There´´s a plethora of albums by bands waiting to be rediscovered that tend to get overlooked when first released, and I thought naively when Solemn Verses came out in 2012 it would have made a decent impact , especially on the Irish metal circles due to the unending support in the underground for melodious doom acts like Warning, 40 watts Sun, Skepticism, Mourning Beloveth, Graveyard Dirt, Arcane Sun, Solitude Aeturnus, etc but it didn´t cause much of a stir at all. Very little was mentioned about it from the appreciators of Finnish trad doom , I dont think they knew it was released even.

I helped with the art so naturally it´s personl (I was not the first choice, the previous artist was unavailable to commit to it, so I was more than happy to dab in the paint) When I first heard the sample tracks before I started, I felt this was an album to pay attention to at least this will be a favourite for the end of 2012 I thought and for the depth of it , it became a memorium album for the late Hannu Weckman who took his life while the album was being made in 2011 .Solemn Verses took 3 years to finish and its a very emotional one, a bid farewell to a long standing member .This was the last album from Fall of the Idols which closed a chapter for the band. As you listen through the tracks theres a great meaning in the songs, rather Prophetic for today, -last line of the album- 'We Bought The Hype´´

You´ll be pleasantly surprised by this one, if you like doom have no expectations, if you dont like doom check it out anyway!

From Track VI. The New Crusade, not every doom band has a line that starts with ´´ On my way to the unemployment office ,Wondering about the Coming of Apophis ´´ and crush away it flows. All the tracks are beautifully done, great voice melodies, nice warm production, 3 guitars harmonising you get a full fill. A deep ocean of heavy sounds and its not seasick depressing,

Its an album surely worth listening to ona Sunday.

https://ihate.bandcamp.com/album/solemn-verses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XmGaL68P0s

#1 June 13, 2021, 03:20:35 PM Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:27:01 PM by Eoin McLove
I'll give it a blast. I have an earlier album with a painting of a deer standing in a woodland but I can't remember it making much of an impression at the time. Was Albert Witchfinder involved in some way?

Edit. I think he just painted the album cover.

Will stick it on now. Artwork is great, Elaine. You still painting?

Wow, good shout! On the second listen now. Music and especially vocals are excellent, plenty of variety, and loads of unexpected "He sounds just like yer man there!"

Looking around online, looks like it never got a vinyl release...?

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 13, 2021, 03:20:35 PM
I'll give it a blast. I have an earlier album with a painting of a deer standing in a woodland but I can't remember it making much of an impression at the time. Was Albert Witchfinder involved in some way?

Edit. I think he just painted the album cover.

Do Andy! aye Albert did the artwork for that previous release,and Spiritus Mortis did a split release with Fall of the Idols around that time I think. So I guess I got the gig after him.

Quote from: open face surgery on June 13, 2021, 03:52:57 PM
Will stick it on now. Artwork is great, Elaine. You still painting?

Gúrra Mile Bree for the kind words!   I am indeed but at a much slower pace , I don't churn them out like I used to, but finishing up a painting for Wardenclyffe. Now  I´d tidy this artwork up a lot,  I´  rushed it, little things like the cress from the page being scanned in are stuck looking at me. . It was a landscape piece ,same shape as the Procession art cover ,because it was a sending off album, it was boat for sail with a bowed lyre seer player ,  her hair plaiting into the ropes of the boat held by a pallbearer  and motioning it out with another figure that's shown on the back  Big on the emerald green, still am

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 13, 2021, 04:01:12 PM
Wow, good shout! On the second listen now. Music and especially vocals are excellent, plenty of variety, and loads of unexpected "He sounds just like yer man there!"

Looking around online, looks like it never got a vinyl release...?

That's right ,just cd and it would be a lovely vinyl piece, who knows, maybe that day will come. I think it should as it worth having , its worth it for the work the band put in. Cheers for giving it a spin!

I'll be sending it on to other folk into doom, it's a great album. Some of their others seem to be of similar high quality, so if we can get enough listeners, maybe a vinyl will appear one day!

Thumbs up for that!  I think for all their years active Solemn Verses shines excellently by far, before they called it a day.  As its a hidden gem ofa rarely played album!

Missed this album entirely. I liked the demos then was somewhat underwhelmed by their debut album. Wonder how they stack up after all these years?

Some of their demo stuff was good alright, particularly the self title one from 2004. Enjoyed the Womb of the Earth too, but the production was a bit flat. I think I have a copy of this one too, but it must have failed to make and impression at the time.

Caught them live at one of the Dutch Doom Days, think it was 2008. I recall them being pretty good, thanks in part to the frontman's odd behaviour.

Are they still a going concern? Metal Archives has them listed as active, I thought they called it a day after the Drummer died?