Quote from: Pedrito on May 25, 2020, 05:16:08 PM
Quote from: hellfire on May 25, 2020, 04:30:41 PM
Wonder if they will hit the big leagues in the coming few years. Maiden and Priest are in the twilight of their careers. Slayer are cooked, Megadeth are not going to be around forever.  Consider the likes of Primordial, Amon Amarth and Behemoth taking the leap up.

No offence but them comparisons are enough to turn my stomach. 3 absolutely mediocre bands taking the place of gods of metal.

I'll make it worse for you so; in terms of mainstream pull, it's more likely to be the likes of Avenged Sevenfold. Primordial, AA and Behemoth don't even come close to the levels of popularity Maiden, Priest, Megadeth, etc., hit in their prime. On the other hand, I wouldn't call Primordial mediocre at all; there's no one like them for them to be mediocre alongside, making them truly and strictly speaking exceptional.

I was at Wacken in 2014. Amon Amarth definitely had the drawing power to fill the main stage twice over.

Wacken isn't exactly representative though, is it? Maiden, Priest and Megadeth were filling huge venues all around the world on headlining tours in the prime. Just look at where those three bands were playing in Ireland and the UK at the top of their game. AA don't come close.

Foo Fighters are probably the closest thing to a metal band to fill that gap.

Have Primordial ever played Download? Surely that’s more mainstream than the mainland Europe ones. I’m not implying that Wacken or Hellfest are underground or extreme by the way.
I would have thought that Download would be more Metal Hammer than Zero than Terrorizer. So info Primordial were playing that festival it would indicate them having more of a mainstream appeal.
Regardless I’d like to see them at one of the outdoor main stage larger festivals to see how it translates.

Are Behemoth and Amon Amarth a  bit on the extreme end of the scale compared to Maiden,Priest,Megadeth etc?.Is it a fair comparison?.

My 8 yr old is obsessed with Amon Amarth. So I dunno if they are that extreme!!

Who would be the biggest draw at a fest these days that would satisfy all types of metal heads?.Im not talking about one of the old guard (Maiden,Priest,Megadeth etc),but a more recent act?.

Amon Amarth have got massive alright,only really noticed when they did a promo video of their stage rig on a recent tour.

Yeah, but you're comparing to bands who charted - like normal charts charted - at the peak of their careers. There's maybe Tool, Slipknot from a generation one past the old school. After that, like it or not, it's your Avenged Sevenfolds and Triviums who are becoming big pulls as far as I can see... all bands who chart, all bands who fall under "metal", and bands who, perhaps surprisingly, do have a wide fan base...just not in the deep underground.

Slipknot are a massive draw. No doubt at all. Trivium not as much. There was a time when it seemed they were going to break into higher echelons but it no longer seems to be the case. They churn out records but they don't seem to get any bigger.
Anyway back to Primordial. In light if this thread I'm going to give the older albums more time.
On his podcast AA speaks about the recording process of Imrama. It's worth a listen.

Yes, back to Primordial. I listened to Imrama and Journey's End yesterday and enjoyed the hell out of them. Imrama I knew I would, but I couldn't tell you last time I listened to Journey's End, more than a decade probably. Every album, up to and including TTND is really unique, with only a kind of family resemblance between them. Post TTND (I think someone said already), it just seems different configurations of that blueprint, and where they do differ I find myself reminded of Dread Sovereign style simplicity (but that might just be my brain making a lazy association).

#56 May 27, 2020, 10:49:30 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:42:23 PM by mugz

Quote from: Circlepit on May 25, 2020, 09:21:35 PM
Slipknot are a massive draw. No doubt at all. Trivium not as much. There was a time when it seemed they were going to break into higher echelons but it no longer seems to be the case. They churn out records but they don't seem to get any bigger.
Anyway back to Primordial. In light if this thread I'm going to give the older albums more time.
On his podcast AA speaks about the recording process of Imrama. It's worth a listen.

Whats the name of the podcast?

Also I'd agree with those saying it'll be fucking avenge sevenfold and maybe slipknot who'll take over the large gigs. No issue with slip to be fair, they have paid their dues. Sevenfold are just bad.
Play the Academy July 13th

#58 May 28, 2020, 06:38:47 PM Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:42:39 PM by Circlepit
Quote from: StrangersWithGuns on May 28, 2020, 04:01:59 PM
Quote from: Circlepit on May 25, 2020, 09:21:35 PM
Slipknot are a massive draw. No doubt at all. Trivium not as much. There was a time when it seemed they were going to break into higher echelons but it no longer seems to be the case. They churn out records but they don’t seem to get any bigger.
Anyway back to Primordial. In light if this thread I’m going to give the older albums more time.
On his podcast AA speaks about the recording process of Imrama. It’s worth a listen.

Whats the name of the podcast?

Also I'd agree with those saying it'll be fucking avenge sevenfold and maybe slipknot who'll take over the large gigs. No issue with slip to be fair, they have paid their dues. Sevenfold are just bad.

It’s called Agitators Anonymous. He has about 6 up now. Some are better than others as he waffles a bit. They are still entertaining though. He has one about STEA that’s just gone up..
Sevenfold can work a big crowd and keep them engaged. Love them or hate them is besides the point. I love how insanely jealous Robb  Flynn is of their headline status.

After the documentary, the gig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNE8BHkt-Bc

Excellent performance. There's been so much intervening madness, I can't recall off-hand whether I was there for both the 2008 and 2009 TBMC gigs or just the former.