Pulled the trigger on the EVH 5150 Stealth.  Every demo with any guitar or cab used with it just sounded great.  Any review online was basically "it works and sounds unreal".  Should have it in the next week or two so I'll let ye know how I get on.

Quote from: ochoill on October 03, 2024, 10:25:59 AMPulled the trigger on the EVH 5150 Stealth.  Every demo with any guitar or cab used with it just sounded great.  Any review online was basically "it works and sounds unreal".  Should have it in the next week or two so I'll let ye know how I get on.

You really can't go wrong with the EVHs for heavier music. They're definitely tighter and more refined than the original 5150/6505 which some people don't like. But I find they work great for lower tuning especially. You can always turn up the resonance and mids to get them closer to the 5150/6505.

The stealth is meant to be a little tighter and have a bit more gain than the standard one. But tbh I've not noticed that much difference.

Had a few jams with the EVH Stealth 100w now and it is fantastic.  Couldn't fault it in any way.  Bar how much it fuckin weighs compared to my Elf :laugh:

Instantly great amp sounds so I'm using them at the minute, mainly red/third channel.  Boosting with two of my own pedals (Richter - dual boost/drive at 12v, and Sardonic Perpetrator - Harmonic Percolator clone) here and there and there's some great sounds across it but I need to dial in those to suit more.

Mainly going high gain for the Ordinator stuff, but on the other hand there is huge punch out of the clean channel on low gain being hit with the Sard Perp, neck pickup.  Sharp, violent noise rock tone.

Anyway, delighted

I've always had a DSL100, modded it a bit here and there but it's been my go-to for over 20 years and it's never let me down. However, more recently having to consider fly-gigs, I picked up a Victory V4 Kraken (the Rabea Massaad one). Two channel full valve preamp and a 180 watt solid power section to plug straight into a speaker, or a Two Notes cab SIM on a DI out. And the whole thing takes up a quarter of a pedalboard, it comes with me in hand luggage. Has a headphone jack for backstage practice, and even a 9V-out to power the other pedals on the board.

https://www.victoryamps.com/product/v4-the-kraken-guitar-amp/

It is the fucking ticket, I must say. All the travel handiness and most of the gig/recording versatility of a digital modeller but with the clout of a real amp.

Quote from: Poley on October 25, 2024, 11:37:28 AMhttps://www.victoryamps.com/product/v4-the-kraken-guitar-amp/

It is the fucking ticket, I must say. All the travel handiness and most of the gig/recording versatility of a digital modeller but with the clout of a real amp.

Was looking at these too and they're great, the only thing stopping me getting something like this (or the Orange Pedal Baby as was recommended elsewhere too) was I already have a light travel fix that works!  Once of those little Elfs is 200w/120w for 4 or 8 ohm so you are fairly safe with it, has DI out and headphone out too.  It is fairly plain on its own but running a preamp in front works great, I've a few pedal ones built based off a Sunn Beta Lead there that work nicely with it.

Dare I look these up. The GAS is never kept at bay for long.