The same principal as wearing red or white or any colour apart from black  boots when I played soccer or hurling was grounds for an ankle cruncher or snakey pull.

Only fags wear black boots now it seems. Or homophobes, I dunno, it's all very confusing.

Jon Bon Jovi is the latest one to cop out and make a balls of Fairytale Of New York:

QuoteThe original verse, written by Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl reads:

"You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old sl*t on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last."
Advertisement
But Bon Jovi has changed it to:

"You're a bum, you're a braggart
You've lost all your swagger
And the word around town is you ain't much in bed
You're a squirrel cause you're nuts
You're a kick in the gut
Happy Christmas, my arse
I'll be glad it's our last."

I thought the Ronan Keating version was bad.

Oh dear. Someone give Jon back his dentures...

Jesus wept. Bon Jovi covering it word-for-word would have been bad enough.

In a similar vein - this retrospectively reviewing films etc. with modern day lenses. Some woke fucker of a critic online reviewed the BluRay release of "Freebie & The Bean" and stated that if it wasn't for all the racial epithets in the film that it might be good and, as such, it should not have been re-released for modern-day consumption without dialogue edits. It was made in 1974 for fuck sake (not to mention that it's an excellent movie).

What pisses me off most (and this may already be covered in the thread) is the selective nature of this cancel culture. If you're going to call out one thing then you have to call out everything. You can't sit there smugly taking pot shots at Ryan Adams or whoever finds themselves currently in the height of shit (Chris D'Elia maybe?) for their past indiscretions and yet in the same breath call Jimmy Page "a hero" - which a friend of mine did recently.

Bowie is another one. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the Thin White Duke but a cursory scanning of his (and Page's) late 1960s/early to mid 1970s life will leave you with some difficult questions to ask yourself.

Or you know, just gloss over that bit and wear your Aladdin Sane shirt to the next protest march.

Don't worry, the hardcore woke have long since thrown Page, Bowie, and anyone else you used to think protected up on the same pyre with the likes of our good friend Sutcliffe.

Hardcore woke  :laugh:
You mean half the picks on the internet...  :laugh:

The empty vessel woke crowd haven't called out Bowie etc, if they had, we'd ALL have heard it. Jaysus, there'd be no avoiding it sher.

Quote from: Emphyrio on December 09, 2020, 03:01:19 PM
The empty vessel woke crowd haven't called out Bowie etc, if they had, we'd ALL have heard it. Jaysus, there'd be no avoiding it sher.

Actually Bowie has been called out a bit about relationships with minors in the 70's. Just saying.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on December 09, 2020, 12:25:01 PM
The same principal as wearing red or white or any colour apart from black  boots when I played soccer or hurling was grounds for an ankle cruncher or snakey pull.

Only fags wear black boots now it seems. Or homophobes, I dunno, it's all very confusing.

I was the first on my team to play in white boots. The white Adidas predators. And as you said every spud picking cunt in mayo tried to give me a snakey hit. I loved it though. Made me play better knowing some prick was out to get me.

#1254 December 09, 2020, 03:57:02 PM Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 04:00:04 PM by Emphyrio
Quote from: Ollkiller on December 09, 2020, 03:27:00 PM
Quote from: Emphyrio on December 09, 2020, 03:01:19 PM

Actually Bowie has been called out a bit about relationships with minors in the 70's. Just saying.

Not by the baying hordes, though. Nor would they anyway, as he veered pretty closely sexually to the LGB crowd.

You'll be cancelled for leaving the T out of that acronym Eoin lad, even though it doesn't belong there.

I don't even entertain that nonsense as they keep adding letters.

Quote from: Ollkiller on December 09, 2020, 03:28:49 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on December 09, 2020, 12:25:01 PM

I was the first on my team to play in white boots. The white Adidas predators. And as you said every spud picking cunt in mayo tried to give me a snakey hit. I loved it though. Made me play better knowing some prick was out to get me.

Soccer might have been slightly more forgiving but any kind of pony tails or coloured boots on a GAA pitch in the 90's was basically hanging a sign on yourself saying 'I'm a homosexual, please assault me'.

My GAA club used to have a sign stating 'no coloured boots, no frosted hair'. Amazing.

Pink and blue boots used to bug the shit out of me just watching on the telly,I've come to the conclusion that life's too short!

Quote from: Emphyrio on December 09, 2020, 04:24:51 PM
I don't even entertain that nonsense as they keep adding letters.
I've also seen them adding numbers too.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on December 09, 2020, 04:27:28 PM
Soccer might have been slightly more forgiving but any kind of pony tails or coloured boots on a GAA pitch in the 90's was basically hanging a sign on yourself saying 'I'm a homosexual, please assault me'.

My GAA club used to have a sign stating 'no coloured boots, no frosted hair'. Amazing.

Pink and blue boots used to bug the shit out of me just watching on the telly,I've come to the conclusion that life's too short!

I had long-ish hair when I played schools and club hurling back in the 1990s. Combined with my nascent beard and a paunch that has been hanging off me since I was about 11, it looked like "LA Woman" era Jim Morrison badly reincarnated to take 45s on a pissing rain Wednesday afternoon down in some provincial school pitch.

I never got any hassle for it, but this was back before helmets were compulsory so any lad in a Cooper or Mycro helmet would have to think twice about calling someone with long hair a queer. They'd end up with a permanent centre parting - helmet or no fuckin' helmet.

The only bit of slagging I ever did get was from one of the lads who coached the club I played for. He used to make the same joke every week; "The camogie team trains in the hall, love". Every week, sometimes twice a week.

His wife was having an affair with an 18 year old glass collector who worked in the club bar and he himself got caught trying to rob the bingo money so I didn't really get too upset about it.