Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Dronesandtones

1
Gigs and Festivals / Re: Oasis slane 2026
September 26, 2026, 11:16:13 AM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 26, 2026, 09:33:39 AMBought tickets for the bird for this (she's paying for them) and when I saw the prices I nearly refused on her behalf.

You'd want your fucking head examined paying that money for that shit

I'm sure the gig itself will be good. Saw them years ago for a fraction of the price, thankfully. But yeah so much was made about dynamic pricing a few years ago but people seem ok with 200e being the general admission, and then going all the way up to 500e.
2
Gave Contention a listen last night, class stuff. Nabbed myself a ticket for Dublin
3
Gigs and Festivals / Re: Oasis slane 2026
September 19, 2026, 11:56:35 AM
The prices for these gigs are absolutely insane, the slane prices are absolutely ridiculous. I could be wrong on this but will people pay out like they did the first time out. I know dynamic pricing isn't a factor this time but still.
4
Seems like the Sunstroke festival was probably the best chance of getting something going and building off it. Still, class smaller festivals and events dotted through the country.
5
Musicians forum / Re: Guitar Amps
September 11, 2026, 07:15:17 PM
Quote from: Rosco on September 08, 2026, 03:11:14 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 08, 2026, 12:38:24 PMresurrecting this for the craic..and because i'm about to have an Orange Dual Baby delivered in the next few days. I've had a Marshall origin 50  for the last while that I like but which wasn't quite what I wanted. Also I'm old and tired of lifting big amps so I'm more than happy to get something smaller and lighter. I rarely gig but it'll be nice to have something easier to carry when I do. Excited to try it out.
I got the gain baby a while back and have used it live a few times. Great compact amp. Stereo outputs so you can run two 4x12s. Takes pedals well too. I've run an empress heavy menace into clean channel.
Enjoy!
 


Tbh I think I might go for the gain baby, it seems to tick all of the boxes. Maybe a Jackson surfcaster to go along with it as well  :)
6
Quote from: astfgyl on September 10, 2026, 09:02:05 PMTwo good days with a few decent names would probably sell well enough but what size names are we talking here? I'm thinking whatever is the biggest you'd get in Dolan's like you'd want a few of those or bigger and then where would you have it?

Something like Napalm Death or Paradise lost would hardly carry enough weight to have it anywhere big really as well. What venues could even be considered for it?

So that's a fair bit of the problem and I think The Siege by all accounts wraps up the indoor version.

Sunstroke was attempting something until it got cancelled as well, unfortunately. That could have maybe had second or third stages to cater to heavier or more extreme stuff
Yeah all fair points. I guess when I look at the line ups at roadburn and damnation, was thinking if something like that could be done here. I suppose logistics and other factors dictate that.
Must get myself to the siege.
7
Quote from: John Kimble on September 10, 2026, 05:58:45 PMIt's def something that used to come up on the old MI forum, and probably something that I would have posted in my more youthful, idealistic days, but there's not enough of a demand for it here...or if there is, not enough to justify bands travelling over.
The only way around it would be a festival that draws a similar crowd to Roadburn, ie heavy music that has a crossover appeal to the alternative/indie types. The turnout for Chat Pile was great on both nights, but there was very few metallers to be seen.
The Siege is still going isn't it? Haven't been in a while so no idea what the turnouts have been like. 

I'm a lot less youthful than I use to be  :)  but yeah, get you. There was a lot of Deafheaven, Neurosis shirts rather than battle jackets at Chat Pile both nights. The crossover appeal would be a big factor. Just seems to be a bit of a gap in the Irish market at a glance. I guess being an Island nation is a big barrier.
8
Quote from: Sworntothecans on September 10, 2026, 04:34:44 PMCareful now; ya might summon the "bring Download/Hellfest/Wacken to Ireland" crowd. 🤣

Logistics and cost is always gonna fuck these things over on the island.

I've just seen some absolute brilliant lineups just got me thinking. Recently there was a show in the states with Acid Bath, Melvins and Neurosis, I would have killed to seen that. I had plans to catch Imperial Triumphant and Converge in Munich but couldn't make it work. Ultimately decided to go see Converge in the Uk in November. 
9
Title is a bit clunky and this has probably been discussed before, but the lack of a festival for heavier music in Ireland is a bit mad. Feel like a roadburn, damnation type of festival here would work great. I know there's a few, brilliant smaller weekender/all day type of events on the island but the lack of it on a bigger scale. Every other genre seems catered for to some degree. Seems to be a blind spot for heavier types of music when it comes to the industry over here, in general.
10
Musicians forum / Re: Harley Benton guitars
September 09, 2026, 06:45:17 PM
Quote from: Shardknife on September 09, 2026, 06:26:14 PMI've a few HB guitars. Years ago I got a cheap telecaster. It actually feels nice enough but the bridge is quite cheap on it and the saddles rattle a bit even after I've adjusted them loads of times. I put some duncans in it and it sings but I really don't play it all too often anymore. Not stellar but you'd be happy enough playing it.

I recently picked up one of the newer fusion teles and it's leagues nicer. Crazy specs for the money, ebony board, stainless steel frets, locking tuners. I picked it up used for 200 quid and it's pretty crazy for the price. Fit and finish is perfect, this one has a trem and splittable humbuckers so pretty versatile. I'm not crazy about the pickups right now but they aren't terrible.

I also have a super cheap nylon harley benton acoustic I got from thomann years and years ago and it's still going strong. I even used it at a gig once and made more for that show than the guitar cost. Lovely thing to have lying around.

The fusion range from Harley Benton looks amazing, was looking at strat model max fusion.
11
Gigs and Festivals / Re: Roadburn 2027
September 09, 2026, 04:28:03 PM
Neurosis just announced a run of shows in the US. Do I bite on a Roadburn ticket
12
Musicians forum / Re: Guitar Amps
September 08, 2026, 09:35:51 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 08, 2026, 07:15:35 PMYou'd probably save money buying one of the Sunn Beta preamp pedals out there. Moose ocassionally does them locally, or there are various ones (EAR, Fuzzlord,Blue Colander, Kuro etc) that while not cheap would probably get you there cheaper than that amp

Cheers for that. Was also curious about Wampler's pedalhead, their was a lot of hype for it around NAMM but nothing since, that I've seen.
13
I guess it's up to band itself, I'd imagine they might do some Irish date further in the tour. Pent up demand isn't a bad thing too.
side note, I messaged foggy notions about Sunn 0))) about touring here in this year and last year, after they sold out the concert hall in 2024 ( a gig I missed  :-\ ) they told me they weren't able to make it happen, they've toured Europe twice since last Irish show.

Here's hoping for more Irish Chat Pile shows, cause the two button factory shows were great.
14
Musicians forum / Re: Guitar Amps
September 08, 2026, 07:10:10 PM
Sunn Beta mini also caught my eye, but for me hard to justify buying blind and with the shipping and the rest but it looks and sounds the business
15
Could be a case of not burning out a market too soon. Might do a show in Ireland, later on next year.