Nothing wrong with those I'd have said, though the drums on Leprosy sound very artificial, the snare anyway. Couldn't imagine it sounding any better, personally.

Quote from: Pagan Waltar on February 21, 2020, 09:16:01 AM
BEHEXEN "From the Devil's  Chalice"
While not that poorly produced, the sound on this is overly bouncy to the point of questioning whether something is up with my headphones. Doesn't detract however as it is just a brilliant example of the style.

They fucked up the production on this by accident I can't remember the exact story but I think the mastering or something was done wrong and by the time the mistake was discovered it was too late to go back and redo everything.

It's probably my favourite Behexen release after Nightside and usually the first thing I go to when I decide to listen to the band.

Quote from: Motörbastard on February 21, 2020, 12:46:29 PM
Blasphemy: Fallen Angel Of Doom....

The production for me is what ruins this album anytime I want to listen to the band I either go for one of the recent live albums or the rehearsal that came with the Friday the 13th die hard LP.

The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure

Alex himself admitted he didn't have a clue what he was doing when recording/mixing this album, but it is perfectly suited. The combo of roomy, really distant drums with guitars mudded out t'fuck give such a sense of scale. It puts you right at the edge of the vast murky landscape depicted on the cover.

I listened to Leprosy this morning for the first time in ages and that snare is horrific.

Darkthrone ' "goatlord" is an odd one- one of my favourite records ever, bit is a rehearsal recording on a four track. I cant imagine those songs recorded in a proper studio though,the recording is a big factor in why its such a creepy sounding record to me

This morning, I've been listening to a few of Rick Rubin's productions from the late 80's. He had a quare oul drum sound he frequently used, very dull thuds unlike the actual sound of a kit and often obvious overdubs panned unusually but really up front in the mix. It's probably something he brought over from hip-hop. The likes of The Cult - Electric, Danzig - s/t, Masters of Reality - s/t, Wolfsbane Live Fast, Die Fast... I can't imagine them any other way but they sound... unusual, let's say.

Actually, add South of Heaven to that. It's got almost as little bass as AJFA but gets none of the jip. It's all huge bass drums and thin, mid-heavy guitars. Jump from a track from Reign in Blood to something on SOH and you'll see what I mean. It still sounds fantastic, provided you don't leap into it from something with some low end.

Shonky as Rubin could be, RIB and Trouble - s/t are two of his and two of my favourite sounding albums ever.

Yep South of Heaven struck me as just oddd the first time I ever listened to it back as a pimply, self-fiddling teenager. Interesting that you would say Danzig because, yes, they have a lot in common in terms of the production, how clear and yet almost dead sounding the guitars and drums are. Probably not describing it too well here, but yes there's a lot in common there with AJFA now that you mention it. Just looking at the list of albums Rubin has produced...wow. Californication by RHCP has that kinda deadened, but clear tone aswell. Just class.

On a separate note 'South of Heaven' must be the greatest album title ever..East of Eden, West of Memphis, South of Heaven. Might create a separate thread on that one  :laugh:

I think South Of Heaven's the best they've ever sounded, personally (both the songs and the production). RIB's sound isn't far behind but SOH pips it for me, any day of the week.

madder mortems first album mercury has a fairly light production and they said they really wanted it to sound way more aggressive but i love the way it gives it a dreamy kind of feel to the songs.
they re-recorded a couple of those tracks only last year and while they sound really good and beefed up i still prefer the originals.

South of Heaven has the best drum sound you'll ever hear, amazing!

It's something very special indeed. The high hats, everything, are just crystal clear in your ears. Silent Scream is a great example of what you're talking about, you almost feel like you're in the room with Lombardo. My first Slayer album and will always be my favourite.

Aye, it sounds amazing because the other instruments have been cleared out of the way to make room for them, particularly the bass guitar. The same thing was done on AJFA to make the bass drums stand out more but Metallica had massively mid-scooped guitars which had a healthy amount of low end, whereas Slayer went the other way and made the guitars all mid, so the bass drums stood out even more. All the low frequencies on SOH are coming from the bass drums, quite similar to some of the early hip-hop stuff he produced.

Quote from: Juggz on February 21, 2020, 10:05:30 PM
How about Leprosy and Spiritual Healing? Objectively, they sound fucking terrible, but they're perfect. They could not sound any other way.

I'll grant that Leprosy is fairly mushy but Spiritual Healing has always sounded great to my ears! KRUNCH!

I think each instrument sounds quite crap, individually, and it sounds quite sterile overall but it's a classic album and you can't imagine it being any different. Imagine that sound on any other album  :)

I can imagine Leprosy sounding like it, and being better for it!