For a band who would never hit the heights of their peers, Fistful of Metal isn't that bad as a debut. Remix of Killing Is My Business... def revealed a different beast, but sticking to the debuts as released, Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy were well out in front imo.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on January 23, 2024, 04:19:11 PMYep, him and Poland. The pair of them went a long way to what makes those first two albums so unique.

Poland as well, knew that I didn't imagine this.

Blows my mind that MegaDave hired Vinnie Coliauta AKA one of the greatest jazz/fusion/session drummers to ever live and his brief was effectively "play like Nick Menza".

Quote from: Ducky on January 23, 2024, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: Bürggermeister on January 23, 2024, 04:19:11 PMYep, him and Poland. The pair of them went a long way to what makes those first two albums so unique.

Poland as well, knew that I didn't imagine this.

Blows my mind that MegaDave hired Vinnie Coliauta AKA one of the greatest jazz/fusion/session drummers to ever live and his brief was effectively "play like Nick Menza".

Menza was no slouch either and for a guy who craves success, telling Vinnie to sound like an ingredient to the older successful formula makes some degree of sense.

Ya, he was hired as a session musician. He's not playing with Chick Corea.

Although, Return To Forever > Return To Hangar  :laugh:

I don't even know what Return to Hangar is so it must be true.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 23, 2024, 04:30:39 PMFor a band who would never hit the heights of their peers, Fistful of Metal isn't that bad as a debut. Remix of Killing Is My Business... def revealed a different beast, but sticking to the debuts as released, Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy were well out in front imo.

Agreed, it's decent speed metal.  Anthrax get a lot of flak whatever they do anyway.

Back to Slayer, the earlier material showcases a better singing style from Tom Araya, not sure why he decided to embark on a screaming marathon for much of their later career.

I never understood why Slayer never played Tormentor live more. It's a class song.

Arayas shouting I'm so angry vocals come across as very contrived on the later albums .They are a real turn off .

Show no mercy was the first LP I ever bought and remains one of my favourite metal albums of any genre along with reign in blood .

Anthrax are utter shite by the way

Took my first listen to this the other day. Didn't like it tbh. Don't really have anything else to say about it because it wasn't awful or anything but I guess I'm just not in the mood for that. Oh well

#41 January 31, 2024, 04:21:26 AM Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 04:27:08 AM by Ducky
Quote from: astfgyl on January 30, 2024, 11:45:07 PMTook my first listen to this the other day. Didn't like it tbh. Don't really have anything else to say about it because it wasn't awful or anything but I guess I'm just not in the mood for that. Oh well

Die By the Sword, Black Magic, and Fight Till Death are classics. Then again, I think Hell Awaits is hot poop, so what do I know :laugh:

I like SNM but I prefer the versions of those tunes on Live Undead.

Quote from: astfgyl on January 30, 2024, 11:45:07 PMTook my first listen to this the other day. Didn't like it tbh. Don't really have anything else to say about it because it wasn't awful or anything but I guess I'm just not in the mood for that. Oh well

First time ever? Mad the ones that just end up passing you by for whatever reason.

Aye, never heard a note of it until the other day. Will likely end up giving it another go because I'm on a right Slayer buzz at the minute but as it is it's a bit too nwobhm compared to the rest. Like I mentioned it's not even bad or shit tunes or anything it's just not the time