Not a Cynic die hard but went along as my mate is mad into them. Focus is a decent enough album but not something I would buy. I enjoyed it and it was probably the least packed show I have seen in the Village since the pandemic which I was surprised at when so many were crying for Cynic to play here when the tour was first announced.

A few things on the show. What was the deal with no heads on any of the guitars? Was the Obscura vocalist a last minute thing for the tour? It would have been better if he just came on / off stage for his bits instead of standing there and not doing anything for most of the set. The reading from a lyric sheet / choice of microphone didn't help the stage presence either.

QuoteWas the Obscura vocalist a last minute thing for the tour? It would have been better if he just came on / off stage for his bits instead of standing there and not doing anything for most of the set. The reading from a lyric sheet / choice of microphone didn't help the stage presence either.

WTF

On the attendance I'd say things are settling back to normal. There was stuff here over the past couple of years that sold out that never would've done those numbers pre pandemic

Missed Cryptosis after the long drive up from Tipp and just can't get into Obscura. Seen them quite a few times but just can't get into them.

Odd vibe, last night, I thought for Cynic. They've had Max Phelps doing rough vocals and guitar for years but I think it was Mike Gilbert from Severed Savior on guitar with them. I think the Obscura guy was a late idea as he seemed very underprepared, not just holding lyric sheets but didn't know where to sing certain lines, Uroboric Forms, in particular. It all seemed a bit haphazard and under-rehearsed. First time seeing them without Reinert, too. Lynch is a beast but, for sure, he's but a shadow of the great man. Still enjoyed it but they've been much, much better.

Quote from: mickO))) on March 13, 2024, 07:34:43 PMA few things on the show. What was the deal with no heads on any of the guitars? Was the Obscura vocalist a last minute thing for the tour? It would have been better if he just came on / off stage for his bits instead of standing there and not doing anything for most of the set. The reading from a lyric sheet / choice of microphone didn't help the stage presence either.

Not sure what brand guitars they use, but as far as I'm aware, Cynic have been using headless guitars for a long time.

I think yer man from Obscura did a fine job considering it seemed like a last minute kind of deal. But could they not have gotten a music stand for him or something  :laugh:

Good gig but I found the guitars to be way way too low for both Obscura and Cynic. Pity.

Masvidal played a headless Steinberger during his Human stint. Gobel played a Steinberger too when they did Focus, so it has kind of become their schtick. He had Kruidenier and Phelps playing Steinbergers when Cynic played here before. Masvidal had his own Strandberg model but seems to be playing Kiesel/Carvin now.

Quote from: Giggles on March 14, 2024, 12:33:18 AM
Quote from: mickO))) on March 13, 2024, 07:34:43 PMA few things on the show. What was the deal with no heads on any of the guitars? Was the Obscura vocalist a last minute thing for the tour? It would have been better if he just came on / off stage for his bits instead of standing there and not doing anything for most of the set. The reading from a lyric sheet / choice of microphone didn't help the stage presence either.

Not sure what brand guitars they use, but as far as I'm aware, Cynic have been using headless guitars for a long time.

I think yer man from Obscura did a fine job considering it seemed like a last minute kind of deal. But could they not have gotten a music stand for him or something  :laugh:

Good gig but I found the guitars to be way way too low for both Obscura and Cynic. Pity.

I had never seen a headless guitar before the other night.

Even a mic on a lead and the Obscura vocalist moving around a bit would have been so much better. Saw conflict back at the start of Feb they have a female vocalist who only does some parts in some songs. She stayed out of sight and only came on the stage to sing her parts which looks so much better than the Cynic setup but my guess is they are still going through the trial and error phase.

I burst out laughing during the set because it reminded me of yer man standing in the background of this video. Half the comment section is dedicated to him  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/VFEZOjtrwls?si=4ULJIUFo-8hatmIn

Quote from: Bürggermeister on March 14, 2024, 07:16:20 AMMasvidal played a headless Steinberger during his Human stint. Gobel played a Steinberger too when they did Focus, so it has kind of become their schtick. He had Kruidenier and Phelps playing Steinbergers when Cynic played here before. Masvidal had his own Strandberg model but seems to be playing Kiesel/Carvin now.

Yep, don't think I've ever seen (photos or footage) of Masvidal playing a guitar with a headstock.

Quote from: Giggles on March 15, 2024, 01:26:20 PMI burst out laughing during the set because it reminded me of yer man standing in the background of this video. Half the comment section is dedicated to him  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/VFEZOjtrwls?si=4ULJIUFo-8hatmIn

That dude is mesmerising. Prefer the other video though. Got the impression from Billy on Theo Von that he wasn't a fan of the guy or something. He's dismissive.

Haha, I'd never seen that before! Funny how Billy Strings, over the years that followed that video, seems to have modeled his look on said dude  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lGjS3yGoRU

He played a set with some metalcore band over the weekend and there's a clip of him rocking out to None So Vile so he's a metaller as well. Went to see him Dec '22 in The Academy. Savage gig.