I just fired on TGW. I think that Coffin Ships is probably my least favorite song on the album to be honest. And I still think it's a good song; I just think that the rest of the album is better. It always seems to me that they hold that tune in such high regard that it has maybe derailed them a bit. There have been numerous attempts since to recapture it's emotional weight or significance, mostly with diminishing returns. Even the most recent single they put out (a good song in its own right ) is another attempt to capitalise on the Irish diaspora. I'm fed up to fuck with the subject. I would love if Alan left the geopolitical stuff behind at this stage. It was grand for one or two albums (songs??) but it's beyond stale in 2023.

Anyway, the point I was making before going into a rant was that pretty much all of TGW is worthy of a place in their live set.

Edit. Song of the Tomb! What a ripper.

Edit edit. Ok ok, I definitely went overboard a bit there. Coffin Ships is a damn good song. Its legacy is my real issue.

Pretty sure Cast to the Pyre was in there too..

I went out to this and it was great, a packed, cool venue right next to the castle. Realised I hadn't seen em since 2016, back then they were playing far too much of Greater Men, Redemption and TTND. Had no interest in Exile either but suprisingly it feels like these new tracks are leaning more toward the classics.

Somebody posted stuff on YouTube. It seemed the whole place was getting into it and AA was smiling loads!
Had to watch the live dvd after that. The version of Coffin Ships on that is killer.
Lean and mean. 

TGW is probably my favourite as well, and I agree that it's a shame that we hear nothing else off it.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 16, 2023, 11:25:44 PMI just fired on TGW. I think that Coffin Ships is probably my least favorite song on the album to be honest. And I still think it's a good song; I just think that the rest of the album is better. It always seems to me that they hold that tune in such high regard that it has maybe derailed them a bit. There have been numerous attempts since to recapture it's emotional weight or significance, mostly with diminishing returns. Even the most recent single they put out (a good song in its own right ) is another attempt to capitalise on the Irish diaspora. I'm fed up to fuck with the subject. I would love if Alan left the geopolitical stuff behind at this stage. It was grand for one or two albums (songs??) but it's beyond stale in 2023.

Anyway, the point I was making before going into a rant was that pretty much all of TGW is worthy of a place in their live set.

Edit. Song of the Tomb! What a ripper.

Edit edit. Ok ok, I definitely went overboard a bit there. Coffin Ships is a damn good song. Its legacy is my real issue.

It's the same as any song that becomes a true staple of a live set, in fairness.

I listened to TGW yesterday and it's perfect for the grey Autumn days. End of All Times is prob my fav off it. It's the start of the modern sound they have, in terms of BIG songs, but not quite fully realized.

There are two types of Primordial songs played live, the ones that start with clap alongs and the ones that don't. And TGW stuff doesn't quite fit into either category.

Just about the right amount of people or so for the venue in what seemed to be at first a pokey old mans pub until I realise there was something at the back and even upstairs.
I always enjoy visiting Drogheda although it has some serious dereliction but I guess that's not even unusual. Also I now know a decent hostel there which might be useful in the future.

Raum Kingdom I never heard of before but really enjoyed them kind of leaning towards Amenra side of slow paced heaviness

Primordial I honestly worried if they wound turn everything up to eleven and blast everyone with a wall of noise from a broken pa or something.
Anyway looking at all the amps set up on stage beforehand was reassuring and indeed the whole thing sounded great.
Got a little busy drinking and jigging about to give my full attention in respectful and dignified listen but sure whatever.