Quote from: Caomhaoin on November 02, 2020, 03:44:47 PM
Dracula is a great laugh. Is it for the thespians? Maybe not but who cares?

As I said, for me anyway, the problem with it is that it does try to be for the thespians, like a Hammer for thespians, and ends up as a lukewarm mix, albeit with incredible visual style. Must give Mary Shelley's Frankenstein a revisit, now that it's been mentioned. Think I only saw it once, but it certainly has much better actors in its supporting roles, with the exception of Monica Bellucci, who couldn't possibly be bested.

Gaspar Noé's Climax, loved it, and saw his more recent one there a couple of weeks ago, Lux Aeterna. Personally, I don't think he's put a foot wrong yet in his career. You can always be guaranteed an absolutely unpredictable ride, never the same film twice, but also unmistakably him.

And agreed on Emily Blunt; head-wrecking screen presence. She ruined Sicario, if you ask me.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 02, 2020, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on November 02, 2020, 03:44:47 PM
Dracula is a great laugh. Is it for the thespians? Maybe not but who cares?

As I said, for me anyway, the problem with it is that it does try to be for the thespians, like a Hammer for thespians, and ends up as a lukewarm mix, albeit with incredible visual style. Must give Mary Shelley's Frankenstein a revisit, now that it's been mentioned. Think I only saw it once, but it certainly has much better actors in its supporting roles, with the exception of Monica Bellucci, who couldn't possibly be bested.

Gaspar Noé's Climax, loved it, and saw his more recent one there a couple of weeks ago, Lux Aeterna. Personally, I don't think he's put a foot wrong yet in his career. You can always be guaranteed an absolutely unpredictable ride, never the same film twice, but also unmistakably him.

And agreed on Emily Blunt; head-wrecking screen presence. She ruined Sicario, if you ask me.

I had to Google what a thespian is.
I honestly haven't a clue what the hell you are getting at by saying its for thespians.
Are you saying it's aimed at people who are into acting and drama?
I'm not into any of that shit and loved it.
I reckon you pick up the dictionary every morning and pick out some words from it and integrate it into your rantings on here.

#1127 November 02, 2020, 05:38:24 PM Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:41:31 PM by Nail_Bombed
FFC's Dracula is pretty much a hamfeast, and taken as such it's brilliant. You can tell what a time the actors are having, particularly Hopkins as Helsing - at turns both ferocious and hilarious. Overblown, pomp, and gothic camp. The only takeaway from the plotting I have is they worked in a romance story from The Mummy (not the Brendan Fraser one, the original), which wasn't in Bram Stoker's Dracula novel.
Less said about Keanu's limp, turgid acting and awful British accent the better though.

#1128 November 02, 2020, 05:38:41 PM Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:25:36 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: blessed1 on November 02, 2020, 05:21:51 PM
I honestly haven't a clue what the hell you are getting at by saying its for thespians.
I reckon you pick up the dictionary every morning and pick out some words from it and integrate it into your rantings on here.

You know what the word "try" means though, right? So, when I say it felt like it was trying to be for thespians, that doesn't mean that it is. In fact, it indicates that it fails in that attempt. It falls flat on its face in between Hammer and Stoker, in short, in my view. Christ, we're discussing a film adaptation of a literary classic written by a theatre critic and someone has a go over use of the word "thespian." Jesus wept blood.

Edit: I'm also not having a go at you for not knowing a word either, but you look it up, you say, "Well, whaddya know!", and you get on with life glad to have learnt something; what's just a little bit weird, in men pushing middle age, is to try to turn the occasion into a cool kids versus nerds school yard goad.

Quote from: Nail_Bombed on November 02, 2020, 05:38:24 PM
Hopkins as Helsing - at turns both ferocious and hilarious. Overblown, pomp, and gothic camp.

Hopkins is great in it, in fairness. His might be the only character/performance where the balancing act works perfectly. Maybe due to his thespian background  :abbath:

Just remembered people here having good things to say about the BBC Dracula series, going to give that a go tonight

#1131 November 02, 2020, 08:35:11 PM Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:38:05 PM by Ollkiller
Quote from: Trev on November 02, 2020, 07:41:02 PM
Just remembered people here having good things to say about the BBC Dracula series, going to give that a go tonight

Aye some liked it. I hated it. There's a few certain scenes in the book that have to be nailed on and they didn't get anywhere near the level of shock or horror or just plain fear that exudes from the book.

As regards the film. Ya Reeves is just the wrong pick all day long. Thought Oldman and Hopkins were fantastic and it is a good enough film but if ever a film was crying for for a proper remake its Dracula, but they'd be probably fuck it up as usual.

Quote from: Trev on November 02, 2020, 07:41:02 PM

I really liked the first ep or 2. The last one, however, was one of the stupidest things I've seen.

Quote from: Emphyrio on November 02, 2020, 09:22:47 PM
I really liked the first ep or 2. The last one, however, was one of the stupidest things I've seen.
Well, one episode down and enjoyed it, going to have to stick it out now

Quote from: Ollkiller on November 02, 2020, 08:35:11 PM
As regards the film. Ya Reeves is just the wrong pick all day long. Thought Oldman and Hopkins were fantastic and it is a good enough film but if ever a film was crying for for a proper remake its Dracula, but they'd be probably fuck it up as usual.
There was one a few years ago that was fucking atrocious, Dracula Untold. It's a story that'll keep getting picked up again constantly though, eventually one of them is going to be brilliant

Quote from: Trev on November 02, 2020, 09:45:44 PM
Quote from: Emphyrio on November 02, 2020, 09:22:47 PM
Well, one episode down and enjoyed it, going to have to stick it out now

There was one a few years ago that was fucking atrocious, Dracula Untold. It's a story that'll keep getting picked up again constantly though, eventually one of them is going to be brilliant

Come back to me if you manage to see it out to the end.

On the subject of Dracula, BBC4 had an hour-long programme about the character's origins and various onscreen representations earlier. Presented by Mark Gatiss, seems to have been made as they were filming that recent BBC one. Repeated at 2:30am if anyone's bothered.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 02, 2020, 05:38:41 PM
Quote from: blessed1 on November 02, 2020, 05:21:51 PM

Edit: I'm also not having a go at you for not knowing a word either, but you look it up, you say, "Well, whaddya know!", and you get on with life glad to have learnt something; what's just a little bit weird, in men pushing middle age, is to try to turn the occasion into a cool kids versus nerds school yard goad.

Ya know what your dead right. I flew of the handle there. Apologies.

Well, as long as my 20-a-day hifalutin word habit stays between us...

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is a brilliant film. I had the video and watched it a lot as a young lad. The book is great too but I only got around to reading it a few years ago.

Instinct. Simon Pegg was good in this.