Didn't know Laibach had a Zarathustra concept album, must check it out. The most annoying person I've ever worked with in my life was the first person I ever heard of them through, when I was 20. Instant turn off that never fully went away even after hearing an album I enjoyed  :laugh:

Zarathustra is tough to get through as literature. It can be done, just enjoying the words and images (depending on quality of translation too), but it's a bit like reading the scriptures to an unfamiliar religion. If you want to get into it, I'd always recommend reading (at least) either The Joyful Science or Human All Too Human first.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 23, 2024, 01:06:45 PMDidn't know Laibach had a Zarathustra concept album, must check it out. The most annoying person I've ever worked with in my life was the first person I ever heard of them through, when I was 20. Instant turn off that never fully went away even after hearing an album I enjoyed  :laugh:

Zarathustra is tough to get through as literature. It can be done, just enjoying the words and images (depending on quality of translation too), but it's a bit like reading the scriptures to an unfamiliar religion. If you want to get into it, I'd always recommend reading (at least) either The Joyful Science or Human All Too Human first.

Have been unfairly turned off many a decent band in the exact same fashion  :laugh:

I'll keep an eye for the ones you mentioned there if it helps to crack that nut

Quote from: TheRuts on June 22, 2024, 06:20:35 PMAuthor Dennis Cooper has listed some of his favourite books of the year so far.

https://denniscooperblog.com/mine-for-yours-my-favorite-fiction-poetry-non-fiction-music-film-art-and-internet-of-2024-so-far/

Might be of interest to some on here looking for inspiration on what to read. Oh, and he listed my own book (which was very nice of him).

Hello what is your book? Pm me if you prefer
Dennis Cooper is a great writer.

Picked up Solenoid, by Mircea Cartarescu yesterday. Won the Dublin literary award.

Quote from: Don Gately on June 24, 2024, 08:30:22 AM
Quote from: TheRuts on June 22, 2024, 06:20:35 PMAuthor Dennis Cooper has listed some of his favourite books of the year so far.

https://denniscooperblog.com/mine-for-yours-my-favorite-fiction-poetry-non-fiction-music-film-art-and-internet-of-2024-so-far/

Might be of interest to some on here looking for inspiration on what to read. Oh, and he listed my own book (which was very nice of him).

Hello what is your book? Pm me if you prefer
Dennis Cooper is a great writer.

Good interview here.  I'm going to buy this book from kennys.ie

https://www.thepensivequill.com/2024/02/dethrone-god.html?m=1

Zapruder would have wept. Brilliant

I finished The Satanic Verses this evening. It was a bit long winded for me, but not bad.

Starting into a re-read of The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor. When he's good, he operates at another level.

Thus Spake Zarathustra was my favourite of the Nietzsche stuff but not been reading that type of thing for years now. Won't say I understood it fully, but the half-novel style was quite pleasant to work through. I like that type of philosophy writing when it's presented to you in a story form. Like Dostoevsky for example.

I'm a terrible reader. I pick difficult, factual, non page turners too often and I've no problem dropping a book if its not doing it for me. The latest one I've dropped off on half way through is Earthsea by Ursula la Guin. Tis good though and I might go back to it. Fantasy gear.

Started The Master and Margarita (bulgakov) a few days ago. Brilliant so far. The Russian gear is something else.

That's one I have to go back to and finish, loved what I read of it. Someone gave me an edition that has footnotes with spoilers in them!  >:(  So head-wrecking I set it aside about 60 pages in and then forgot to buy a better version.

Quote from: Grim Reality on July 08, 2024, 11:01:54 PMI'm a terrible reader. I pick difficult, factual, non page turners too often and I've no problem dropping a book if its not doing it for me. The latest one I've dropped off on half way through is Earthsea by Ursula la Guin. Tis good though and I might go back to it. Fantasy gear.

I read it, I enjoyed it, but it's more contemplative fantasy. I certainly wouldn't hold it in the esteem it seems to be regarded.

Finally getting into Burroughs' The Soft Machine and I'm only on chapter 3 but I've burst out laughing at least once on every page and the wife thinks I'm reading some sort of comedy book and I really don't know if I am or not. It's quite something

Re reading Infinite Jest, summer sorted.

I just started Dan Jones - 'Crusaders: An Epic History Of The Wars For The Holy Lands' after re-reading 'The Templars: The Rise And Fall Of God's Holy Warriors' recently.

Also, I went into a book shop earlier while killing time before a medical appointment, and spotted Paul Brannigan's 'ERUPTION - The Eddie Van Halen Story' so I said I may as well pick it up. It was only 12 quid. 

It also seems to have been released under the name 'Unchained' which is a bit odd. Still, I had a gander earlier and it seems to have good reviews from the likes of Classic Rock and the guitar magazines, so I'm looking forward to reading it.   

I started into The Prince by Machiavelli last night. Just getting a few handy tips.