Sixteen years after 'Epicurean Mass' Orodruin are finally about to release their second album on the 25th of October.  Two new songs online, both strong,  but 'Man of Peace' sounds exceptional.

http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2019/09/13/orodruin-ruins-of-eternity-review-premiere/

https://youtu.be/wiVLV6WQCKE

Forsaken is pretty good but ya, the one above is better. I just find a lot of this type of stuff feels a little spartan in terms of production. It's neither hefty nor miserable enough to really do it for me, despite the songs ticking a lot of boxes.

I'd take this raw production overt 90% of amp worship doom, to be honest.  It is certainly sparse and lo-fi but has character.

Aye, the songs themselves have a lot more going for them than the usual stuff that's more focused that Orange sound, rather than songs. They have nice little interesting parts thrown in, which give it a nice touch, and the vocals are spot on, the delivery just falls short, for me. It's a pity cos I'm keen to find more of this kinda stuff. It doesn't need to be modern sounding, just heftier. Or failing that, just something extra to give it a lift, whether a bit more spice to the guitars, sonically speaking, or a bit of violin or something. Personal preference, I spose.

Check out Dautha. They'll tick every single box you're after.

I'd agree with emphyrio on this. That song sounds great and has some lovely melodies b it t the production really holds it back imo.
Also that cover artis deadly but really doesn't fit the music. It's a pity cos I think it sounds Great but I definitely won't listen to it with that production.
Production wise for doom stuff I think MDBs the dreadful hours is perfect.

Dreadful Hours is a great album but I think production wise it's the point just before they slipped down the wishy washy route.  I like a bit of grit in my doom (and everything else). I agree that the artwork doesn't fit it at all but I also think it's just a boring non- descript piece. They could have used something a bit bolder,  alas. If you're familiar with Orodruin's other stuff the production will be familiar as it's the same as they have ever used.

The band was immense live circa that debut album. I'll hold judgement on the new material until I have a copy in my hands. Cannot imagine they have strayed from their original vision.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 05, 2019, 08:23:55 PM
Dreadful Hours is a great album but I think production wise it's the point just before they slipped down the wishy washy route.

Yep agreed about that but dreadful hours is perfect for me and the drum work on that album is bloody brilliant. Yer man loves his fills!
Dunno if most people know this but Johnny from bal sagoth did all the keyboard work on that album and it is immaculate.

Must lash it out again,  it's been too long.  Definitely agree about the drumming on it.  It's filly but also really imaginative with those rolls and fills.  Some really clever and unusual timings.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 05, 2019, 09:37:17 PM
Must lash it out again,  it's been too long.  Definitely agree about the drumming on it.  It's filly but also really imaginative with those rolls and fills.  Some really clever and unusual timings.

Yep and that main riff from the raven and the rose is one where when you hear you are like oh god I wish I wrote that haha

The drum pattern at the start of Raven is so cool.

The 'Ruins of Eternity' CD arrived today and I'm on my second consecutive listen.  This is perfect.  'Epicurean Mass' lacked something to make it stand toe to toe with other brilliant doom releases of that 00s era,  I always felt.  Their songs on the split with Reverend Bizarre and 'Claw Tower' were stronger than the album and showed what they were really capable of.  Whatever magic was lacking from 'Epicurean Mass' is here in abundance.  I'm utterly hooked.

The missus said,  yeah they sound good.  The singer sounds like Dave Grohl. Ugh... she's right  :laugh:

None the less,  OMG ALBUM OV DE YEERE!!!