If early Genesis / Yes are floating your boat , Big Big Train are worth a listen ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4JeLGchO7s

Quote from: wiped on April 10, 2020, 12:40:11 PM
If early Genesis / Yes are floating your boat , Big Big Train are worth a listen ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4JeLGchO7s

That's cool

Another album I love is Sound of Contact's "Dimensionaut" from 2013. It's a concept album about space and time travel. Phil Collin's son Simon plays drums and lead vocals - there are parts were he's unbelievably like his dad - vocal wise but also drumming style.
It's a great album although I'd probably call it "pop-prog" (not that there's anything wrong with that).  Recommend giving the album a full listen ... the 19min finale "Möbius Slip"  is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1U3rFjQu8

I tend to shy away from the likes of the Porcupine Trees of this world, preferring the older Prog, but them 2 recommendations sound great. Anything else comes to mind, I'm all ears.

Anyone a fan of Pure Reason Revolution, or are they a bit too mainstream to qualify? I loved The Dark Third, never got into anything else but apparently they've reformed and have a new one out (or about to come out), it's getting good reviews.

Quote from: Pedrito on April 12, 2020, 11:06:52 AM
I tend to shy away from the likes of the Porcupine Trees of this world, preferring the older Prog, but them 2 recommendations sound great. Anything else comes to mind, I'm all ears.

Give Steve Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing" a go, it's his most overtly old school prog record and all the better for it.

Totally agree with Ducky regarding Wilson's "Raven That Refused to Sing". Don't dismiss it cos you're not a PT fan ... it's very much Wilson's most "prog faithful" album if you know what I mean.

Another pure 70's sounding prog album - plenty of jazz noodling - would be Diagonal's 2012 album - The Second Mechanism. These remind me more of Van Der Graaf Generator. It's a good album - if a little unremarkable. Worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUQuzRzvEPs

I was trying out some of the Peter Gabriel era Genesis from this thread and it did very little for me. Then for some reason I tried out PG solo albums, and with the exception of one of them I love them all. He has a real goldmine of stuff there and I ended up buying nearly the whole discography including the soundtracks.

A great find and I love how all of the albums are really different from one another

He is an incredible artist alright. If you like Gabriel then The Lamb Lies Down is the album I would say you might enjoy. It takes a bit of time though.

That song Solsbury Hill, what an exclamation of a song...joyful, life affirming stuff. It was written upon leaving Genesis and he had a spiritual experience on the hill he said. Something very Nietzschean about it all looking at the lyrics now. Class...I need to listen to more of his solo stuff. 

Something I really love about PG is how he doesn't repeat himself. Like if you like one song, don't be surprised if you don't find anything else like it in his collection. I don't mean that in an off putting way because he does have certain elements that are consistent but the variety is something to behold. If you like the Genesis stuff I would recommend starting from the beginning of his own stuff because it's the closest to that even though it's pretty different from the off.

Must try The Lamb... again now that I've gotten into his stuff

Agree completely, and it's what I feel is the difference between so much modern music, and I'd lump a lot of metal into this generalisation...a sticking to the already tried and tested and a failure to really try something unique and new. I was in a band in my early 20's, and while I love metal I also love punk and (good)pop stuff, prog, whatever, and that can be a very tricky think to try and manifest once you go down the metal road. That said, it shouldn't be, and the metal that has stood the test of time like The Priests and Sabbaths of this world, often blurred the lines, being really infectiously poppy, writing love songs etc etc. We see it now in film especially where exciting, new, risk taking ideas are cast aside for the tried and trusted, churning out more of the same old Star Wars pap, for example, something that was fresh and exciting in it's time, but has become cliché now. Great point there about Gabriel. The likes of Bowie was similar, Iggy Pop, John Lydon amongst others.