I'd imagine he did, there'd probably be a decent payout waiting for him if it was uncleared.

Love the production on Filosofem though, a perfect example that lofi production doesn't just mean shit.

Quote from: Blackout on May 13, 2020, 09:16:01 PMIve heard bands try and cover burzum. None have been able to capture that sound without sounding karaokeish.

Reverend Bizarre's Dunkelheit cover is brilliant, but they did it in their own style TBF. I can't imagine another band nailing his style.

I have the Filosofem A5 hardback digibook since around 2000/2001. Beside the lyrics on each individual page there is a separate, longer text in  Norwegian and German. I've never seen a translation for any of it and had often wondered what it said. Any Google search has proved fruitless. Anyone here got any links to a translation of the booklet text?

Quote from: ldj on May 12, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
Bizarrely, I just read on the albums wikipedia page the instrumental was sampled in a song by Gucci Mane and Kanye West  :laugh:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ocXKh_uz9A

There is a picture I saw posted a long time ago on another forum of Kanye West wearing a KPN shirt.

as much as I respect the kurt cobain does black metal crusty genius of burzum, to me it's the few albums he churned out in his late 30s that are truly exceptional

Quote from: mugz on May 22, 2020, 09:25:07 PM
as much as I respect the kurt cobain does black metal crusty genius of burzum, to me it's the few albums he churned out in his late 30s that are truly exceptional

There is a train of thought that Umskiptar is his best work...

any of those 3 from the end of his burzum career are really great though for me fallen is the best by a notch or two

in a way it's surprising there's not more written about the simultaneous east meets west emergence of grunge and black metal. black metal was the european grunge; the americans mixed folk and blues and country with a delayed discovery of punk, the europeans mixed classical music with thrash metal.... yet there's no sense where people have done a compare/contrast, to my knowledge.

Beyond the very surface similarities you are hinting at,  that is distorted guitar,  lofi production and a sometimes simplistic approach to song construction (which hardly holds up of you consider the likes of Mayhem, Emperor, Enslaved or Satyricon for example who were more complex by nature) it would be a very thin thesis. Grunge was essentially noisy garage rock/punk. BM came from,  as you said,  thrash and early death metal, but also took influences from European folk and even electronic music. You could argue a loose similarity in terms of a tendency to nihilism but even then that seemed to have completely different motivations between scenes, where Nirvana was self destructive thematically but Burzum (to use your two examples) had a melancholy for an imagined romantic era.  Whatever nihilism that was there was aimed at modern society,  but even then,  beyond the man himself,  the music was never really thematically nihilistic.

that's already more than has been said on the topic up to now. Personally, the musical similarities are there but not massively interrelated; the times, the places, the generations involved, and the social and political backgrounds are much more worth a deep dive. I mean it's only a few years ago that people commonly started viewing post punk and goth and new wave as being much more closely entwined with metal than was ever admitted in the 80s 90s or 00s.

Is your point then that they were somehow intertwined? That they were influencing each other?? Because that's even madder than trying to align them as being similar,  contemporaneous youth cultures  :laugh:

look it genuinely occurred to me an hour ago that there's something in the idea of looking at how both scenes sprung up, I'm not saying there's a one to one correspondence to any of the music, but I am saying there's definitely some overlap musically, and I'm definitely saying the situational stuff kind of mirrors a lot.

you're essentially dealing with two tail end of the 20th century subcultures that haven't been looked at in the same milieu before to my knowledge, despite the fact to anyone older or younger than us the vast differences you're giving my a hard time over simply wouldn't exist.

social history perspective first and then musical analysis second. in that order I think there's a good article or two to be written.

You could pluck any two cultural phenomena out of the air, whether their timelines corresponded or not, and find vague similarities that tie them together. It just seems like a novel angle as opposed to any sort of true analysis of the situation.  But what do I know. Maybe the rise of Nirvana and Burzum was cosmically aligned. Maybe My Dying Bride and Scooter were twins who were separated at birth and their story needs to be told. Maybe it's all just a fart in a sleeping bag.

Got me thinking of My Dying Bride vs Scooter à la Thorns vs Emperor