#30 April 29, 2020, 08:20:03 PM Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:00:50 AM by Carnage
I'm a recent convert to Bandcamp but it's great way to get a bit more cash directly to the bands themselves, from what I gather. I'd always try to grab a T-shirt along with a CD, if available.

Tomorrow, 1st of May, Bandcamp are waiving their fees so bands will get 100% of whatever you pay (excluding tax, of course). Can't argue with that. Under normal circumstances, bands get about 75% of whatever you pay in Bandcamp.

They're doing it again on the 1st of June and July.

Don't get Spotify... or why bands like to use it.

If I buy digital or merch, it's usually on bandcamp.

Avoided streaming/digital services for a long time before caving 4-5 years ago and dipping into iTunes and Bandcamp. Used to download the Bandcamp purchases and then add to iTunes, so as to have music all in once place.

Bounced from that to purely using Apple Music and then found that Spotify was a much cleaner application with a surprising amount of obscure output accessible across a range of genres. Also, have discovered so much new music over the last year or so thanks to the playlists it creates based on your listening.

That said, it does happen often that Bandcamp will have certain releases that are unavailable on Spotify, so both apps see almost the same level of usage.

There's a handful of bands (often those more obscure or 'problematic' acts) I'll always support 'physically' - either via direct record purchases or a few quid for a digital download - but I no longer have the space or interest in more vinyl/CDs/tapes collecting dust.