Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 01, 2021, 10:51:52 AM
At one point he was being paid $400,000 an episode - after the series had gone to the shit - and then threatened to quit when they had to take a pay cut to a mere $300k per episode. Imagine that... THREE HUNDRED GRAND times 20 plus residuals etc. per year to do lest than an hour's work a week. A lot of the Simpson's voice talent have sound booths in their own houses at this stage so they are literally phoning it in.

This always amazes me regarding the pay celebrities get. Granted that amount per episode is before tax but let's say they lose 50 % to taxes and agent fees, that's still a shit load of money PER EPISODE!! If you're earning that amount per episode would a drop in a hundred thousand really change your life?

Like some hollywood a listers can get 20 million a film. You'd think after a few you'd end up just doing it for free.

Neil diamond blacks up in the remake of the Jazz Singer. It was actually a funny scene if I remember cause the character forgets to paint his arms and gets chased by a few black gentlemen.

I'm watching all the Bond films currently. Never seen them before.

One presumes that these will come with a trigger warning sooner rather than later.

I really don't like this retrospectively whinging about films, etc. It appears as if SJWs don't understand context and time frames.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 01, 2021, 12:14:55 PM
It appears as if SJWs don't understand context and time frames.

You might be surprised how many people consciously or unconsciously take documents like Gone With The Wind to be sufficiently accurate reflections of reality. There are many who still today lean towards the idea that the global reality of slavery was closer to how it is depicted in that film than it was to, well, reality.

I think the trigger warnings are the lesser of two evils, it's better than straight up cancelling. I just hope over the next generation the silent moderate majority can speak up against the cry babies cos it seems the most vocal are on either extreme.

But ya, Bond is defo gonna start coming with warnings you'd imagine.

Agreed, I'll take a 5 second disclaimer, it's no skin off my nose.

The warnings are most likely a prelude to removing things with outdated attitudes. They will work for a while until some emotionally unstable freak complains that whichever show in question traumatised them.

Quote from: Emphyrio on March 01, 2021, 12:35:39 PM
I think the trigger warnings are the lesser of two evils, it's better than straight up cancelling. I just hope over the next generation the silent moderate majority can speak up against the cry babies cos it seems the most vocal are on either extreme.

But ya, Bond is defo gonna start coming with warnings you'd imagine.

Yeah, I'll take the warning once they don't start editing content which I fear may be the next step. Back to the James Ferman video nasty era of the 1980s and 90s.

It has already started though. If you watch "Bottom" on Netflix now there's a decent chunk missing out of a few episodes and horrible re-dubbed bits for words that the BBC are afraid of their life we might hear. They've used a voice-over actor who sounds nothing like Mayall or Edmondson too.

Fuck the editing. Stick the outdated attitudes disclaimer all over anything as long as it's then left to us all to make up our own mind. No worse than the rating on something if left like that. I don't get the issue with something like Bottom anyway because the characters are supposed to be fairly unsavoury and outdated anyway so that's pointless.

#2124 March 01, 2021, 02:41:16 PM Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:44:12 PM by Carnage
Ah yeah, I'd rather the disclaimer than an edit. It's just annoying that something as seemingly innocent as The Goonies needs a snowflake warning.

Edits/cuts can fuck off eternally. Cutting Jenny Agutter's nipples out of An American Werewolf In London, for instance, is a war crime.

I also think cutting (or trying to) Trump out of Home alone 2 is a bit of a stupid thing. Cause where do you stop? How about the whole of Pulp Fiction and other films cause Harvey Winstein made them? They still show Naked Gun with OJ in it.
We don't want films to end up like the Star Wars 'special' edition...

It looks like hardly ever switching on the 49" is a good thing for me...  :laugh:

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on March 01, 2021, 03:34:24 PM
It looks like hardly ever switching on the 49" is a good thing for me...  :laugh:

I'm sure there's one or several videos on these topics on that Memeology YT channel you seem to never miss an upload from  ;)

For all you guys with young kids. We have the new alphabet...  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/arGcCvh7tH8