Quote from: Trev on January 05, 2021, 02:56:58 PMI've kinda lost track of where this discussion is now...

It's not a discussion, it's an exercise in point-scoring.

Quote from: Carnage on January 05, 2021, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: Trev on January 05, 2021, 02:56:58 PMI've kinda lost track of where this discussion is now...

Ah, I see the 'not a discussion/exercise in point-scoring' bollocks has already been trotted out!  ;)

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 05, 2021, 03:03:36 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 05, 2021, 02:59:46 PM
to assume it came from whites against blacks, without it being explicitly stated, seems to be the bias Predrito mentioned earlier.

Sure, it's not impossible, but it does seem less likely that the African teenagers hanging out with the white Irish people started shouting racist slurs at two other white Irish people than the other way around, no?

There's a few links just above, Kimble. Or do you mean specifically something stating that they were friends? They played football together, just google the two names and you'll find a few results.

Read your first line there again and tell me that doesn't sound like jumping to conclusions.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 05, 2021, 03:43:53 PM
Quote from: Carnage on January 05, 2021, 03:31:19 PM

Ah, I see the 'not a discussion/exercise in point-scoring' bollocks has already been trotted out!  ;)

Q.E.D.

Quote from: Pedrito on January 05, 2021, 04:18:20 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 05, 2021, 03:03:36 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 05, 2021, 02:59:46 PM
to assume it came from whites against blacks, without it being explicitly stated, seems to be the bias Predrito mentioned earlier.

Sure, it's not impossible, but it does seem less likely that the African teenagers hanging out with the white Irish people started shouting racist slurs at two other white Irish people than the other way around, no?

There's a few links just above, Kimble. Or do you mean specifically something stating that they were friends? They played football together, just google the two names and you'll find a few results.

Read your first line there again and tell me that doesn't sound like jumping to conclusions.

Guilty. I did presume that 10 years ago any Irish journalist writing "racial undertones" in regards to an encounter between white Irish and foreign black individuals would expect their Irish readership to understand that as being racism from the natives towards the foreigners. It could have turned out I was wrong, but the chances were fairly slim, but, yeah, I did jump to that conclusion.

The Indo taking the power of symbols to the other far extreme now by capping this story with a photo of Nkencho as a small child in front of a birthday cake:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/george-nkencho-family-gardai-opened-fire-even-though-they-knew-people-were-inside-the-house-39936928.html

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 06, 2021, 09:20:10 AM
The Indo taking the power of symbols to the other far extreme now by capping this story with a photo of Nkencho as a small child in front of a birthday cake:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/george-nkencho-family-gardai-opened-fire-even-though-they-knew-people-were-inside-the-house-39936928.html
They grow up (and die) so fast. RIP George.... XXxX

#1658 January 09, 2021, 05:17:30 PM Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:19:19 PM by Eoin McLove
Good read. Again it seems to come back to the class issue and a case of people being thrown into ghettos. The racism that apparently occurs at football games seems incredibly counter intuitive considering how many celebrated black footballers there are. I don't think football is racist in general but what is the reason for that kind of attitude to prevail in that environment, where you would expect a more open minded attitude to dominate?

They call the Old Firm fans '90 minute bigots', in the sense that during a match against their (in this case religious/ethnic) rivals, they tend to shout, sing or say things that they wouldn't ordinarily. I imagine the same would apply for other kinds of naughty outbursts.

Yeah I think I'm better off ignoring the news

Quote from: Necro Lord on January 11, 2021, 11:12:11 PM
Yeah I think I'm better off ignoring the news
You only realising that now.???  :laugh: