I must give that Infernal Majesty album a listen. The artwork always repulses me whenever I see it, but then again, the artwork on that Dwarr album is impressively spastic and it didn't stop me buying it  ::)

Pretty sure someone mentioned cynic - focus early in this thread. Had tried to get into a few times over the years but didn't click. Dunno whether it was the effect ladden vox or the chon esque sugar sweet guitar parts put me off before, but tried again a few weeks ago and i love it. Been daily listening since.

Despite loving Spheres, none of those other spacey bands ever attracted me. I saw Cynic at Wacken 08 and thought they were shite but maybe it's time for a revisit.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 24, 2023, 12:22:33 AMI must give that Infernal Majesty album a listen. The artwork always repulses me whenever I see it, but then again, the artwork on that Dwarr album is impressively spastic and it didn't stop me buying it  ::)

Yep, it repulsed me for years but now, I must say I have a soft spot for it. All hail the frog king!

Sodom - Demonized
Destruction - Bestial Invasion of Hell
Kreator/Tormentor - Bonecrushing Demos

I've known for a long time that my tastes alternate over time between a few subgenres. Looks like its proto-black metal season for now.

#66 June 25, 2023, 01:23:30 AM Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 01:28:57 AM by Mithrandir
Quote from: open face surgery on June 24, 2023, 12:07:19 AMInfernal Majesty - None Shall Defy and Deicide - Legion. I've got obsessed by these albums in the last few years. Separate entities. There really is nothing better and for me it's never newer albums that do that for me. When both of them clicked I felt like I was brand new listened to metal for the first time and it's ongoing. I dunno. Hammered drunk but they give me that feeling that it justifies my obsession.

None Shall Defy is just so fucking good, hits every time, it's up there with my favourite albums. They captured an atmosphere on this in a way that slayer did on the first couple of albums. This album really should have been huge. After years I've grown to like the dodgy goblin king cover. Just this week I picked up the High Roller reissue, can't wait til it lands. 

Incantations, spoken at the stroke of midnight. Exhume the bodies from their timeless slumberrrrrr!!

In terms of legion I seem to really only go back to S/T. I genuinely think they perfected what death metal is on that one so to me legion just never hit the same, even though it's a ferocious beast in itself.

Yep, they even out Slayer at times, if that makes any sense. Probably my most listened to metal album of the last year or two. Perfect. I have the piss yellow HR reissue.