Quote from: Dark Stranger on February 13, 2024, 02:01:59 PMthe hardcore metal nerd collector in me won't let me stop haha.

I think there was a thread on the old forum called "Collectors and their collections", or something like that, might be worth checking on the wayback machine? Was probably yourself that started it and all!

It's actually one of Metallica's biggest collectors in Ireland who's also trying to locate it, I think he actually started that MI thread!

Quote from: Grim Reality on February 13, 2024, 01:58:52 PMI'd have a suspicion they won't hold up too well Matt  :laugh:

It was funny looking through 6 months of mags last night. Nearly the same favourite bands pushed in every issue. Fucking Dani Filth all over the place. They were making a big drive on 'Britrock' at one point. Radiator and nobodies like that. Then US garbage like static x and powerman 5000. Brutal!

:laugh: I remember them running out of steam fairly quickly even back then so I'm not hopeful but nostalgia dictates.

I remember Pissing Razors sounding kind of like a more extreme-ish Fear Factory. I thought they were shite. The late 90s was a bad time for metal in retrospect. Perhaps if I had been buying Terrorizer instead of Metal Hammer I would have had a better time of it but yeah, some really awful music being pushed at that time. It pushed me to be a bit more adventurous in my purchases so no harm in the end.

I knew a chap who was always about 5 albums late to the party and he had the pissing razors album and jaysus twas awful. Thousands of riffs and ne'er a song between em

Had a quick blast there. Even worse than I remembered.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 13, 2024, 11:50:08 PMI remember Pissing Razors sounding kind of like a more extreme-ish Fear Factory. I thought they were shite. The late 90s was a bad time for metal in retrospect. Perhaps if I had been buying Terrorizer instead of Metal Hammer I would have had a better time of it but yeah, some really awful music being pushed at that time. It pushed me to be a bit more adventurous in my purchases so no harm in the end.

I'll never forget outgrowing Kerrang. Terrorizer had better bands, but wasn't as well written and didn't have many decent jokes in it.

Some scutter floating around 1998-2002 in mainstream metal!
I genuinely though Metal was fucked! :laugh:

Also trying to remember how I found out about gigs in those days...

Def word of mouth. In Belfast it would mainly have been in Ticketmaster with posters about the place, a big billboard at the start of Botanic Avenue that had all the big gigs on it, and general posters and flyers about the town too. Actually now that I think about it, I think the posters and flyers about the town was by far the main way you'd find out about gigs back in the day.

It was posters and flyers for me too - I have a folder full of almost every flyer or poster for every gig I've been at, just that bastarding Metallica one is impossible to get!

Quote from: Dark Stranger on February 14, 2024, 10:07:41 PMIt was posters and flyers for me too - I have a folder full of almost every flyer or poster for every gig I've been at, just that bastarding Metallica one is impossible to get!

I used to get a poster from every local show I played back in the day. Must dig those out next time I'm home, would be a great little nostalgia trip to see a cross-section of local metals bands that would have been active in the 2000s.