Saw this pop up when looking at Urban Assault next year. Pethrophile Promotions will be shutting down next year. Quite a big loss since a lot of the Cork gigs seemed to be organised by Pethrophile!

QuoteFull poster for urban assault 2020.

The show will be all ages until 9pm on the Saturday at a reduced rate.

This is going to be a very special show for us as this will be the last ever show for pethrophile Promotions so we want to go out with a bang !

I've been doing pethrophile Promotions for 5 years and it had thought me alot about the music industry and Introduced me to alot of great bands and great people.

At this point in time im finding it a bit overwhelming and it's having a negative impact on my mental well being as well as a multitude of other reasons ,so I've decided to hang up the gloves.

A big thank you to Irish Metal Archive for helping me out with urban assault every year as well as being present in pethrophile for quite a while, and also Julia Pawlak for for letting me know when me ideas are shit and for being my partner in crime for the shows in recent times.

I'm definitely going to miss it as it has taken a huge chunk of my life but I want to focus on friends, family and my own band as I have neglected these things a bit as I have been prioritizing pethrophile.

Tickets will be on sale soon, I hope to see you at the show

Event page: https://facebook.com/events/2391287264273662/?ti=cl

-Danny

It's a tough game,especially in Cork,there seems to be a number of promoters on the go in Cork in recent times.Ive always felt doing 2 day fest in  Cork must be an utter heartache!,we've seen it in the past where fellas just got burnt out from it.
Its a thankless game,best of luck to the bloke.

Yeah! Its definitely a big loss, but not surprising.
It's after getting increasingly difficult for Danny and Julia to justify keeping at it.

I was a member of Pethrophile for a couple of years. We had a good run for a while. We put on some great shows. Took a few chances with new venues. One which paid off being An Spailpín Fánach when we did the first URBAN ASSAULT. Opened the door for a lot of Cork shows in recent years.

Even though I still pitched in for the URBAN ASSAULT Fests, I pretty much backed out 2 years ago.
I had other responsibilities that took over, but the writing was on the wall anyway when other promoters came on the scene around then.
There was just way too much happening at times. To the point where a few weekends had 3 or 4 gigs on. That was the turning point for me.

It's just taken a while longer for Danny to come to that realisation.

#3 November 06, 2019, 02:57:55 PM Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:59:34 PM by Airneanach
It's going to be a huge loss, and a big gap to fill. A lot of those shows were a nice variance to the wash of sludge/doom you'd see, although that variance is now being carried out elsewhere. Urban Assault this year was one of the best Irish shows I've ever been to. Honestly, I was knackered after it for about a week. Next year's line up looks proper tasty, too.

There was a few tough gigs in there, I imagine. I'd never advocate for less gigs in my own backyard, but Cork's a village, like. The ante's seriously been upped this year, and whilst the scene looks more filled out, two name promoters in the area pushing gigs on the same night/multiple gigs a week/a month it's bound to get tough. Not all of them are going to be good turnovers.

Paranoid Beast having a solid identity and a regular spot in Fredz has done wonders for them. Proper little scene, that.

Paranoid Beast's monthly residency in Fredz is definitely a positive in many ways. It's a great opportunity for travelling bands to base a trip on. Long may it last.
And it's really good to see them branching out with genres for it, too.

Fredz was always the reliable gig venue option, but losing that little bit of flexibility and the logistics of using the likes of An Spailpín for regular shows has taken its toll on Pethrophile.

I reckon we'll see more bands doing their own one off gigs down here again. The likes of Horse do it every once in a while and make it a proper event, which works well for them.