To be fair, he's no higher than Halford, but has a much 'thinner', more nasal voice IMO. Painful. It's glorified AOR to my ears.

Yeah I'm going to give that a miss.

Thinking of trying a it of Leonard Cohen next after hearing him for the first time this week. Which was why I got this thread going. If someone can make the case for something being the best ever it must be worth a go.

Ah fuck I'm going to have to try the Operation: Mindcrime now... I should have kept the thoughts to myself..

Tate has an amazing voice.

Quote from: astfgyl on August 01, 2021, 01:11:21 AM
Yeah I'm going to give that a miss.

Thinking of trying a it of Leonard Cohen next after hearing him for the first time this week. Which was why I got this thread going. If someone can make the case for something being the best ever it must be worth a go.

Ah fuck I'm going to have to try the Operation: Mindcrime now... I should have kept the thoughts to myself..

Try The Queen Of The Reich. If you don't like it, then, well, yeah, this band or this style of music in general is just not for you.

Ended up having an exchange of tunes over messenger with a chap instead but I'll try that tune to see

Quote from: warhead on August 01, 2021, 12:13:27 PM
Try The Queen Of The Reich. If you don't like it, then, well, yeah, this band or this style of music in general is just not for you.

Yeah, the s/t EP is the best thing Queensrÿche ever did.

But, on the other hand, Midnight from Crimson Glory had a much better voice than Tate. So even if you hate Queen of the Reich, give Transcendence by Crimson Glory a go. To my mind, it's pretty much the pinnacle of that style.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 01, 2021, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: warhead on August 01, 2021, 12:13:27 PM

Yeah, the s/t EP is the best thing Queensrÿche ever did.

But, on the other hand, Midnight from Crimson Glory had a much better voice than Tate. So even if you hate Queen of the Reich, give Transcendence by Crimson Glory a go. To my mind, it's pretty much the pinnacle of that style.

A really good call.

I love the way I put up the undoubtedly excellent Operation : Mindcrime as a potential best album ever and the next few posts are aimed at undermining my suggestion. The "I prefer the obscure first EP merchants to the I don't rate his voice guy. To the recommend some other similar band in this vein instead character"

Just admit it ye clowns and stop beings such cocks.

Sure look it, in terms of metal discussion at least, it was a great candidate! I do like Tate's voice, I just think Midnight's is the best there's ever been in that style. And there are some great moments on O:M, undoubtedly...I just find the "earnest" bits ("We can pay for wars in South America", etc.) a bit cringe in the execution, I'm afraid.

I love your reply thank you.

I admit that I believe that Queensryche are a terrible, terrible band.

Quote from: Don Gately on August 01, 2021, 10:21:50 PM
I love the way I put up the undoubtedly excellent Operation : Mindcrime as a potential best album ever and the next few posts are aimed at undermining my suggestion. The "I prefer the obscure first EP merchants to the I don't rate his voice guy. To the recommend some other similar band in this vein instead character"

Just admit it ye clowns and stop beings such cocks.

:)
We were just trying to offer alternatives, jeeeeeez.....

I wonder where the classical stuff fits in all of this? Not really albums as such though, or is it? Some of that stuff is going for hundreds of years

Operation Mindcrime is their best album by far and one of the greatest rock/metal albums of all time.
It never leaves my media player at work, one of the few constants.