Any fans on here?
They are by far my favourite non metal band even though a lot of their early stuff borders on metal.
They change their sound on most albums which is good and a re definitely more progressive than a band like dream theater.
Matt Bellamy is one serious vocalist as well.
Saw them live once as well and it's up there with one of the top gigs I've been too.
Hope they get a new album out soon and play here again. The vocals on this are insane.

https://youtu.be/NtAB-t3Hw1o

I really liked Showbiz and saw em in the Olympia on that tour. He's a great vocalist but he kinda grates on me at the same time. They went a bit too wanky for me, I liked their simpler stuff but I couldn't dispute he's a bit of a genius songwriter.

Love Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes. Fell out with their sounds on The Resistance.

Are the later albums worth a listen.

I liked the first two albums and was interested less and less with each subsequent release. I saw them when they played Dublin Castle, before or shortly after the second album cane out, and it was alright, though Bellamy hiding under his piano for 5 minutes, as the bass player and his roadie tried to diagnose an amp problem, remains one of the more surreal gig experiences I have had.

Ya I can understand people not liking their stuff after black holes and revelations. I wasn't a big fan of them for a while and the 2nd law has a lot of shit on it but the I'm really liking the 2 new ones, drones and simulation theory. They are definitely not as heavy as the first few and are essentially pop albums but the songs are just really good and I'm actually glad they changed their sound now.
Origin of symettery is my favourite though.
Such a crazy mix of styles on it.
I remember hearing it for the first time and being pretty blown away. Great classical influence on it as well.

Time is Running Out was a staple of the old alternative nightclub I used to go to, it will forever mean nights out when I was 21. A lot of happy memories tied to that song.

I didn't really get into them until 2008 when I was working in GameStop. One of the few perks of working there meant that you could put on your own music (within reason, of course) so I heard a lot of their tunes and got into them that way. Plus, everyone working there agreed on them.

I'm a fan alright, everything up to the last couple has been fantastic (though Showbiz sounds quite dated now, as I'm sure their more recent dubstep parts will be). Seriously Tempted by that recent early days boxset. Never seen them live, but a bunch of us actually cheered when we watched the timing of this fancy footwork on BBC's Glastonbury coverage:

https://youtu.be/Oy_OogfGN6g

Quote from: Carnage on March 22, 2020, 06:42:58 PM
I'm a fan alright, everything up to the last couple has been fantastic (though Showbiz sounds quite dated now, as I'm sure their more recent dubstep parts will be). Seriously Tempted by that recent early days boxset. Never seen them live, but a bunch of us actually cheered when we watched the timing of this fancy footwork on BBC's Glastonbury coverage:

https://youtu.be/Oy_OogfGN6g

Very smooth 😄

Just watching the Simulation Theory live film, BBC2 showed it the other night. Great stuff, the newer material works a lot better live to my ears. Could do without the film/story elements but the tunes are mighty.

The Drones tour one was on Sky Arts during the week, same thing - the newer stuff comes into its own live.

The last few albums are awful. First few were class.

He is a fantastic musician.  Some of the riffs on Black Holes are massive particularly the last one in knights of cydonia.
There is a gig from rome on sky arts every so often. What I love about it how locked on the bass player and drummer are.

Never really got into them tbh but this is surely one of the best live performances ever? Epic enough like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WP7aOD_9Q

Ya their live performances are on another level altogether. Best gig I was ever at was seeing them touring black holes in Marlay Park.
Can't wait to see them again.
Mad to think they played leisureland in Galway on the showbiz tour.

A mate of mine gave them their first Irish gigs, said they were dead on and down to earth, despite their rockstar personas. That was a long time ago now, though. Bucket list band for me anyway.

I still get the impression they are fairly down to earth from what you read and hear about them.
I'd love to have seen Matt Bellamy do vocals for a power metal band or something along those lines