... You cannot make me a martyr!

Somehow there is no dedicated Primordial thread on the forum, which is criminal, so let's go. I had Calm Before Storm on today and what a savage album it is. It covers a lot of ground from harsh and aggressive black metal to atmospheric acoustic traditional pieces. I remember at the time thinking the production was a bit clean but I have no complaints with it today. The artwork was an eyesore but it became as much a part of the experience for me over the past two decades as the music so I was disappointed not to see it return on the Metal Blade LP issues from a few years back. I like the alternate artwork too, but you know yourself, nostalgia!

We must be getting close to a new album by now.

There is a primordial thread started by you actually. That's already 9 pages long lol.

#2 April 09, 2022, 09:55:58 AM Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 10:00:14 AM by Eoin McLove
 Weird, it didn't come upin my search... I am still searching...

Edit. Just looked again and it's not coming up for me. Sure look it.

Bizarre. It just ain't showing for me at all.

I  jump between  Spirit the Earth,and Calm before Storm as  Primordials best album.That late 90s early 2000s Primordial was peak for me.

Yeah me too. If I'm in the right mood I might add The Gathering Wilderness to that list.

Dya ever go back to the last one Andy? You were bang into it for a while. I've never got through the whole thing.

#8 April 09, 2022, 11:38:41 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 11:41:07 PM by Eoin McLove
I haven't put it on in a while now. I think it's a cool album for what it is. Maybe arguably Primordial-lite in some ways as it's like an album full of singles and various ideas that aren't so interconnected, but after a couple of albums that did little for me it sounded really fresh. In retrospect it isn't up there with the classics in their catalogue, but it's a cool album for what it is.

My main gripe with the two albums before it was that they seemed to be recycling ideas and becoming formulaic whereas the last one brought in a whole load of new styles and techniques. Whether they are worth exploring further is possibly another question.

The only one I have by them is Calm Before Storm and I haven't put it on in years. I remember thinking it was ok and I had a cdr of To The Nameless Dead which I liked a bit but in general I feel like I missed the boat with these lads for one reason or another.

I'd say give The Gathering Wilderness a lash if you've any interest.

I absolutely love Redemption. I still think it's a fantastic album on all fronts.

The last release is the one I'd listen to the least. It never clicked despite me giving it a good amount of time. Having said that there are parts of it that do hit the spot.

I look forward to the next release..
I find there is always a huge amount of anticipation and discussion when they put one out.

They've just put out a 'Redux' version of Redemption featuring an alternate/demo version of the album actually, gonna have a listen later.

Spirit through to Nameless Dead are where it's at for me.
The three after I just can't get into at all. To the point where i didn't even bother with the last one.

The debut and Journey's End are very much of their time, though. Rough and awkward even, but an essential starting point to build from.

The first two are great on their own way but you can really pick out the influences. Their unique sound is there though, just in a more basic form.