Quote from: hellfire on June 11, 2020, 01:16:05 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 10, 2020, 11:33:52 PM
47 pages of glorious over-complication...

Thank yourself. All this bullshit about Marxist theory, Naom Chomsky and a whole other bunch of shite you like really assisted with that. The result of Karl Marx was communism. Go ask an Eastern European how well that worked out. Noam Chomsky is and was a professional whiner. If the cat had kittens he'd blame the USA. Intentionally misunderstanding points to divert them away from the questions asked, meandering through reams of bullshit while saying absolutely nothing and side winding through every discussion point bringing it back to some crap that you believe in is quite frankly annoying.

u ok hun x

That stopped being funny about three times ago. It's not catching on  :abbath:

Quote from: hellfire on June 11, 2020, 01:45:22 AM
That stopped being funny about three times ago. It's not catching on  :abbath:

I'm trying to bring it back. It was funny in 2016, but for some reason it feels just right for the crazy times we're in now.

I'm not sure what the fuck is going on in this thread, but I do know that this song is an absolute banger:

https://youtu.be/xKISdd2mKzU

Quote from: Giggles on June 11, 2020, 02:12:12 AM
I'm not sure what the fuck is going on in this thread, but I do know that this song is an absolute banger:

https://youtu.be/xKISdd2mKzU

to be fair that's well above average

those rolling drums

Quote from: mugz on June 11, 2020, 01:42:27 AM
Quote from: hellfire on June 11, 2020, 01:16:05 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 10, 2020, 11:33:52 PM
47 pages of glorious over-complication...

Thank yourself. All this bullshit about Marxist theory, Naom Chomsky and a whole other bunch of shite you like really assisted with that. The result of Karl Marx was communism. Go ask an Eastern European how well that worked out. Noam Chomsky is and was a professional whiner. If the cat had kittens he'd blame the USA. Intentionally misunderstanding points to divert them away from the questions asked, meandering through reams of bullshit while saying absolutely nothing and side winding through every discussion point bringing it back to some crap that you believe in is quite frankly annoying.

u ok hun x
Here lad, fuck off will ya....

#712 June 11, 2020, 09:23:56 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:29:05 AM by Eoin McLove
I would have imagined there was a high number of Asian people involved in STEM as they tend to be highly educated and highly driven. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Edit: from www.pewsocialtrends.com

"Asians are overrepresented in the STEM workforce, relative to their overall share of the workforce, especially among college-educated workers: 17% of college-educated STEM workers are Asian, compared with 10% of all workers with a college degree."

So are we calling Asian people white now? Seems like there's a bit of a convenient oversight going on there.

#713 June 11, 2020, 09:28:14 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:33:30 AM by Pedrito

You are correct! But 9% black workers in the field doesn't corroborate with the 13% of the population that they make up, so let's stop working. The tweets in that article are startling.

Scientists who told us that blacks are more vulnerable to Covid and to stay at home are now encouraging them to hit the streets because the virus of racism is way worse.

I'm confused by all this.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 11, 2020, 09:30:00 AM

Scientists who told us that blacks are more vulnerable to Covid and to stay at home are now encouraging them to hit the streets because the virus of racism is way worse.

I'm confused by all this.

And we'll most likely see a spike in cases due to the protests ->
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-11/victorian-black-lives-matter-protester-diagnosed-coronavirus/12343130

#716 June 11, 2020, 10:05:24 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:08:27 AM by Eoin McLove

https://youtu.be/V8fndiNZimA

I've been listening to these guys quite a bit over the past few days to try to get an alternative black perspective on all this. Maybe it's just that they are confirming my own biases,  as the old cliche goes,  but they seem to make a lot of sense to me.  Very rightly calling into question the "noble victim mentality" and calling out much of the hysteria,  hypocrisy and violence that is erupting in the wake of the George Floyd murderer. Worth a listen.  The problems in America and within the black American communities are much more complex and ingrained than simple white on black racism,  although that certainly exists to an ever diminishing degree.

Edit: I think these men are putting their necks more firmly on the chopping block by their use of reason than ten thousand spastic blue haired white cunts bowing to BLM and renouncing their own personal imagined oppressive past.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 11, 2020, 09:15:02 AM
Chris, have you downed tools today with these right on white coats?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/10/thousands-of-scientists-go-on-strike-to-protest-systemic-racism-stem.html

It was yesterday, but I didn't have that option. In the entire neuroscience campus where I work, comprising five research institutes and roughly a thousand personnel, I think I have seen three black researchers, all only at PhD level too. When I was at undergraduate level, there was a strong mix of ethnicity, but that dropped off massively at masters level, and again at PhD level. That's just my personal experience. I was struck by it, but it confirmed everything sociologists of the French education system have been saying since the 70s.

The way I understood it was that they weren't asking scientists to take to the streets but rather to spend the day thinking of ways of improving inclusivity. I dunno. I find how social issues are dealt with within academia to be often patronizing and cringe-worthy, but how something is dealt with is a different matter to whether there is something that needs addressing. 

You should probably get a pager, Chris, so these important questions from the bizarrely outraged can be answered swiftly, minimising their exposure to stress?

Ahsherlookit, it gives him the opportunity to flex those big intellectual biceps :)

But joking aside, relating to underrepresentation, how much of is down to choice, rather than systemic racism?  Feminists make similar claims about underrepresentation in engineering and over representation in nursing, the issue being the disparity in salary between the two professions (in most cases). In Sweden, one of the most liberal countries in the world, where there was campaigning to 'fix' the anomaly, the statistics are even more pronounced than the global average. It's not quite the same, but it seems that anti-woman bias in that case is essentially ghost hunting.

What I'm getting at is, and we clearly disagree on the existence of systemic racism, or more accurately, how significant it is,  Asians are over represented in STEM fields, at least in the US, so is it only to the benefit of white people, or are Asians (who do better in most areas of life which can be statistically measured than whites) also benificiaries?