#1201 November 10, 2020, 03:41:24 PM Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:46:49 PM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Carnage on November 07, 2020, 12:00:47 AM
The first hour is torture, from what I remember. That wedding scene just wouldn't end. I get that it was setting up how close they were, but I was relieved when it ended.

Agreed. The actual crux of the story/ the acting are both top notch but "The Deer Hunter" bloated and is about 60 mins too long.

I know Michael Cimino won Oscars for Best Picture and Director in 1979 but it definitely could do with being tightened up. Perhaps if Peter Zinner was allowed more control on the edit then Cimino wouldn't have been given further carte blanche on the disastrous "Heaven's Gate".

I haven't seen Hal Ashby's "Coming Home" based on the same subject (and made in the same year) in a long time but I think, from memory, it's a better movie. Certainly more enjoyable.

Valhalla Rising.

Best thing I've seen in years.

That said I watch very little film these days. I'm far too hard to please and resent time wasted if it turns out not up my street.

Great film that, the only one of his that I go back to, to be honest.

Yeah, excellent film.

I just watched Click with Adam Sandler which was a fascinating off- beat comedy that really got the grey matter working. His acting, as ever, was second to none, and with the supporting cast of Kate Beckinsale, Christopher Walken and David Hasselhoff behind him that is really saying something. Incredible direction from Frank Coraci and it was great to see Nancy Karlin back in the driver's seat in the Script and Continuity Department. Her work is always spine tingling. Helen Lutter was an unexpected (and inspired) choice for Costume Design. Her avant garde approach could have jarred with the subtlety of Sandler's performance, but she got the pitch just right. I really can't recommend this one enough. 34% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Brilliant! More of that, please.  :laugh:

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2017/10-extremely-long-movies-that-are-worth-your-time/

Four of these are already on my to-watch list, including Once Upon A Time In America, which I should have seen by now really. Anyway, if anyone's looking for a good way to kill a fortnight or so during lockdown!

Once Upon A Time in America is great, possibly my fave Sergio Leone movie. However, The Leopard is easily in my top ten of all time. They used to have it in the Ilac Centre library. I took it out from there on a whim when I was on the scratch and fell completely in love with it.

Quote from: blessed1 on November 10, 2020, 01:51:12 PM
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1361835/

Another excellent thriller I watched recently.

Watched that last night. A superb film.

Quote from: Crow on November 11, 2020, 05:05:36 AM
Once Upon A Time in America is great, possibly my fave Sergio Leone movie. However, The Leopard is easily in my top ten of all time. They used to have it in the Ilac Centre library. I took it out from there on a whim when I was on the scratch and fell completely in love with it.

I have never seen that movie.

I'd happily sit through a three hour movie with Claudia Cardinale in it, the story being interesting would be a bonus.

Amen to that. Keep your Sophia Loren, Claudia Cardinale is where it's at. Once Upon A Time In The West being another prime example.

Finally got around to watching 'The Red Pill' on Amazon this evening. It is a show guaranteed to piss plenty of people off, but the facts are undeniable.