Great article here linking classic Cirith Ungol, Obituary, Demolition Hammer, Sepultura, etc., album covers to the fantasy and horror books they were originally used on (Moorcock, Lovecraft...). First part of hopefully a few here, focusing on artist Michael Whelan.

https://dmrbooks.com/test-blog/2019/3/15/metallic-mirrors-part-one-michael-whelan

Ha thats excellent, never knew about the Sepultura artwork. Cheers.

i read a good bit of horror and i see these covers popping up all the time on anthology books especially.
i love going to second-hand bookstores and finding these old books with deadly artwork, sometimes i just buy them for the cover alone.

That's a cool read on the Whelan material.

Probably has been posted before, but this is interesting:

http://dennisdread.blogspot.com/2011/05/occult-roots-of-metal-iconography_896.html

I read something a while back about Bolt Thrower working directly with the creators of Warcraft or Warhammer or whatever for some of their covers. Not sure if Bal-Sagoth ever did something similar, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote from: Hambeast on April 08, 2019, 05:08:20 PM
I read something a while back about Bolt Thrower working directly with the creators of Warcraft or Warhammer or whatever for some of their covers. Not sure if Bal-Sagoth ever did something similar, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Bal Sagoths artwork is great, even loved the re-issue artwork, but the original Battle Magic cover is so over the top you have to love it  ::)

The original Realm of Chaos cover is by Games Workshop, but the artwork was only leased to Earache for a limited time, hence why the album has completely different artwork now.  The artwork is the same as the first Warhammer 40k rulebook but it was called Rogue Trader back then.   John Blanche who is one of the main artists at Games Workshop also did the art for Sabbat's History of a Time to Come... and Sabbat also had a flexi disc given away for free in a Games Workshop magazine with a song called "Blood for the Blood God" on it.  For a brief time, Games Workshop had a record label called Warhammer Records existed and they used artwork from GW products for the album covers.

Quote from: Anvil on April 09, 2019, 02:59:46 PM

The original Realm of Chaos cover is by Games Workshop, but the artwork was only leased to Earache for a limited time, hence why the album has completely different artwork now.  The artwork is the same as the first Warhammer 40k rulebook but it was called Rogue Trader back then.   John Blanche who is one of the main artists at Games Workshop also did the art for Sabbat's History of a Time to Come... and Sabbat also had a flexi disc given away for free in a Games Workshop magazine with a song called "Blood for the Blood God" on it.  For a brief time, Games Workshop had a record label called Warhammer Records existed and they used artwork from GW products for the album covers.

Ah didnt know that, cheers for the additional info  :)