So..
I was at lunch with some people who don't drink much, grand. I get myself one beer extra than the one I already had, sit back down and I get looks, someone comments "Another beer?". Embarrassment sinks in, I try to defend myself with the usual patter of "I'm Irish haha", but they don't buy it. Who cares,  I drink my second small beer in silence.
It led me to wonder if the Irish drinking thing is a cliché or are there any more nationalities 'worse' than the Irish for drinking as far as international reputation goes?

Here ya go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita#Countries

Ireland is 7th per capita. So not first, but pretty high. And if there was a way of measuring for binge drinking behavior exclusively, we'd prob go up again on a per capita basis.

Without looking at the list, any Finns I've met are horrendous peeve artists. Germans too, especially the football fans 'on tour' here in Madrid.

Jaysus, Moldova have really taken to the sup since the previous findings in 1996!!

Stares for a 2nd  small beer, jesus wept. It's not like you had kids in the bar at 10pm while you were on the lash 🙄

Quote from: Snare on July 17, 2022, 05:59:43 PM
Jaysus, Moldova have really taken to the sup since the previous findings in 1996!!

Stares for a 2nd  small beer, jesus wept. It's not like you had kids in the bar at 10pm while you were on the lash 🙄

nah, just some people I don't know, friends of friends, got me thinking about cultural attitudes towards drink in general.

Frowns at a second beer, especially if a glass, is something I've never encountered with other nationalities in Europe. Were they Amish or something??

About our consumption in Ireland, we were 11th in 1996.

I wonder if we'd be lower or as high in 2016 if the nationality breakdown here hadn't changed in the intervening period, or if we hadn't become a comparatively "wealthier" country in the interim?

The Poles I've worked with certainly drink the rest of us under the table, but then you have more conservative cultures coming here as well to counter that select sample a bit.

As an aside, my brother used to play pro-tours for Magic: The Gathering card game years ago. Along with the other few top players in Ireland, they'd make the most of the tours to various cities in the US or Japan. They'd be skulling before playing as they met up with other contacts from around the world the day and nights before competing, but the others would be horrified this was how the Irish prepared rather than stressing about their building their decks! 😂 They'd be steaming playing at times and certainly didn't do anything to change our reputation abroad!

#7 July 17, 2022, 10:54:54 PM Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 10:59:27 PM by leatherface
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 17, 2022, 07:34:21 PM
Frowns at a second beer, especially if a glass, is something I've never encountered with other nationalities in Europe. Were they Amish or something??

No mates of mine, hangers on, but just made me wonder about attitudes towards drink globally and who drinks the most .

I lived in Prague in the 90s. Builders used to break at 10 for a beer with their breakfast. Great city and some drinking went on over there, beer mostly.
Poles I know would drink slot of spirits.

Yeah the Polacks don't fuck about. My ex-father in law, looked like a Father Christmas after a night on the crack, this auld fucker would drink vodka like you or I would sup tae.

Took me to move to Canada to truly realize just how much our culture revolves around drinking. For them it's just for specific drinking nights out, whereas I was used to having a drink on literally any social occasion. Fairly made the old online dating more awkward too, meeting for an afternoon coffee or walk instead of heading to a bar for a couple to take the edge off...

https://mobile.twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1551554633415512067

Here's a nice little graphic. You can see the craic going out of the place at the turn of the century but we were the undisputed kings of the 90s.  :'(

That's not the craic going out of the place; it's the introduction of buckfast and jagerbombs!

Yeah tbf I remember the 2000s being like an extension of the 90s until the crash. Almost the exact same actually, just with less craic and probably shitter music but that's a thread of its own. Wonder how much effect the 2 world cup appearances had on the overall intake?

Quote from: leatherface on July 17, 2022, 10:54:54 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 17, 2022, 07:34:21 PMFrowns at a second beer, especially if a glass, is something I've never encountered with other nationalities in Europe. Were they Amish or something??

No mates of mine, hangers on, but just made me wonder about attitudes towards drink globally and who drinks the most .

I was travelling back one evening from a job with a bollox of a work mate years ago.  Short 2 hour flight.  The airline was serving those small bottles of wine (about 250ml?) with the bit of a meal. I had one with the meal and one straight afterwards. They were doing one final run of the drinks and I asked yer man 'can you grab another one for me' (to have along with my own) and the stupid bollox wouldn't as he disapproved of "excessive drinking"