Supping some gentle Saturday night cyans and youtubing as is a gentleman's wont, and from Thergothon through Swallowed,  I have arrived at Electric Wizard's savage 'Funeralopolis'. At their best they were so dark, heavy and catchy.  It's a pity they have become such a dumb ass cliche ball of shite in recent times but it'll be fun to dive into their early albums again for the first time in years over the next few days.

#1 February 10, 2019, 12:13:49 AM Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:48:00 AM by leatherface
Agreed, I haven't liked their last few releases either, seems kind of phoned in. 'Super coven' EP is great early Wizard. Last one I really liked was 'Witchcult Today'. Saw them play in Whelans long time ago, 'twas savage.

"Come my fanatics " is where its at when it comes to Electric Wizard. Always killer live anytime ive seen them and that gig in Whelans was class, think i have the gig poster around somewhere. .

I'm relieved that's its not just me who thinks they're releasing the same album over and over in the last few years. I still buy them anyway but they're not a patch on "We Live".

I grabbed Come My Fanatics to stick in the car and was having a look through the inlay.  At the end of their thanks list they say 'fuck you Esoteric'. Anyone know what that was about?

Apparently Esoteric had a go at all stoner doom bands around the same time, something like saying they're not 'true doom' in an interview somewhere.  So EW had a dig back at them with the Fuck You in the liner notes.  Nothing hectic anyway.

Really love Dopethrone, definitely my favourite by them.  CMF is decent too.  I don't really give a shit about the rest of it, never hooked me the same way either of those did, their later albums are very poor by comparison.