#570 June 05, 2020, 05:55:09 PM Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:13:35 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Well, if you want the least controversial opinion this thread will ever contain, it's that Alexi Laiho is a thoroughbred idiot.

Didn't see the Shepherd's original post last night,  just saw Ducky's one  about Dane and thought, eh?,.wha? ,how's that controversial?
My bad , my soz
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Ducky on June 05, 2020, 05:52:42 PM

This reminds me of an interview I read in a Century Media catalogue with Alexi Laiho where they played him some recent releases, Dead Heart in a Dead World being one of them.

His response was along the lines of "I thought the band would be all about dragons and stuff, the guitarist is good I guess but they need proper vocals". Fuck that guy.
Shame he won't take his own advice, Bodom would have been pretty decent with an actual singer fronting them

#573 June 05, 2020, 11:56:39 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:07:23 PM by mugz

Bought a huge amount from them back in the day when the average price of a CD was 26 DM. Apart from the catalogues you'd get a Soundcheck CD where you could get a taster of some bands you may not have been overly familiar with when Youtube and Spotify were unheard of. Releases by bands such as Troll, Unanimated and Vinterland were all on offer for beteen £6 and £8. Learnt German in school so had a rough idea what I was buying. Displeased Records in the Netherlands were also generous with their catalogues when the euro came in used to send them well concealed cash in the post. Never let me down once.

Quote from: mugz on June 05, 2020, 11:56:39 PM
I miss those days when labels would send out printed material. I used to have  a bunch of mags from Nuclear Blast

#575 June 06, 2020, 01:37:07 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:07:37 PM by mugz

Sorry to hear that but unsurprising for the day and age we're living in. Could not fault Displeased in all the years I dealt with them. Like No Fashion Records and Cacophonous sometimes the smaller and more obscure labels turn up trumps when it comes to unearthing classics.

Quote from: mugz on June 06, 2020, 01:37:07 PM
Quote from: vinterland on June 06, 2020, 01:18:15 PM
Bought a huge amount from them back in the day when the average price of a CD was 26 DM. Apart from the catalogues you'd get a Soundcheck CD where you could get a taster of some bands you may not have been overly familiar with when Youtube and Spotify were unheard of. Releases by bands such as Troll, Unanimated and Vinterland were all on offer for beteen £6 and £8. Learnt German in school so had a rough idea what I was buying. Displeased Records in the Netherlands were also generous with their catalogues when the euro came in used to send them well concealed cash in the post. Never let me down once.

Quote from: mugz on June 05, 2020, 11:56:39 PM
I miss those days when labels would send out printed material. I used to have  a bunch of mags from Nuclear Blast

until just now didn't know Displeased had folded. what's the world worth when all the random small, often Dutch, metal labels are done for

#577 June 06, 2020, 02:14:57 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:07:58 PM by mugz

Inspired by the "now playing" thread, the last sucker by ministry is a fantastic album

Quote from: skuddington on June 14, 2020, 11:31:49 AM
Inspired by the "now playing" thread, the last sucker by ministry is a fantastic album
No Glory is a great tune

Quote from: lifeeternal on June 14, 2020, 02:07:24 PM
No Glory is a great tune

I really wanted and tried hard to like that album, I really did. No Glory is not bad to be fair and there are good moments scattered through the album but in the end it just wasn't enough to make me want to listen to it ever again. It got a fairer crack of the whip than a lot of albums because it still says Ministry on it. I wonder if I hadn't been familiar with them and heard it, maybe I'd have liked it more instead of measuring it against their classic stuff.

#581 June 15, 2020, 04:47:50 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:08:22 PM by mugz

I love Ministry up until about 2003. Saw them on the Animositisomina tour and they were phenomenal. Saw them on the C U LaTour in 08 and they were only ok.

I wasn't super familiar with ministry when I got it, I'm still not tbh, have dark side and Psalm and last sucker. Maybe that's the trick! Saw them live at wacken I think? Can't remember when but Joey jordison was on drums, and I was blown away, wasn't expecting much, I kind of considered them a studio band for some reason. But yeah, die in a crash and the dick song are both great too.

Still a big regret of mine missing them in Temple bar music centre in 2003,the gig in 08 wasnt great at all,for a so called final show/tour they didnt play enough old material.Overall it was just a flat show.