They say Colston shipped 100,000 slaves to the Americas, 20,000 of whom ended up at the bottom of the sea en route. So they pushed a statue of him into the water, a statue that didn't go up until 1895. Pretty mild in real terms (20,000 corpses versus a toppled statue), but an effective statement of poetic justice. I presume, like me, you think it was ridiculous awarding Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for whatever kind of supposedly "good" deeds he got up to while waging war and bombing civilians in several countries; similarly, it was totally blind to ever spend money on an homage to this guy for being a "philanthropist." I do wonder at what point some contrarians would say, "Ah yeah, fair enough."

It's no coincidence that people of Puritan or Protestant backgrounds go on with it. They've just found another way to flagellate themselves now that religion has been taken out of the equation. I can't remember who I heard talking about it..the witchhunts, the child saints(Greta), the self hatred, the end of the world talk. It's the same oul spoof but with a new lick of paint on it.

I think ive made about 20 attempts throughout this thread to post my feelings on this and ive ended up deleting them each time

Quote from: mickO))) on June 08, 2020, 10:14:23 PM
Justin Trudeau being the great guy that he is joined protesters in Ottawa last Friday and took a knee. He did this just a week after announcing that all parliament activities would cease until September because it was just too dangerous with the Coronavirus going around.

Justin Trudeau is a special case altogether. I'm finding it hard to think of a bigger assclown on the global political stage.  Is there even a close second?

#409 June 08, 2020, 10:18:44 PM Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:20:25 PM by Caomhaoin
Sweden has basically attempted national suicide and it's the people objecting to the unsustainable immigration being permitted who are vilified.

You can kind of get it with Germany, war guilt still lingers there to an extent. But Sweden? Gustavus Adolphus and the boys stuck their noses in the 30 years war in the 1640's, their power was essentially ended by the Russians the following century. For all intents and purposes, a non-aligned country since.

Douglas Murray gives this kind of thing an interesting analysis in his excellent 'the strange death of Europe'. It's 1984. Two minutes of hate, constant conflict, no contrary opinions will be tolerated. Look how those idebtitarians in Austria are being portrayed as Nazis?

Quote from: hellfire on June 08, 2020, 10:18:09 PM
Justin Trudeau being the great guy that he is joined protesters in Ottawa last Friday and took a knee. He did this just a week after announcing that all parliament activities would cease until September because it was just too dangerous with the Coronavirus going around.

Justin Trudeau is a special case altogether. I'm finding it hard to think of a bigger assclown on the global political stage.  Is there even a close second?

Leo?
Macron is not so much an assclown as an out and out cunt, but he started out looking very similar to those two.

Leo is not even in the same pantheon as that lad.  Trudeau is a deity among the other assclowns.

#412 June 08, 2020, 10:21:47 PM Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:24:04 PM by Pedrito
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 08, 2020, 10:16:41 PM
They say Colston shipped 100,000 slaves to the Americas, 20,000 of whom ended up at the bottom of the sea en route. So they pushed a statue of him into the water, a statue that didn't go up until 1895. Pretty mild in real terms (20,000 corpses versus a toppled statue), but an effective statement of poetic justice. I presume, like me, you think it was ridiculous awarding Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for whatever kind of supposedly "good" deeds he got up to while waging war and bombing civilians in several countries; similarly, it was totally blind to ever spend money on an homage to this guy for being a "philanthropist." I do wonder at what point some contrarians would say, "Ah yeah, fair enough."

I would say fair enough tbh and only because the government or town hall are too thick to have done anything about it. Where does it stop though? And that's what makes me hesitate..just smash it all until nothing of history is left? I'd be for it instinctually but for all our convoluted thinking on some issues, it seems we can't apply it to every issue.

Quote from: hellfire on June 08, 2020, 10:07:27 PM
I hate the lumping in of all white people in this bizarre white guilt type game. Irish people don't have a significant history of invading other countries. Slave ownership was conducted all over the world for centuries. What am I apologizing for and when should I stop?

Also never understood modern Swedes obsession with it? I'm not much of a history buff by any stretch.

I feel the same.
I don't think I have anything to feel guilty about tbh.
I like to think I'm fairly sound and I don't care what color/race you are. Just because I don't feel the need to fuckin shout it from the rooftops that I'm not a racist doesn't mean I'm not doing anything about it ya know.
Social media has created all this shit.
Like I honestly don't see what putting a black box up on Facebook or whatever is actually going to do apart from make you feel good about yourself and get yourself a pat on the back.

Quote from: hellfire on June 08, 2020, 10:18:09 PM

He is in a league of his own. He also asked people not to speak "moistly" on each other during the protests to avoid spreading the virus.

Whether you feel it's poetic justice or not, what kind of a society do you want to live in? Where you and Dr Chomsky and the anarchists just smash up symbols you dislike?

I'm not going to defend the slave trade, it's indefensible . Maybe the statue should come down, but via agreement, not by a bunch of rabid 'protesters' valuing, as Dr Peterson puts it, instinct over reason.

Quote from: blessed1 on June 08, 2020, 10:22:42 PM
Quote from: hellfire on June 08, 2020, 10:07:27 PM
I hate the lumping in of all white people in this bizarre white guilt type game. Irish people don't have a significant history of invading other countries. Slave ownership was conducted all over the world for centuries. What am I apologizing for and when should I stop?

Also never understood modern Swedes obsession with it? I'm not much of a history buff by any stretch.

I feel the same.
I don't think I have anything to feel guilty about tbh.
I like to think I'm fairly sound and I don't care what color/race you are. Just because I don't feel the need to fuckin shout it from the rooftops that I'm not a racist doesn't mean I'm not doing anything about it ya know.
Social media has created all this shit.
Like I honestly don't see what putting a black box up on Facebook or whatever is actually going to do apart from make you feel good about yourself and get yourself a pat on the back.

The black box is some craic. Lads I know who are sending around all sorts of sketchy stuff on whassap lately and caving under the pressure when their missus blacks out facebook. Herd mentality...yes we're still going on like neanderthals.

In fairness that wouldn't even make the top 50 of dumb shit I've done for the sake of a ride.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 08, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
Whether you feel it's poetic justice or not, what kind of a society do you want to live in? Where you and Dr Chomsky and the anarchists just smash up symbols you dislike?

We'd be much better off with leaders who were similar to Chomsky than the likes of Trudeau, Obama, etc.!  In fact, if you want high precision take downs of Obama's hypocrisy, Chomsky is about the best go-to man going. Instinct has to come out in places; Peterson knows that from his readings of Jung. Better it come out in directed, symbolic ways with an extremely high potential for emotional discharge (such as the toppling of statues of slave dealers) than on undirected or misdirected chaos.

White muppets prostrating themselves in front of BLM activists to absolve them of their white guilt. I fucking cringe. I really do. Who, black or white or from the dark side of the moon, finds any sort of nobility or credibility in this kind of meaningless- truly truly meaningless- virtue signalling? I can't buy into this fake white guilt horse shite on any level, and neither should anyone else. It's just a form of twisted narcissism and does nothing but undermine real concerns. The farce of it is so utterly embarrassing.