Last cd I bought was 20 years ago. If I like a band I'll go to a gig or get a tee shirt. I do stream on bandcamp or you tube. Spotify can go fuck itself.

Hey it's whatever works at this stage. It's not like we don't have options

Part of being a metal head was discovering and buying physical albums.I got an incredible buzz buying albums from a very young age.But 7/8 years ago i stopped,i had about 2000 cds,i sold/gave away the whole lot.Mainly because of a growing family,and id simply just got used to Spotify,pure lazyness.
I never collected records,went from cassettes to cds,but sometimes i think i missed out on something by not collecting vinyl years back.You just can't beat Dan Seagrave art on a big record sleve!

I was a kid around limewire and illegal downloading but when I got into music I was one of the few who bought and collected cds even when they started going out of fashion.

They were my main method of listening to music til about 2016/2017, using YouTube and the Internet for discovering new stuff.

In 2018 i got gifted one of those cheap portable vinyl players, which I still use and have a small collection of vinyl.

Im planning on upgrading to a proper turntable/speaker system in the summer so after that will focus on building my vinyl collection.

I've never paid for Spotify but my other half uses it so it can be handy on the rare occasion.

Any medium is fair game. I use Spotify, bandcamp and YouTube as well as buying records. Don't really buy tapes or cds anymore.

Having access to so much music on Spotify is a resource I'd never want to live without. Don't particularly care about their model or practices.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 06, 2023, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: vinterland on April 06, 2023, 01:30:32 PMYes I prefer owning a physical copy but a huge amount of the albums I listen to nowadays are either on Youtube or Spotify, even with the excruciaating ad breaks. Only yesterday I came across a copy of Firepower I'd purchased last summer in Hamburg. The packaging wasn't even opened, yet I know the album off by heart. Still can't shake the feeling that I'm supporting the artists by having the genuine article. Eight to nine hundred CDs at this juncture from Ablaze my Sorrow to Zyklon and everything you can imagine in between.

Celine Dion?

Worse. Bon Jovi.

Quote from: vinterland on April 06, 2023, 01:30:32 PMYes I prefer owning a physical copy but a huge amount of the albums I listen to nowadays are either on Youtube or Spotify, even with the excruciating ad breaks. Only yesterday I came across a copy of Firepower I'd purchased last summer in Hamburg. The packaging wasn't even opened, yet I know the album off by heart. Still can't shake the feeling that I'm supporting the artists by having the genuine article. Eight to nine hundred CDs at this juncture from Ablaze my Sorrow to Zyklon and everything you can imagine in between.

Celine Dion?

Quote from: vinterland on April 07, 2023, 12:06:26 AM
Quote from: vinterland on April 06, 2023, 01:30:32 PMYes I prefer owning a physical copy but a huge amount of the albums I listen to nowadays are either on Youtube or Spotify, even with the excruciating ad breaks. Only yesterday I came across a copy of Firepower I'd purchased last summer in Hamburg. The packaging wasn't even opened, yet I know the album off by heart. Still can't shake the feeling that I'm supporting the artists by having the genuine article. Eight to nine hundred CDs at this juncture from Ablaze my Sorrow to Zyklon and everything you can imagine in between.

Celine Dion?

Worse. Bon Jovi.

Quote from: Ducky on April 06, 2023, 04:15:55 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 06, 2023, 12:39:06 PMOn the one hand, I'd like to agree, because it's what feels like it's true. But in reality, I have many vinyl I almost never listen to and plenty of albums I only ever stream, and endlessly (cos don't own a physical copy). But then, when I stream, it's only ever full albums, and I think that's because I grew up on physical releases. It'd be interesting to hear from younger folk who have the opposite experience; grew up on mp3s and/or streaming and then got into buying vinyl or CDs later.

Yeah I'm in the "old fart" category here too. Doesn't matter the medium, I listen to albums the whole way through (aside from when I'm deliberately using a playlist).

I quite like Spotify's "play something similar" feature when an album finishes. I've found a few cool bands that way, and it reminds me of when someone would tape an album for you and they'd stick a few extra songs on the end to fill the cassette's runtime.

That said, I still like having a meaty physical and meatier digital collection, but any opportunity that presents me with music I want to hear has its place.

That's exactly how I discovered Deceased's Luck of the Corpse. Friend threw on the first two tracks of their debut as there was enough room left over after he recorded The Bleeding onto one side of a TDK.

Quote from: vinterland on April 07, 2023, 12:04:30 AMWorse. Bon Jovi.

Nothing wrong with Slippery When Wet or New Jersey. Most of them, anyway. The rest's a pile of shite alright.

Quote from: Carnage on April 07, 2023, 12:26:10 AM
Quote from: vinterland on April 07, 2023, 12:04:30 AMWorse. Bon Jovi.

Nothing wrong with Slippery When Wet or New Jersey. Most of them, anyway. The rest's a pile of shite alright.

Suffice to say the two releases would be post millennial material. Come to think of it a spring clean is long overdue.

Cd's....never stopped...have tonnes of vinyl, scaled back last 8 years or so vinyl because its turned into an absolute farce....amazon prime most cd's are for the price of a pint in dublin/cork city centre..its great

CDs all the way, never got into vinyl which is probably a good thing the way prices are going now. I'll check stuff out on youtube or bandcamp, and if I like it I'll grab a cd

Physical all the way. I buy everything on CD. Have a stereo in the living room. Rip everything to the laptop for transfer to the DAP for commuting etc. I like Spotify for playlists for the car....and more importantly, helping the young one discover music. Even though she has a heap of vinyl, her main listening is Spotify from her phone through wireless headphones.