Johann Johannson is worth listening to. I'm quite fond of his album Fordlandia. Check out the song The Rocket Builder. Such moods to it. Brilliant!

Brahms Symphony no 4 in e minor is a banger!

Erik Satie's 'Gnossienne 1-6'. Brilliant piece for solo piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0

#33 April 25, 2023, 01:32:31 AM Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 02:04:10 AM by Carnage
Just posted this in the Now Playing thread but it deserves a mention here:

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 6 in E Minor / Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis / The Lark Ascending (1990 - Tasmin Little / BBC Symphony Orchestra / Andrew Davis conducting)

Fucking love the Thomas Tallis piece, it's a real tearjerker. You'd know it from the Master And Commander film, it pops up a couple of times. This particular performance was recorded on in the same location as its premiere. On the 80th anniversary, I think.

Edit: just stuck on Nicola Benedetti's take on The Lark Ascending, jaysus it's mighty:

https://youtu.be/IM50kxByH94

Quote from: kamen on February 04, 2020, 01:59:08 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 03, 2020, 12:28:42 PM
Quote from: leatherface on February 01, 2020, 12:02:35 AMGorecki: Symphony 3, Op.36

(also known as 'The symphony of sorrowful strings')

And, as a bonus, there's a version with Beth Gibbons from Portishead!
Lisa Gerrard has just released a version too, arranged for her lower vocal register. I had a listen to it there, even streaming on a phone it sounds great. Another very worthwhile interpretation, along with Gibbons' one.

My favourite recording of that incredible symphony is the one on Naxos with Zofia Kilanowicz, though, far better (imo) than the most famous one with Dawn Upshaw.

Just listening to the Gibbons version (again) now, as usual the piece is devastating. I must listen to that version you've mentioned as the Upshaw recording is my go-to (I have it on CD) and I can't imagine it being topped. That being said, I have a major thing for Gerrard's voice so her version is a must-hear.