Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 13, 2020, 03:31:11 PM
I fail to understand why theses companies take it upon themselves to be offended on behalf of other people.

There's a decent enough chance they'll gain customers out of it, and a very low chance they'll lose any. And all they have to do is not advertise via one venue for a couple of months. Win-win-win!

It didn't get mentioned here, but Netflix recently defended keeping that Polish 50 Shades of Grey type movie '365 Days' in stock, against what sounded like (haven't seen it myself) well-founded claims of the film glamorizing non-consensual sex. Why would they defend glamorizing rape from some crappy Polish movie but jettison The Mighty Boosh? Simply because viewers = $$$. 365 Days was and still is clocking up hundreds of thousands of views world-wide... I'm guessing The Mighty Boosh had been watched by approximately no one in the lead-up to the decision to toss it. Morality and offense ain't got nothing to do with it for these guys.

These naive college student protesters seem to be unaware they are doing the bidding of big business whilst waving hammers and sickles and yokes around.

Asgtyfl, any yokes? I'm on holidays now, might as well...

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 13, 2020, 03:58:53 PM
These naive college student protesters seem to be unaware they are doing the bidding of big business

Big business will capitalize anything it can. It's not their bidding that people protest, but as the satirical saying goes, capitalism "would sell the rope with which it is to be hanged."

I mean the principal beneficiaries of the screeching has been big corporations, I don't mean they are doing it consciously.

I've been considering what you were getting at about the Netflix 'purge' recently and you've definitely got a point, with the example you've made with 365. Cash is king.

#516 July 13, 2020, 05:34:11 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:22:52 PM by mugz

In terms of how big business functions to turn things to their advantage, it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference whether the protesters are 100% genuine, 100% naïve, or 100% "compromised".

No, the bottom line is the same, but if they could see the paradox of a Marxist cult lining the pockets of umbrellacorp, perhaps they might pause for reflection.

I fail to understand why theses companies take it upon themselves to be offended on behalf of other people.

As said already it's all about the money these companies care no more about Indians than the banks and other businesses care about gay people when they fly flags during pride month it's just publicity stunts to get more customers under the guise of pretending to care.

Sponsors to the CFL have threatened to pull funding if the Edmonton Eskimos don't change their name soon. I doubt the majority of Eskimos even realize that the team exists and if they did they wouldn't give a fuck.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on July 13, 2020, 06:08:15 PM
No, the bottom line is the same, but if they could see the paradox of a Marxist cult lining the pockets of umbrellacorp, perhaps they might pause for reflection.

Quotecapitalism "would sell the rope with which it is to be hanged."

This is that paradox. The claim behind this satire is that there is nothing you can do while living in a capitalist society, up to and including directly attempting to destroy capitalism, which it won't find a way to capitalize on. They don't need to pause for reflection because it has already been theorized; this observation is part of the theory of any "Marxist cult".

#521 July 13, 2020, 06:25:07 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:23:16 PM by mugz

Washington Redskins are to change their name and logo, as it's deemed offensive to Native Americans. This, in spite of 90% of that group not being offended by the name or the word. BBC of course try to spin it as being a progressive move, on closer inspection it's clearly because Nike, Amazon and others withdrawing distribution and sponsorship. I fail to understand why theses companies take it upon themselves to be offended on behalf of other people.

Incidentally, Native Americans have more reason than most to feel aggrieved about what happened to their ancestors, but if they largely don't give a shit about the team name, I wish these woke companies would just fuck off with the morality arbitration.

I'm actually surprised Snyder is going ahead with this, because he is the sort of person who has consitently given zero fucks about what people are sensitive about. The man even boasted about profiting off cancer patients.

I would not be surprised if he changes the team's name to the Landover Redskins, just as one big Fuck You.
Or the Washington Snyder is the Bests.

As said already it's all about the money these companies care no more about Indians than the banks and other businesses care about gay people when they fly flags during pride month it's just publicity stunts to get more customers under the guise of pretending to care.

Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1LLawRT5Ec

#524 July 13, 2020, 09:32:59 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:23:36 PM by mugz