Well Prong (Tommy Victor) has just announced a new album.

Always had a special place for these lads. "Cleansing" is an epic milestone, "snap your fingers", "who's fist".....

Great in the voodoo lounge that night the bass player wanted to get closer to a bloke in the crowd  :-*

"Rude awakening" took a lot of flak, title song I still like.

Later "Carved into stone" was rocking.... didn't like "Scorpio Rising". Maybe a can was being kicked here.....

Heres the new single:

They seem to have decided on a formula these days. Love their early and mid period stuff right up to Rude Awakening. Actually threw on Scorpio Rising the other night and had to turn it off by track 4 I couldn't stand another minute of the vocals. That's definitely the lowest point for them

Quote from: KingHostile on August 03, 2023, 08:15:27 PMAlways had a special place for these lads.
Likewise, heard Third Stone From The Sun and was hooked. They had such a unique sound. Was one of maybe three people who was into them at the FNM gig  :laugh:

Prove You Wrong was the one which really did it for me but I have a lot of time for everything up to the breakup. Had high hopes for Scorpio Rising but it was solid shite. There's probably one great album to be made of everything since Tommy started using the name again but, overall, the recent stuff has been fairly Prong-by-numbers. This new song is no exception. It sounds like he's trying to do Cleansing again.

#3 August 05, 2023, 11:54:43 PM Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 11:56:23 PM by KingHostile
Indeed.....Tommy thinks he's found a formula. Pity, really I always thought Tommy was a bit more inventive.

The Twitter badge just has Tommy on it says it all.

PS... Mindfunk man... listening to Goddess here! wow 1993! which is probably the last time I listened to this! I must have walked around with this tune paying in my head for weeks!

I was really hoping Tommy himself was gonna show up here...

For me I like PRONG okay, I think the early albums are the best, Beg to Differ, Prove You Wrong and Cleansing are great. The newer stuff is just alright, kind of hit and miss really with a good tune here and there worth coming back to (I like the one Revenge Best Served Cold) but can be very samey and formulaic indeed for the most part. Like its not bad enough to be completely shit but not interesting enough to bother with repeated listens kind of thing. Victor is a deadly guitarist either way though, he never seems to run out of quality groovy riffs, his work with DANZIG especially I think stands out.#

On an aside, I seen Mind Funk were just mentioned there (not sure the relation), I only discovered them a while ago, by way of having Reed St. Mark of Celtic Frost on drums! that band were pretty cool, enjoyable grungey funk metal that I think actually has aged surprisingly well. For me better than the likes of Living Color anyway.

Danzig were better without Victor, he doesn't suit.

As for Prong, plenty of time for them, even the more recent  material. Got into them with 'Cleansing' back when that was out. Great sounding guitar tone on that one.

Quote from: leatherface on August 08, 2023, 10:27:22 PMDanzig were better without Victor, he doesn't suit.

I thought Circle Of Snakes was pretty good. The last thing of theirs that I liked, though.

Cool band but recent material hasn't been great, Scorpio the absolute worst for sure.

That was a great gig in voodoo and I clearly remember the fracas, poor turnout too from what I recall.

#8 August 10, 2023, 08:48:17 AM Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 09:01:11 AM by Pentagrimes
Just sticking the neck out to say"Force Fed" is genius,  one of the best thrash albums ever, frantic as fuck and some bonkers riffing. Sorely underrated. Couldn't say I'd have any interest in anything since "Beg To Differ", which is patchy at best

Cleansing the only album I ever had by them!,loved it but never explored more.