Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 03, 2019, 05:39:52 PM
Quote from: O Drighes on September 02, 2019, 06:21:19 PM
That's 4 flawless albums...

3 flawless albums if, like me, you think the new one sounds exactly the same as the last. I still can't decide whether that's praise or criticism though.

Equal in tone, riffs are different...but I get what you mean, it's no departure. Was there any departure in their career though? The drums get complex each album, other than that riffs are different within the same scales, it's the essence of their sound. The only song I think that could actually be part of EiF is "Age of Excuse II", but in fairness I think that they just can't afford having the element of surprise to their music anymore, we all know what it's going to be about. Despite the hype I think they still deliver.

The tones are so similar, on every instrument, you'd swear the songs were from the same session. With Hearts definitely "sounds" different to Exercises.

Not really liking this so far just sounds like songs that didn't make the cut for the EIF.

Typically now getting much better with each listen. I was just use to how easy EIF was to get into whereas this is more like Groza or WHTN and will take time. III and IV are great.

Just listening to it again on headphones. Drums are always mental from WHTN on, but this album has far more complex guitar work than others. Wasn't from the tones it wouldn't sound like EiF at all.

On the other hand, lyrics are fukking brilliant, but I enjoyed vocal placement way more on WHTN and EiF, this new album vocals sound a lot more obvious  and done purposefully catchy than others.

Quote from: O Drighes on September 06, 2019, 04:01:56 PM
Just listening to it again on headphones. Drums are always mental from WHTN on, but this album has far more complex guitar work than others. Wasn't from the tones it wouldn't sound like EiF at all.

On the other hand, lyrics are fukking brilliant, but I enjoyed vocal placement way more on WHTN and EiF, this new album vocals sound a lot more obvious  and done purposefully catchy than others.

I know what You mean about vocals. This is one of the things that struck me.  In general the latest Mgla's record bears all the signs of a work of a band that's done some touring and is expecting to do some more.  The experience of playing live surely helped to shape this one up. And I dont mean it as an insult, as in my opinion, too, it is a grower and I'm  liking it more with each listen.

Definitely an album that gets better with each listen. I think all the nuances in the drum playing really add to the enjoyment of repeated listens.

As said, his lyrics are on a whole other level of their own

Quote from: Melmoth on September 09, 2019, 07:50:18 PM
Definitely an album that gets better with each listen. I think all the nuances in the drum playing really add to the enjoyment of repeated listens.

Watching Darkside live is just mesmerising....

https://youtu.be/wcsTJ1n2jkE

Anyone get a copy from no solace yet? I've no nails left waiting on it...

Quote from: Scáthach on September 09, 2019, 09:58:32 PM
Anyone get a copy from no solace yet? I've no nails left waiting on it...

Nope...... but in in Sydney so migh take bit longer :P :P

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on September 09, 2019, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: Melmoth on September 09, 2019, 07:50:18 PM

Watching Darkside live is just mesmerising....

https://youtu.be/wcsTJ1n2jkE

Fantastic viewing

Their first few releases, including 'Groza', were quite striking; most recent output is fairly interchangeable.