Quote from: Pedrito on June 01, 2020, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 01, 2020, 07:08:35 PM
If people are interested, though it's to be taken with a pinch of salt, Anonymous have reactivated in part to share information about how various narratives are being released in efforts to de-legitimize the protests. This has nothing to do with whether it's right or wrong to destroy private property, but goes over and beyond into misinformation intended to herd the movement in a given direction. Every reason to believe such tactics are being used on both sides. Every reason to take it seriously too, since this may already be or at least has the potential to be the most widespread civil unrest in decades.

Definitely wouldn't be something new..do you have a link or do I just type Anonymous into google?

On that note, and trust me I know f all about Anonymous, but do they display a political leaning or what is the idea behind them?

I'd class them as anarchists. They're currently tweeting on @YourAnonCentral. They are 100% pro protest, so bear that in mind before going in. I mean, this is their thing; the system is rotten to the core, burn it down. But they're not stupid, they see strategizing, and they see how easily the left fall for it, which is what makes their perspective interesting. They'd be telling people not to start braying that Trump is fascist, for example, because they see that as a diversion and division tactic by the Republicans qua ruling authority, and so on.

there have been very few real protests, votes, elections in history, whatever history is. left hand plays the right  ;)

Quote from: mugz on June 01, 2020, 08:07:20 PM
there have been very few real protests, votes, elections in history, whatever history is. left hand plays the right  ;)

Best protest. Romania. See ya later Ceaușescu. There was a protest vote in our last election too with the Sinn Fein surge. Gonna be more of them here in the future with a younger populace voting left.

Yeah, I can't find the source right now, but Walter Lippmann put it in the 1930s that a sign of an advanced society was how little of real importance about it the public could alter at the polling booth. Walter Lippmann is one of the godfathers of neo-liberalism.

So, either the Sinn Féin surge won't really change that much of importance, or Ireland isn't such an advanced society  8) :abbath:

Quote from: Ollkiller on June 01, 2020, 08:16:49 PM
Quote from: mugz on June 01, 2020, 08:07:20 PM

Best protest. Romania. See ya later Ceaușescu. There was a protest vote in our last election too with the Sinn Fein surge. Gonna be more of them here in the future with a younger populace voting left.

they defused genuine resentment against the system by feeding you a predetermined result, aka sin fein protest vote, but mary lou is in on the masonry project, and there was never any real chance that varadkar would stand aside, him and martin are essentially one person, one head of many. You can vote for whoever you want but all their necks reach one body.

Couldn't give a fuck about the property damage at this stage in all honesty. I think they should stick to burning down police stations and slavery monuments etc, but fuck it, it's bigger than that. Amazing how quick people are to defend property over actual lives and downplay the state violence on blatant display here. The rioting didn't start until the authorities went in heavy handed.

National Guard and police shooting at peaceful protesters and bystanders constantly, and it's not in isolated incidents. They're not playing by their own rules, shooting indiscriminately at the press also (no, it wasn't just that lad on CNN) and when asked nicely are not considering how things may be changed, so what do ye expect people to do? Keep kneeling?

This is years of bullshit built up and largely unaddressed outside of bare minimum lip service. I'm not surprised by anything that's happened in the past week, to be perfectly honest, and neither should any Irish person be, given our own history.

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on June 01, 2020, 09:41:45 PM
I'm not surprised by anything that's happened in the past week, to be perfectly honest, and neither should any Irish person be, given our own history.

Sure most southerners have a hard time, or have never bothered, imagining what it was like to be a Catholic in the north in the 60s and 70s, let alone a black person in the US. But anyone who does want to try to understand the legacy they carry around with them from recent history, give this a go:
http://123movies.net/watch/kvXj7JGe-i-am-not-your-negro.html

#142 June 01, 2020, 11:19:40 PM Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:47:48 PM by Pedrito

Just reminded myself of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Dublin_riots

Would you understand the violent response better if it had happened in Belfast and it was 3 RUC/PSNI looking on as a fourth slowly and gratuitously asphyxiated a lad in an Ireland jersey in the middle of the day for no good reason at all? The troubles were heinous, but I definitely learned to understand them, despite the Brit-placating spin the Irish media put on all IRA activities during the 80s. Can you imagine if the IRA's activities had been reported on RTE in the same way that the BBC reports British Army overseas actions that inevitably leave civilians dead? It's something I started thinking about a lot when living in London. Anyway, that's an aside; but I think Belfast and Derry and more would be in fucking tatters if a murder like that happened, because all of that shit is still there, only just under the surface, as seen by the Derry riots in 2018. You'd just know, you'd be watching the video, feeling fucking sick and enraged, and you'd know; things are going to get ugly. And they would.

Quote from: Pedrito on June 01, 2020, 06:11:05 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on June 01, 2020, 05:39:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/fightnet/status/1267458798228291585?s=20

No messing with Jonny Bones. The lads don't even attempt to give him any backchat  :laugh:

jesus the thumping he would have got would have been frightening  :laugh:

This lad on the other hand didn't get away too easily. Some NFL monster just kicking lumps out of him https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=6HKw4-KOJBs&feature=emb_logo

:laugh: Those runners he has on are like boots.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but Floyd and the cop that killed him knew each other very well and were friends at one point when they worked security in a club years ago.

#145 June 02, 2020, 07:38:34 AM Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:43:51 AM by Pedrito
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 01, 2020, 11:49:36 PM

Would you understand the violent response better if it had happened in Belfast and it was 3 RUC/PSNI looking on as a fourth slowly and gratuitously asphyxiated a lad in an Ireland jersey in the middle of the day for no good reason at all? The troubles were heinous, but I definitely learned to understand them, despite the Brit-placating spin the Irish media put on all IRA activities during the 80s. Can you imagine if the IRA's activities had been reported on RTE in the same way that the BBC reports British Army overseas actions that inevitably leave civilians dead? It's something I started thinking about a lot when living in London. Anyway, that's an aside; but I think Belfast and Derry and more would be in fucking tatters if a murder like that happened, because all of that shit is still there, only just under the surface, as seen by the Derry riots in 2018. You'd just know, you'd be watching the video, feeling fucking sick and enraged, and you'd know; things are going to get ugly. And they would.

Plenty of stuff like that happened and it all led to utter fucking carnage up there. Wider society paid an awful debt, on all sides. The majority of people were simply grateful that there was any semblance of a society left by the end of it all. Of course in the States you have the element involved that simply want to use anything like this to do exactly that 'tear society down' and they'll use any excuse to do so.But ultimately it's everyday, working joes who are trying to make a better life for themselves and their families that have to endure while all around them is falling apart. And what was the end result? People had to sit down and work it out because the murder and the violence feels great as an outlet but there's absolutely nothing constructive about it.

These riots, the burning down of small businesses, the smashing of property, the assaults, the beatings..they do nothing but create more negaitivity and division and feed this narrative that somehow 99% of society, apart from a few bad eggs, aren't utterly horrified at what happened.

We've seen it all before, it's nothing new. If people expect any different outcome they're sadly mistaken. There's distinct racism, it's a cancer. It needs to be rooted out. But then there's the underlying game, the real racist structure that keeps all.these interest groups within all communities alive. It suits many people to perpetuate the idea that there is inherent racism in the system, in the world. We in Ireland spent so long blaming the Brits for absolutely everything that was wrong with our country that we failed to look at the deep issues that surrounded us. It crippled us, retarded us, fed into a lack of confidence in ourselves that persisted up until very recently. You probably had a degree and a swagger in your step going to London back in the day, try having no education, working in buildings, being looked on as a thick mick who could barely string a sentence together in English. My granduncle had  twins with an English woman back in the 60's and the family forbade her from seeing him ever again..that was real, blind racism and ignorance. But he didn't go out and burn stuff down, he stuck it out in London, worked his ass off and made a life for himself. There's tonnes of stories like that.

Point being..the 'us vs them', the big bad wolf stuff is a myth. Greater society is horrified and the longer the riots and violence goes on the more it only hurts itself. There is a better way, but it's less glamorous and romantic, and involves real dialogue, debate, changes in laws, changes in how we police, a constant bettering of our political system etc etc etc..daily, unglamorous, boring stuff. But this idea that has caught on now that 'society is against us', that it's rotten to the core, the idealism, the utopianism, us vs them, the system rigged..it's just a lot more attractive, it means we have no control over things and that we shouldn't even try to change them, and if we do, it should be done through the most destructive means possible. Utterly counterproductive.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 01, 2020, 11:49:36 PM

A guy I knew was involved in those riots. He knew fuck all about politics. Just a genuine dickhead.

I was actually there walking past at that riot. Some spanner thought a Unionist march in Dublin was somehow a good idea and then a load of wannabes and scumbags took advantage to do exactly what they always like to do..burn shit and break stuff. So they burnt and broke up their own city...genius stuff altogether.

Quote from: mickO))) on June 02, 2020, 05:01:11 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on June 01, 2020, 06:11:05 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on June 01, 2020, 05:39:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/fightnet/status/1267458798228291585?s=20

No messing with Jonny Bones. The lads don't even attempt to give him any backchat  :laugh:

jesus the thumping he would have got would have been frightening  :laugh:

This lad on the other hand didn't get away too easily. Some NFL monster just kicking lumps out of him https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=6HKw4-KOJBs&feature=emb_logo

:laugh: Those runners he has on are like boots.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but Floyd and the cop that killed him knew each other very well and were friends at one point when they worked security in a club years ago.

Not quite (and I'm getting into the habit of sourcing from right wing sources to assuage paranoia...):
https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-floyd-fired-officer-derek-chauvin-worked-at-same-minneapolis-nightclub

I don't need someone else's anecdotes to understand Irish history Pedrito; I'm Irish, so like everyone else I don't have to look back too far to feel it. My own grandparents were disowned by their families because one was Catholic, the other Protestant; I had an aunt and uncle who had to move to England in the 60s desperate for work. And they weren't educated, they and the rest of that side of my family grew up in Summerhill.

The violence in Ireland was inevitable because it was already systemic in British rule; the rule was violent. The US is also violent. It's a country built on violence and subjugation, in a way that even the Irish can't fully understand, because even the troubles don't compare to their history of violence, and those who committed the most violence are still on top. Anyway, to me it all seems so immediately understandable that the rage exists there and that it's going to come out in the way it is. Damage to businesses, etc., sure not good. Worrying when you go outside that you might get arrested or killed because a cop misinterprets a situation...difficult even to imagine, but real. And sure, it happens to white people in the US too. But if you're an unarmed non-white, you are up to 10 times more likely to be killed by the police. Not called a thick Mick; actually killed. Every non-white rioter, on top of many of them having fucking shit living conditions, also has that existential threat to contend with. So, you tell me what an "appropriate" response is...?

Pedrito's post above seems about right to me. Cool heads and dialogue are needed in the US right now.  I don't think those are traits the boul Donald is famous for and there is also the question of him playing politics with this to get himself re-elected. Mad shit.