There is a dizzying amount of versions of the Sabbath classics listed on discogs. I am no audio nerd and no vinyl nerd either but if I was to upgrade some of my black sabbath cds to vinyl is there any particular versions I need to be getting or indeed avoiding? For example I know Back on Black reissues have a bad rep and I have to admit I rarely stick on my BOB Possessed Seven Churches cos it sounds thin and weak so has anything been re-released for Sabbath that I similarly need to avoid or is everything fairly solid?

It's only if something is shockingly good or bad that I'd be interested in. I don't need originals either. If there's a solid reissue I'm happy with that but don't want to blindly buy something subpar. Cheers

In the same boat as you regarding upgrading the BS albums to Vinyl, missed out on the last Boxset and its going for stupid money now.
So be interesting to see other posters opinions on the best pressing, as there are so many.

I think back on black have improved as they used to be all taken basically from CD version (could be wrong) but i did read an article they have improved.

Almost all the pressings of Sabbath albums I have (Ozzy/Dio eras) are on the 'NEMS' label and two of them are on Vertigo (Master of Reality/Sabbath Bloody Sabbath). I have 'Live at Last' but I can't remember the label.

The NEMS ones sound good (seem to be from the 70s) while the vertigo ones sound much warmer. Don't know what the black on black ones are like.

The Vertigo Pressings of the first 4  and the nems 70s presses tend to be good - although I have been told that the ultimate presses are the green Warner brothers from the USA. Although there are some sections that say any pressings in the mid to late 70s were the worst due to shortages in vinyl and them being presses wafer thin. Go for nems or if the price is right the vertigo

There are also Vertigo 'spaceship' pressings (usually 2nd or 3rd presses) recommended too, if the price is right as said above.

I actually don't think there are Back on Black Sabbath vinyls, I was just using it as an example of a label with a poorish reputation for re releasing classic stuff.

The only Sabbath I have on vinyl is Vol 4 and it's on NEMS but seems to be some sort of mid 80s German edition as far as I can recall. There's so many of them I've no idea if this is considered an inferior press of a classic or what!

What would be in high Street shops - golden discs, Tower etc? Wonder are they any use?

I'm always wary of buying second hand vinyl on discogs. Always seems to be significantly more crackley than the 'very good plus' "promises.

New box set of the early vinyls due out on 6th September.

Cheers for the heads up, will deffo be picking this one up!

Went on Sabs vinyl hunt a few years back after I picked up a Masters Of Reality in Amsterdam for a good price as the original poster was missing.
Got some NEMS versions in various second hand shops. Bought the Castle re-issue of the debut when it came out as I presumed I'd never actually get my hands on first press.

But after trawling the web and eBay on and off for ages, I managed to get decent deals on UK first presses of some others. All in good nick, too... Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Vol.4 in particular to round out the first four.

Quote from: leatherface on July 11, 2019, 03:56:15 PM
There are also Vertigo 'spaceship' pressings (usually 2nd or 3rd presses) recommended too, if the price is right as said above.

The Vertigo 'spaceship' version of Vol.4 is supposedly one of the rarest LP's released by the band. Only 100 or so copies made. Got my hands on one of those too, although it went for a song as the cover is almost totally ruined. Ripped, torn, burned, etc... LP is in good condition, though. Despite it's poor overall state, it's a pretty deadly piece to own.

Picked up Paranoid on Reel-to-Reel at one point, too.
Spotted it on eBay for a few quid, threw in a shit bid and ended up winning it.   :P