Bölzer, Morbus Chron, Tribulation, Oranssi Pazuzu, etc., did this wave of almost expressionist/romanticist European extreme metal bands - who all arrived on the scene in and around 10 years ago now - ever get a collective label in the press?

Maybe not enough material here for a thread, but I threw on Formulas of Death here for the first time in a while and was thinking about it in terms of this "wave" of bands who around 10 years ago came along and injected so much invigorating and innovative energy into the underground scene.

I know there were some crap bits here and there but labelling it the new wave of retarded death metal is harsh in the extreme.

:laugh:

I wasn't saying it needed one, much less that we should give it one, just asking if the press had given it one.

But to the topic. I believe you are correct - the bands/albums you note from that period of time do certainly share something. Call it boundary pushing (albeit gently for some...poking perhaps?), or a spirit of exploration/experimentation. There's a definite kinship amongst them.

I imagine they didn't get lumped together in a 'movement' because Terrorizer was on the skids at that point, eh? Were Iron Fist or Zero Tolerance still on the newsracks? IDK.

I honestly can't remember if they were accepted in the mainstream metal fandom or remained on the edges of recognition. Maybe if one or two of them poked through, the rest would have been similarly embraced.

Frankly - I'm making an attempt to be coherent here purely because you had the good grace to indulge the doofus joke of an old pal.  I know what my R is for...

Outside of the US do these movements generally get these spazzer collective labels?  With Morbus Chron and Tribulation they became more experimental after their first albums so lazy journalism may dictate that they keep their original categorisation, at least for the next album, and after that Tribulation were off on one and Morbus Chron had morphed completely.

Saw NWOOSDM yesterday which was new to me and maybe already redundant.

I saw NWOOSDM written somewhere too but didn't see what it meant. I think I'm better off not knowing  :laugh:

Also, these monikers create a fad which is more likely to put a shorter shelf life on the band's popularity.

Depends on the moniker too, no? Like "war metal" hasn't done anyone any harm, say.

War metal is a sub genre going back to Blasphemy, Beherit, Archgoat, Bestial Warlust etc. I understand that all subs started as a few bands but it's not the same these days given the speed of change and the over saturation of bands.

Also,  I think the link between the bands mentioned is too tenuous beyond them being around at the same time for them to be lumped in together.

There's definitely a big angle of my own experience in there alright; at a time I was thinking metal was really on the slump, Formulas in particular sucked me right back in and then I discovered the others I mentioned.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 01, 2022, 09:53:47 PM
I saw NWOOSDM written somewhere too but didn't see what it meant. I think I'm better off not knowing  :laugh:

New Wave Of Old School Death Metal, maybe? What was wrong with 'death metal'?

When I was young this was all fields...

That's the one and I agree. The use of atmospheric before either black metal or death metal is a pet peeve for me as well. Those genres are fundamentally atmospheric. Although when I see it for BM it's usually a good deterrent.

I must go back to Formulas. Was obsessed with it for a good few years but wasn't mad on it the last time I threw it on. Admittedly, that occasion was coloured by a mate pointing out all the things she didn't like about it.

New band from an ex Morbus Chron head..definitely closer to the earlier MC stuff than the later.. Could also fit in the "modern old school death metal" thread I guess

https://harroweddeathmetal.bandcamp.com/

Not the worst.