#870 July 31, 2020, 12:26:04 PM Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:28:59 PM by Caomhaoin
Being offended is what your shower do, I believe I was simply correcting what I consider to be a, let's say, 'generalisation', sin nada. Call a spade a spade all you like, I couldn't care less. It's a free country, or at least it used to be. As the user who enjoys and engages in correcting others more than any other, and by some distance , whether they were being facetious or not, I'm surprised you think I'm getting offended or 'picking battles'.

Funny or not, 'livingabortion' was just trying to make a joke based on a stereotype...a stereotype which, for purposes of a joke, largely holds up in the context of the video preceding it. You coming in with a "Well, actually..." style correction seemed to go very much against the kind of "anti-PC" schtick you go on about. But sure look it, we all have our own triggers based on our personal experiences!

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 31, 2020, 07:38:28 AM
What does that even mean? From experience, I'd say the people in West Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama are far more welcoming and genuine people than in California for example.

So what if they are pro-gun and anti-abortion to a greater extent than your average blue state? It's not quite as oxymoronic as you seem to think it is.

Touched a nerve have I?  :laugh:
"AAY LIIIIKE, GUNS, JESUS AND NASCAR!"
It is fairly oxymoronic. "We don't allow killing while they're in the womb, but outside it's open season".
And, I didn't say they were unwelcoming

Hey Coamhain, do you fancy your cousin?  :laugh: (only joking)
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

That contradiction joke only really works with the death penalty btw, and since Georgia also has that...

Ah yeah, I hear they're great for the KKK-éad míle fáilte in the South alright

Ha, that's just reminded me of that joke from the time of the Ryder Cup in Ireland;
Prionsias De Rossa greets some of the players off the planes and Tiger Woods gets to asking him what he knows about the venue.
"Th-th-the v-venue? It-t-t's at th-the Ke-K-K-K C-club."
"What! Screw that man, I'm getting back on the plane! I get enough shit from those crackers back home!"

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 31, 2020, 11:30:22 AM
This is the current, elected governor of Georgia, fyi:

https://youtu.be/_TJS7cleb7E

You really do pick some funny battles Kev.

That video is hilarious. You could seem him laughing as he was saying the lines  :laugh:
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on July 31, 2020, 01:40:37 PM

Just let that hang there like the vile, odious fart that it is.

Quote from: livingabortion on July 31, 2020, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 31, 2020, 07:38:28 AM
What does that even mean? From experience, I'd say the people in West Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama are far more welcoming and genuine people than in California for example.

So what if they are pro-gun and anti-abortion to a greater extent than your average blue state? It's not quite as oxymoronic as you seem to think it is.

Touched a nerve have I?  :laugh:
"AAY LIIIIKE, GUNS, JESUS AND NASCAR!"
It is fairly oxymoronic. "We don't allow killing while they're in the womb, but outside it's open season".
And, I didn't say they were unwelcoming

Hey Coamhain, do you fancy your cousin?  :laugh: (only joking)

I'm not getting into the abortion thing again, it'll end up with me and Chris sending anthrax through the post to each other (could be a CD or the powder, toxicity guaranteed). But the vast majority of gun crime over there is committed with illegal firearms. I don't see why they shouldn't have the right to protect what's there's with freedomarms.

Playing devil's advocate here a bit, but what is it that is so wrong with that video anyway?

Ok so he's a bit stereotypical to be fair but it seems that he wishes to uphold the right to bear arms as outlined in their constitution. That in itself doesn't seem so bad. He also wants to remove folks who are illegally residing in the country. Nothing wrong with that either. (other than the irony of almost all Americans being illegal occupiers of somebody else's land, but that is historical stuff). He also wants to drive a big jeep. No bother with that either. In fact, with the reintroduction of the greens into Irish politics and their poxy idea of banning petrol and diesel cars after 2030, I'm inclined to agree with him to an extent. There is also the argument that if guns are criminalised, only the criminals will have guns, which seems to be a fair enough assessment of things. I say that as someone who is glad that I live in a country where any fucker can't just go get a gun without going through a bit of proper process, but also as someone who is aware that in this country it is no bother for the criminals to get them.

I don't align with left or right by the way, but I find a lot of the arguments between the entrenched fascinating, as I do the idea of being a fervent supporter of any ideaology.

And in an effort to at least pay lip service to the thread title, that antitrust hearing was a load of shite. It seemed about as useless as the tribunals we used to be so fond of here.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the video. I just said it was a video made by a redneck in order to garner support from rednecks by using as many stereotypical redneck references as possible, because he knew there were enough "redneck and proud" types registered to vote in his state to get him elected. Apparently we should be able to joke about anything, but premising a joke on Georgia being a redneck state, despite its governor getting himself elected on essentially that same premise, that's a step too far.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 31, 2020, 03:26:04 PM
Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on July 31, 2020, 01:40:37 PM

Just let that hang there like the vile, odious fart that it is.

Lad, it's a joke, and fairly obviously so.

Why is this bothering you so much?

Why is what bothering me so much? Some of you seem to be imagining me like Leather Mike with steaming coming out of his ears after Chris called him a cartoon character.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 31, 2020, 04:58:16 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the video. I just said it was a video made by a redneck in order to garner support from rednecks by using as many stereotypical redneck references as possible, because he knew there were enough "redneck and proud" types registered to vote in his state to get him elected. Apparently we should be able to joke about anything, but premising a joke on Georgia being a redneck state, despite its governor getting himself elected on essentially that same premise, that's a step too far.

Fair points there. I can see that is exactly what he was doing as well. I was just sort of stirring about how we all go into stitches at these videos (me included!) when once I get down to the nuts and bolts of it in my head there is nothing inherently wrong with it.

I didn't say there was or wasn't anything wrong with it  ;)