#465 June 26, 2020, 10:27:19 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:25:11 PM by mugz

Quote from: mugz on June 26, 2020, 10:27:19 PM
well, what if everything is, by design, slightly interesting but ultimately pointless?

I think it is all ultimately pointless, but not by design. It can be all pointful as well if I choose to experience it thus. We are back to the meaning of life thread here again though

#468 June 26, 2020, 10:36:10 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:25:24 PM by mugz

#469 June 26, 2020, 10:37:33 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:25:33 PM by mugz

Quote from: mugz on June 26, 2020, 10:36:10 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on June 26, 2020, 10:33:20 PM
Quote from: mugz on June 26, 2020, 10:27:19 PM
well, what if everything is, by design, slightly interesting but ultimately pointless?

I think it is all ultimately pointless, but not by design. It can be all pointful as well if I choose to experience it thus. We are back to the meaning of life thread here again though

I'm making the point that the by design aspect is the interesting part, as it takes you away from the meaning of life thing (try not to kill/rape anyone/thing), and back to more mundane questions about academia,books,culture,information etc, but actually not mundane at all.

It would be more fun to look on it all from a "by design" aspect, but humans are not that clever and there are too many factors at play for any one entity or organisation to be taking stock of it all and pushing any agenda in particular. I think we are in a state of pure unadulterated chaos and not even those pushing it have a handle on any of it

#471 June 26, 2020, 11:34:59 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:25:55 PM by mugz

It's funny how that works out; that I'm also fully comfortable with being entirely wrong, and going on instinct for the most part and I arrive at the conclusion of chaos while you arrive at the idea of some sort of intelligent design. I honestly don't think that humans are that smart.

#473 June 26, 2020, 11:58:18 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:26:06 PM by mugz

I'm calling myself out here and honestly admitting that I don't know what nihilism actually entails

#475 June 27, 2020, 12:42:31 AM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:26:17 PM by mugz

Not actually a huge fan of Pie myself, but I saw this attack on cancel culture and said to myself, "I know just the bunch of lads who'd love this!":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TVLEaqqdI

"A Letter on Justice and Open Debate"
Co-signed by a lot of people who are not known for agreeing with each other.

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

Personally, I still think Rowling's recent furore-triggering tweet was a gratuitous, counter-productive, and therefore moronic move on her part. Her own subsequent letter came across mainly as saving face; always make sure to save some traumatic event in the bank to be deployed when you fuck up, folks, no matter how tangential it is to the subject at hand! Similarly, her mentioning Trump, and his mention again in this collective letter, is also a gratuitous and, I believe, ultimately counter-productive move, but hey, thought I'd share it anyway, just as a document of stuff that's happening at the moment.

"The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted." 100% accurate.

So, because she opened her mouth instead of keeping her opinion to herself she got a battering. In my opinion she did no wrong but that'd be treading old ground.

Excellent article btw.

Your BFF Chomsky even signed the letter.