few others with no luck.

Currently reading Jeff Tweedy's memoir "Let's Go (So We Can Get Back)". I've been a fan of Wilco for a long time but only knew about them from magazine/newspaper articles. A very read so far - Tweedy seems to have genuinely put time into this - honest and funny.

I have Gravity's Rainbow on the list. I picked it up second hand a couple of years ago knowing nothing about it, I just liked the title,  but it was people in this thread saying how difficult a read it was put me off going near it. I'll have to give it a shot.

I read Dave Mustaines: A Life in Metal last week. A good enough read, the bitterness was very real for a long time! I would have liked a bit more insight into his songwriting methods, he just kind of glossed over some albums. I never really paid attention to what musicians were in the band, he burned through a fair amount of members alright. The boys mad for the drugs so they were.
The part when the "Big Four" were playing Am I Evil onstage and he wasn't sure whether or not he was supposed to do the guitar solo... me nerves haha.

Up next is  Steve-o's professional idiot: a memoir.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 24, 2021, 11:39:58 AM
I have Gravity's Rainbow on the list. I picked it up second hand a couple of years ago knowing nothing about it, I just liked the title,  but it was people in this thread saying how difficult a read it was put me off going near it. I'll have to give it a shot.

It might not be that difficult to read. It could be a case of me being too thick to understand it.  :laugh:

Well I know that feeling too   ::)

Started reading basil liddal harts 'history of the second world war', very detailed and lots of inside information as he had access to high rank British  politicians who were in Chamberlin and Churchills cabinet, he was also an advisor of sorts. A good read well worth picking up

Haven't read Gravity's Rainbow so I said I'd start with Crying of Lot 49 as its short enough. I do want to read his one V as it sounds mad.