Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 12, 2020, 04:12:39 PM
As I said elsewhere, if you don't like what your streaming subscription company are doing (and many even liberal critics have had a go at Netflix over this tokenism, which is what it is, as I said earlier; corporate tokenism), then cancel your subscription and let them know why.

I'm not going to do that. Why? I'm not that bothered. Bothered enough to take a few minutes out of my day to write a post about it on this forum but it's not a personal crusade. Are you actually  like this in your day to day interactions with real people? Like if your missus came home from Lidl and told you about some bad experience she had with  another customer in the car park, do you start quoting Hegel at her?

Anyone ever seen the spike Milligan sit com Curry and Chips? You'll never see that on telly. Spike blacks up and plays this indian who is half Irish. The theme tune is Danny boy but in an Indian style
"Ooooh Danny boy...the popadooms are calling"

The first joke is about a guy talking about day time saving and if they sent them back to Africa they'd get an extra hour of light. There's another guy who was called a racist because he "called a wog a coon."

Ah John:) Class.

I took a picture of my young lad after getting his hair cut today, he looks like a little hitlerjugend recruit. My first instinct was to try to use it to somehow trigger Juggz (great poster, nothing personal) and Chris (who is normal in the flesh).

Perhaps I'm the sad bastard.

If you have people exaggerating the source story, you can't have a discussion, so it's good to make sure everyone has the basics straight, that's all.

On demand content provision is headed more and more where TV has already been; getting as many people as possible watching stuff for as many hours as possible. Amplifying the cultural significance of TV and acting like it's more important than its corporate significance, well, I mean, we've all seen TV right? You think it has our cultural well-being in mind? It's product, pure and simple.

A concert venue gives about as much of a shit about one band that may lose it customers as a streaming service does about a show or two it can jettison for profit. Where there is a cultural investment in the artistic merit of the content, that would be a different matter; a gallery or a museum, for example. And, honestly, if I could see the band live next door only five minutes later, no, I wouldn't care too much, but I may decide to try to avoid the cancelling concert.

If you're not that bothered, then why get this bothered? Netflix and chill man! I'm just saying that from my point of view, censorship is not where the world is changing in the most significant way to be concerned about. Okay? You don't have to agree, but there it is. If my missus came home and told me about a bad experience she had at McDonald's, I'd ask her what the hell she'd been doing at McDonald's, no need for Hegel.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 12, 2020, 04:55:14 PM
If my missus came home and told me about a bad experience she had at McDonald's, I'd ask her what the hell she'd been doing at McDonald's, no need for Hegel.

Agreed, burger king have those addictive chilli cheese bites.

Tell you wor, though, next thing you know we won't be able to watch Del fall through the bar in case it upsets someone!

Quote from: John Kimble on June 12, 2020, 04:40:48 PM
Like if your missus came home from Lidl and told you about some bad experience she had with  another customer in the car park, do you start quoting Hegel at her?
[/quote]

Whenever my wife tells me stories like that, I start quoting things from the bible and it drives her up the fucking wall

#277 June 12, 2020, 05:05:35 PM Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:07:50 PM by Caomhaoin
I just got kicked out of my house by the housekeeper, she can't work with the young lad. She's from Ecuador and it's my house (well, when I pay off the mortgage) and she used her Hispanic housekeeper privilege to send us to the boozer.

She just said 'please leave' and I just did it. Take a knee for large caomhín!

Quote from: The Butcher on June 12, 2020, 04:58:37 PM
If my missus came home and told me about a bad experience she had at McDonald's, I'd ask her what the hell she'd been doing at McDonald's, no need for Hegel.

Actually, a better example would be if she came home and started complaining to me that McDonald's had stopped doing the McRib in order to go completely halal.

Agreed in return though, in the distant past when I went to such places, Burger King definitely did a better job of making their food seem good.

You do yourself no favours lad. Like black criminals.

And I like you.

Why would I be seeking favour here? The general discussion forum here keeps us coming back because people don't do themselves any favours, but at the same time no one is quite far enough out one way or the other for things to descend into pure hysterics, only just enough to get a few sparks going  :abbath:

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 12, 2020, 05:05:35 PM
I just got kicked out of my house by the housekeeper, she can't work with the young lad. She's from Ecuador and it's my house (well, when I pay off the mortgage) and she used her Hispanic housekeeper privilege to send us to the boozer.

She just said 'please leave' and I just did it. Take a knee for large caomhín!

there's sitcom levels of dynamics going on here!

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 12, 2020, 05:21:22 PM
Quote from: The Butcher on June 12, 2020, 04:58:37 PM

Actually, a better example would be if she came home and started complaining to me that McDonald's had stopped doing the McRib in order to go completely halal.

Agreed in return though, in the distant past when I went to such places, Burger King definitely did a better job of making their food seem good.

BK in Ireland is apparently better than a lot of other countries due to them using only Irish beef.

Of all the places I've had a quick and nasty burger (and there's been many), BK is pretty decent.

I am of the honest opinion that the XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger from BK is the actual King of Burgers. Ate three of them once and I was shitting grease after it. Worth it though for the taste.