Not a fan of their newer stuff at all however I did like their death metal outputs and of course their early stuff. These days they just come across as a pound shop Dimmu Borgir band.

Always enjoy them live but they don't do anything for me on record from what I've listened to.

They seem to be one of those bands that you can boost your metal credibility by taking the piss out of. I saw a meme going around there a while ago which said "Behemoth are the Polish Five Finger Death Punch. Change my mind."

Personally, I liked the last few albums and I think it's great that a band like that can have as much success as they've had.

Behemoth and Ghost,max metal points if you hate both.

Quote from: Anton Arcane on December 03, 2020, 10:47:37 AM
They seem to be one of those bands that you can boost your metal credibility by taking the piss out of. I saw a meme going around there a while ago which said "Behemoth are the Polish Five Finger Death Punch. Change my mind."

Personally, I liked the last few albums and I think it's great that a band like that can have as much success as they've had.
I agree, especially considering Black Metal is probably the most underground. I look forward to seeing them live again if that gig with Carcass goes ahead

I think they are great. Love their recent albums.

Quote from: Paul keohane on December 02, 2020, 05:19:03 PM
Personally loved their mid period death metal albums,Satanica,Thelema 6 and Zos kia.An animal of a live band back in that period too.

The earlier and later albums dont interest me much,enjoyd them any time ive seen them.They get a lot of hate from the underground,but most bands that become popular usually do.

If you had said to me 20 years ago that they would be playing  Vicar st and St Johns Castle id have laughed at you.

They are what they are,a band making the most of it,id go see them live tomorrow no problem.

Same here. Those mid period albums are class. Think last time I saw them was in Whelans with Incantation??  I think. Definitely
Didn't see them getting to where they are now.

Pandemonic Incantations is much overlooked and these days I consider it to be their best work, could do without that synth intro, though. Around Demigod Nergal made up his mind about the band being his main source of income and the rest is just a logical follow-up of that decision.

From the newer stuff I enjoyed Evangelion quite a lot. To be fair, musically, they never really dropped the ball completely, it's just there is a lot of rehashing and "appropriating" of other bands work.

Ok, to be fair, Thelema 6...  is savage, too bad about the production.

On a side note, Nergal is a complete, attention seeking... horse these days.

I remember seeing promo photos of them circa 2000 and thinking it was a cringey vibe. Never bothered to listen to any of their full albums as a result. In more recent years I've discovered The Return Of The Northern Moon and........ From The Pagan Vastlands are quite excellent 2nd wave Black Metal and well worth checking out if that is your thing.

A colossal live band with a few excellent albums, but if my kids Polish grandmother knows of them (she has heard of Vader though too in fairness), they are probably over exposed. But sure look, how many bands cease to become bands and become a quasi-PLC once they can make a comfortable living from it, sad but true.

Same goes for anything, like Celtic FC, despite a catastrophic run of results, sent me an email with a link to the shop where 'supporters support' and 'why not buy Celtic Christmas Jumpers for all the family, but hurry...etc'.

They want your money.

Ive only started appreciating them on the last 2 albums actually, the more technical stuff over the past 12 or so years didnt do much for me personally.  Great marketing ethos though and they have built a great brand for their band and are entitled to earn their corn.  What my ears hear is (for me anyway) what matters - thats where the rubber hits the road and i loved the last few albums (especially ILYAYD).  That said - they've played Ireland "a lot" recently (ahem) and i dont think i'll go see them til the next album touring cycle....