Got through the whole set finally

All in all it's worth having these records on vinyl, everything from Amon to Serpents is classic , and they all sound the business. The other three are a mixed bag, Insineratehymn as stated earlier was a surprise. Not a classic but the slower moodier material is a welcome change, I didn't appreciate it at the time.

When I threw on In torment I thought I was in for another treat but it's god awful. Production horrible, lyrics dreadful and material that was probably recorded as it was being written.

When Satan lives is one of the worst live albums I've ever heard. Guitar tone horrendous. Sounds like they're on stage with Metal Zone pedals. Very little in the way of banter from Benton that would indicate you are indeed listening to a live album and everything just sounds the same, like it was all pulled from one album.

The set though does not justify the €270-€300 price tag it currently commands, no lyric sheet for any album is criminal. The proper artwork for once upon the cross is missing due to lack of inner sheets etc. Type- Os to beat the band and complete lack of fanfare. Would some liner notes or booklet of photos etc have killed them?

I've always loved When Satan Lives. It was the next album i got after Serpents so holds a place for me.

This is a great show from that tour:

https://youtu.be/bGHuQh2_QXQ

Hated it then, hate it now. In fact I think all the death metal greats dropped clangers when it came to live records

Live Cannibalism
When Satan Lives
Dead
Entangled in Chaos

All utterly sterile and have the old contractual obligation/Filler vibe from them. Compared to Decade of Aggression or Live Shit for example.

:laugh:  :laugh: Had and loved all of those growing up. Had Live Cannibalism on video as well and I still put it on YouTube when I'm on the session.

Decade of Aggression was my first Slayer cd. Most songs at the cheapest price was my foolproof logic.

#19 May 21, 2023, 11:28:11 PM Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 12:06:57 AM by Eoin McLove
I've never really been into live albums but Decade of Aggression is a classic, as is Live After Death. I have the Live Cannibalism VHS which I bought way back when. A bit of a dull watch but the sound is savage.

Glad I didn't shell out for the Deicide box. Great to hear the sound is spot on but for that cash you'd want it to be visually stunning.

Great tunes, savage sound and heaps of nostalgia for me with Live Cammibalism. Despite Jack Owens looking like a substitute teacher.

Yep. Would prefer to have had vintage Chris Barnes on vocals of course. They aren't the most dynamic band to watch but always deliver the goods on the music front. Such a tight unit. Jack Owen always looked a bit catatonic onstage I think, but he looked like he was in a trance when he was younger. He started looking bored stiff in later years  ::)

Buy shitty format, win shitty Prizes. Anyway.

Death metal is not a style that lends itself to live albums, I have never heard a decent one. Even live, it descends into chaos, sonically. Never a genre I was a fan of live.

Just after seeing the Dismember vinyl box is up for sale. 3 more lps then the Deicide one, includes inserts and a big booklet yet is €30 odd cheaper than the cheapest price the Deicide box was selling for.

And I hear the music will be better too!  :laugh:  :abbath:

Sorry, couldn't resist; for me, Dismember > Deicide.

Didn't know this was a thing, very much looking forward to that.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 02, 2023, 03:03:20 PMAnd I hear the music will be better too!  :laugh:  :abbath:

No way I like Dismember but for me they don't come close to the first 4 Deicide albums.

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on June 02, 2023, 03:06:33 PMDidn't know this was a thing, very much looking forward to that.

LP reissues have been hinted at for about a year now but the box was only announced last night. If you want one I'd advise ordering right away as it's limited to 1000 and the band copies sold out in 30mins. Individual lps are also planned but no idea when they will be out.

Would be great to see another show over here now that they are touring again. Got into Dismember later than a lot of other bands so never bothered going to any of the Dublin shows they played.

Quote from: mickO))) on June 02, 2023, 03:16:22 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 02, 2023, 03:03:20 PMAnd I hear the music will be better too!  :laugh:  :abbath:

No way I like Dismember but for me they don't come close to the first 4 Deicide albums.

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on June 02, 2023, 03:06:33 PMDidn't know this was a thing, very much looking forward to that.

LP reissues have been hinted at for about a year now but the box was only announced last night. If you want one I'd advise ordering right away as it's limited to 1000 and the band copies sold out in 30mins. Individual lps are also planned but no idea when they will be out.

Would be great to see another show over here now that they are touring again. Got into Dismember later than a lot of other bands so never bothered going to any of the Dublin shows they played.

Yep, I'd put the first two Dismember albums over anything Deicide have put out - but then my initial review of the first Deicide album was (in full): "morons with guitars". I've come around a bit but there are only three Deicide albums I bother with.

I never got into Dismember. Must check them out.

Only ever listened to Dismember's first two, anything past that any use?