Metal Warfare - Irish Metal Forum

Metal Discussion => Metal Discussion => Topic started by: ldj on September 11, 2021, 06:54:18 AM

Title: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on September 11, 2021, 06:54:18 AM
Just seen Mastodon have a new album out next month called Hushed and Grim, single and artwork has been released.

The art is pretty cool, kinda Game of Thrones-y, it was done by Paul Romano who did the art for the first 4 albums.

Not sure what to think of the single yet, it's more dissonant than the stuff they've been doing the last few years, but with a melodic Brann Dailor chorus which I think they've been relying on a bit heavily on the last few.

Hopefully the album is good anyway.

https://youtu.be/haT5ars6RXc

(https://cdn-mos-cms-futurecdn-net.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/AW/s/cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/VLRs9zbdcP6g28oKBasSFf-720-80.jpg)
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Born of Fire on September 11, 2021, 10:06:40 AM
Class artwork. Given that song a few listens now and I'm really liking it. Main riff is very reminiscent of the Remission/Leviathan era style but works great with Troy's hoarse sounding vocals. The clean chorus does distract from the song a bit alright though.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Anton Arcane on September 11, 2021, 10:56:12 AM
I'm not the biggest Mastodon fan in the world but I like that track. I'm getting a bit of a Killing Joke vibe off it.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on September 11, 2021, 11:26:05 AM
Sounds good but yeah, the chorus seems out if place, like it was lifted from another song. Not bad, though.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 11, 2021, 12:13:46 PM
Good tune. Early period mixed with later period, will make for an interesting album if that's the vibe they explore for the whole thing.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on September 11, 2021, 01:44:55 PM
Old and new. Love the angle.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: astfgyl on September 15, 2021, 07:15:53 PM
Always felt like these lads haven't quite fulfilled their potential but maybe they have and that's it
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 01, 2021, 07:44:15 AM
Another new one. Something not quite like anything we've heard from them before. I'm digging it a lot this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1L2XW1N0c
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Bigmac on October 01, 2021, 09:09:27 AM
Really enjoyed both of those new tunes, that bass solo section in the newest one was unexpected and absolutely class.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on October 01, 2021, 09:32:44 AM
Reminds me of recent Alice In Chains, definitely the most commercial thing they've done to date. Not bad though.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Trev on October 01, 2021, 09:57:14 AM
Really enjoyed that, seem to be one of the few bands left that put a bit of effort in their videos too and don't just go for the lazy lyric vid approach

Quote from: Bigmac on October 01, 2021, 09:09:27 AM
Really enjoyed both of those new tunes, that bass solo section in the newest one was unexpected and absolutely class.
Yeah, I think Sanders is really underrated as a bassist, he's got such a knack for knowing when to hold it down and when to add the right amount of flash and melody
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on October 01, 2021, 12:22:59 PM
At this point I'd be shocked if they released something I don't like.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 20, 2021, 05:55:51 PM
Fuck. Can't wait to hear the full album!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F76JslnhBo
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on October 29, 2021, 12:19:03 AM
It's up on Spotify. Just started it but not gonna make it the whole way through it tonight. As was evident with the preview tracks, a very clean but big and heavy production.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 29, 2021, 12:26:09 AM
Sound. May be just what I need to keep plugging away for another hour and a half!
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on October 29, 2021, 12:29:34 AM
Listening to it now myself, just a few songs in but I'm digging the vibe, it's like they took the vibe of Cold Dark Place and made it more metal. Production is very clean but it's major label metal I suppose.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on October 29, 2021, 01:03:02 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 29, 2021, 12:26:09 AM
Sound. May be just what I need to keep plugging away for another hour and a half!

Who said romance is dead!?

First impressions are that I don't think the production lends itself that well to being so melodic yet heavy. Given the scope, I will have to sit with it for a while. Enjoyable so far anyway.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Floss on October 29, 2021, 04:37:18 PM
It sounds brilliant on the first couple of listens anyway.  Savage Lands has a cracker of a riff... but for sure it'll take a lot of listens....!
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 30, 2021, 04:20:36 PM
Couple of meh moments, but overall enjoying it so far.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on October 30, 2021, 04:32:22 PM
Yeah it's not a bad album, but as with nearly every double album ever they should have really just trimmed it down to the best 50 or so minutes.

With there was more Brent Hinds songs, you can tell which songs he had a hand in writing, that country-ish tune is really cool.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: pete on October 30, 2021, 04:44:42 PM
And no Scott Kelly?!
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on October 30, 2021, 05:49:58 PM
Yeah even though they had the stand alone single with him last year a Scott Kelly appearance would have been nice.

The Kim Thayil solo on Had It All is cool though.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 01, 2021, 02:23:25 PM
This album is starting to pay massive dividends after a few full listens. Still a niggle that one or two songs could have been left out, but for the moment I'm very happily buzzing through the whole thing over and over without wanting to skip tracks.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on November 01, 2021, 03:44:51 PM
Got it in the post today, I'll try to give it a spin tonight.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Floss on November 06, 2021, 10:11:10 AM
Agree with the comment about most double albums benefiting from a trim, and this one is no exception i think alright. Great to hear Kim Thayil on it.  The country song is my least fav on there though, find myself skipping over it each time.  Highly enjoyable album overall tho...fair play to them
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 06, 2021, 01:33:49 PM
I actually like that one. There's a couple of bars of vocal in it that remind me of Nothing Compares 2U  :laugh: :abbath: :abbath:
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on November 06, 2021, 01:37:37 PM
I've had it since Monday but annoyingly haven't had a chance to listen to it. I've it scanned onto the phone so I might go for a stroll with it after the rugby, if the weather clears up.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on November 06, 2021, 01:50:41 PM
Found the country tune jarring at first but was into it by the second listen. Great album. Still unpacking it.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Born of Fire on November 06, 2021, 09:37:19 PM
Only got 1 listen in so far but initial impressions are good. Very much a slow burn of an album and a bit on the long side but it's very enjoyable. There's a great sonic atmosphere created.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Trev on November 06, 2021, 09:46:45 PM
Still waiting on my copy to arrive, but I've listened to a few songs online and they all seem pretty good. Production sounds a bit off but that could also be just shitty youtube sound
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 13, 2021, 10:57:30 AM
Production definitely ain't off on the vinyl anyway. I've started my day with it all this week and it's been deadly. In fact, all I've been listening to this week is this and the new Kayo Dot.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ochoill on November 17, 2021, 10:55:05 PM
Gave it one full spin so far and picked at a few songs off it.  Not bad but first impression is fairly bloated.  Couple of great tracks in there though.  Won't write it off as quick as the last one anyway, I'll give it a few more goes to see how it opens up.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 13, 2021, 10:57:30 AM
In fact, all I've been listening to this week is this and the new Kayo Dot.
Yeah that is lethal.  No Hubardo mind (but sure what is?) but still excellent as expected.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on November 18, 2021, 12:21:56 AM
Great tunes but too fuckin many of them and they're at the same mid pace for the most part. That's my read of it, as of now.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on November 18, 2021, 04:19:46 PM
Kind of in a similar camp in that I enjoy it each time I spin through it, but with stop/start cause of work calls or whatever and nothing necessarily stands out. When I resume, I could be on track 4 or 11. Often happens when streaming vs throwing on the record, but usually easier to catch a moment/riff/hook when its 8-10 songs than 15. That said, I am getting into it more with each listen, but I can't see me shifting the idea that trimming *some* of the excess would probably serve it best overall. Some super choruses and leads for sure though.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 18, 2021, 04:38:42 PM
I was thinking this morning that I might have a stab at listening to it the way I most often listen to Physical Graffiti, either disc 1 or disc 2. It'd be interesting to see how it comes out of that. If Physical Graffiti came out today people would say it could have been trimmed of some excess, and while that's an understandable reaction, it's also obviously a mental idea.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on November 18, 2021, 04:43:31 PM
Yeah, for sure. Nobody was distracted making PowerBI Dashboards when Physical Graffiti was released, Hushed and Grim deserves similar respect.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Floss on November 20, 2021, 07:40:27 AM
All I can say is stay with it. I felt it was too long and meandering to begin with too, and I'm not a huge fan of theirs (I only like the recent albums). This new one for me is their best to date. Stunning album.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: John Kimble on November 20, 2021, 10:25:28 AM
Yeah, I think it's great. My interest in Mastodon has waned over the years, they kind of lost me after Crack the Skye, but I'm really enjoying this. I also wouldn't be a fan of double albums in general but I think this one works well and doesn't drag too much.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 02, 2021, 01:01:46 AM
I'd kind of put off checking this out the last few months, not sure how it would turn out, but I shouldn't have worried. It's cool as fuck, excellent renditions of the tunes, and a great setlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFJisKSY2SY
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Optimus Whine on December 02, 2021, 10:55:51 PM
Was just going to post about how excellent that acoustic - well, partially acoustic - set is. It works for their stuff so well, The Czar in particular is outstanding in that format. I'd love to see some proper release of those versions.

Tbh they were a band I had a lot of time for but had fallen off my radar a bit in recent years. The new album is great and it made me go back through the back catalogue again. You've got to hand it to them, they really are an amazing band.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 27, 2022, 01:11:54 AM
Making of documentary up on YouTube now:
https://youtu.be/9Rgi5C0JbRs

Now, this really is too long, but the bits in studio are good.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: OpenSores on August 28, 2022, 11:03:05 AM
Watched the documentary last night. I could watch studio work all day long regardless of the genre, however I personally feel it's a little cringe in places.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 28, 2022, 11:08:03 AM
Yeah, all the "quirky" sketches fall on their arse. Except for Brent's, because it's all too easy to imagine him as exactly that character  :laugh:
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on May 21, 2026, 03:47:10 AM
Well, who would have ever thought Brent Hinds would be discussed on Joe Rogan (with a Matt Pike mention no less), Brogan has no idea who they are but it's a humourous if not kinda sad story given it was a couple of weeks before Hinds died, gives a little insight into the state he was in.

https://youtu.be/0xMBjMlDY9M?si=Em-SqZ_ePYvCBuRG&t=7245
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on May 21, 2026, 09:10:59 AM
I think Brent always probably ran the rails, but having to be removed from the tour etc. weeks before he died, definitely seems a bit foreboding.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Don Gately on May 26, 2026, 02:19:32 PM
Mastodon good
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on May 27, 2026, 09:11:10 AM
Edit: woops, never mind :-X
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on June 02, 2026, 09:01:11 AM
New track out today, I Saw Your Ghost again - don't think it'll win back many fans that have been lost over the last few albums, but its a lot riffier than lead tracks off H&G, EoS, etc. I think. I find these songs work better within the context of an album regardless, but I really like it. Don't think its reinventing the wheel, but it does have a few directions I hope to hear more of on the album. Good stuff, by my reckoning.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on June 02, 2026, 10:09:11 AM
Sounds pretty cool, I was expecting a return to a heavier sound with Kurt Ballou producing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ65pizgD9I
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on June 02, 2026, 12:40:44 PM
Not bad. Some cool riffage at the end but the song seems to be focused on the vocal melodies with the guitars mostly taking a back seat.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Ducky on June 02, 2026, 01:33:32 PM
Yeah agree with McLove there. It sounds like they went "hey guys we can still write great riffs (and they absolutely can), but we never did settle on a proper vocalists and Brann still thinks he's Phil Collins, so here's whatever mish-mash this is supposed to be".
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on June 02, 2026, 01:38:02 PM
That's a great tune. Vocal harmonies don't seem out of line with anything they've done over the last few albums. After H&G never hitting the sweet spot for me, looking forward to hearing the album and seeing how it works as a whole.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 02, 2026, 07:11:32 PM
It's grand, but fairly latter-period Mastodon-by-numbers.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on June 04, 2026, 07:15:23 PM
Live performance of the new song, they're sounding pretty tight these days to be fair. New guitarist is a dead ringer for Mike Scheidt from YOB.

https://youtu.be/LN97ICWccOk?si=Dtk8v38M26woBJdi&t=53
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 08, 2026, 10:45:07 PM
Appreciated closure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba4fW0mXh_w

"And that's the last time I ever saw him again," Troy. Rough.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on July 08, 2026, 11:37:52 PM
Seems like he was a hard man to work with.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: NINE-T on July 08, 2026, 11:44:47 PM
A class way to explain the joys and difficulties of being in a band with a gifted and conflicted genius that Brent hinds was. I'm a big fan of this band, hinds was the outstanding member imo. But I really am looking forward to the next album.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Hellyeah on July 09, 2026, 07:01:38 PM
That was a great watch. Didn't know Brent was that difficult to work with. Never knew the full story. Have mega respect for these guys after watching.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: OpenSores on July 09, 2026, 07:17:38 PM
Looking forward to watching this. Didn't expect this at all, so respect for em' sharing this.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on July 09, 2026, 11:54:29 PM
Fair play to them for not just saying he was an angel, and brushing his difficult nature under the carpet.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on July 10, 2026, 10:49:35 AM
Obviously anecdotal, but the amount of times I saw Brent being really stroppy on-stage, unhappy with whatever, I can only imagine how much that was the case over the course of a tour.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Bürggermeister on July 10, 2026, 10:53:23 AM
There seems to be a definite personality change pre and post the brain injury, which isn't overly unusual, I believe.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on July 10, 2026, 10:54:50 AM
The demon drink doesn't help at the best of times. Talking from experience  :laugh:
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 10, 2026, 10:55:56 AM
Quote from: Bürggermeister on July 10, 2026, 10:53:23 AMThere seems to be a definite personality change pre and post the brain injury, which isn't overly unusual, I believe.

Though often true, not really the global take-away I got from what they were saying. It seemed more to me that, as he came out of the brain injury and they were making Crack the Skye, the other three were hoping it might herald a lasting increased professionalism in him. But ultimately that didn't transpire.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: CanofCans on July 10, 2026, 05:47:27 PM
Quote from: ldj on June 04, 2026, 07:15:23 PMLive performance of the new song, they're sounding pretty tight these days to be fair. New guitarist is a dead ringer for Mike Scheidt from YOB.

https://youtu.be/LN97ICWccOk?si=Dtk8v38M26woBJdi&t=53

I saw them last year and the sound was incredible compared to when I saw them years ago. At a festival and all which can be hit and miss with the audio.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on July 10, 2026, 09:56:24 PM
In other news, I saw a thing on Instagram earlier with details of the new album, not sure how legit it was and I can't find it but apparently there's a load of guest appearances including Geezer Butler, Josh Homme, Neil Fallon, Joe Duplantier etc.

It seemed legit/like a leaked press release.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Bürggermeister on July 10, 2026, 09:58:34 PM
Guestodon
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ijnjnijnilijbibbjknkjbjkk on July 10, 2026, 10:00:43 PM
March of the Hired Ants.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on July 11, 2026, 04:15:04 AM
Once More Round The Chums.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on July 11, 2026, 08:02:16 AM
Quote from: ijnjnijnilijbibbjknkjbjkk on July 10, 2026, 10:00:43 PMMarch of the Hired Ants.
:laugh:
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: The Great Cull on July 11, 2026, 10:21:54 AM
Must have been a Mammoth task to coordinate all those guests....
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on July 13, 2026, 09:02:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Cr7eKDZbA

well there's Homme anyway. Album next month, "Marrow Deep"
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Born of Fire on July 13, 2026, 11:38:53 AM
Not liking that as much as I liked the other new one. It's grand but that's the extent of it.

Watched The Mastodon In The Room vid last night. Fair play to them, it was great to see them talk about the good times and the rough times all while maintaining a level of respect and dignity for Brent that sadly he didn't show them towards the end
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on July 13, 2026, 02:07:37 PM
Decent tune. I like the chorus and the ending, but you can hear the impact losing Brent has had on the overall sound. There a slinky/sleazy quality missing, certain parts sound a bit mechanical. Still, not too bad.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on July 13, 2026, 02:13:43 PM
Yeah definitely seems like some of those guitar and drum breaks would/should have instead been some crazy weird country lick.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Born of Fire on August 13, 2026, 03:02:03 PM
And another new one

Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 13, 2026, 03:47:09 PM
That's much more the Mastodon I'm interested in than the last one. Now I'm eager to hear the whole album!
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: astfgyl on August 13, 2026, 06:11:49 PM
Not bad. Sounds like Tommy Victor on vocals. Frighteningly so at times
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Born of Fire on August 13, 2026, 06:30:03 PM
When the vocals kicked in first I wasn't actually 100% sure if it was actually Troy or not myself. Listened to it a few times now and I'm really liking it, much more than the other two songs.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on August 13, 2026, 06:31:36 PM
Yep, decent song. His voice at the start reminded me of yer man from Amebix/Tau Cross a bit, before it moved into more familiar territory.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: OpenSores on August 13, 2026, 08:56:48 PM
Quote from: Carnage on August 13, 2026, 06:31:36 PMYep, decent song. His voice at the start reminded me of yer man from Amebix/Tau Cross a bit, before it moved into more familiar territory.


Totally get that re. vocals, nice flow to it, better than I expected tbh
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on August 13, 2026, 11:26:36 PM
I liked it too.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on August 13, 2026, 11:27:58 PM
Yep,enjoyed that.

Cool visuals too.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on August 13, 2026, 11:47:42 PM
First listen but that seemed more like a tribute than the first few. Sounds too much like Brann for my liking.

Im after a pod about Mayo so Im emotional. Maybe too emotional.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: The Great Cull on August 14, 2026, 11:54:47 AM
This song is a cracker.

Listening to the three new songs back to back and they're all fitting nicely together. I was/still am a huge fan of the Hushed And Grim material and this is looking like being a nice continuation of that style
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on August 27, 2026, 06:59:33 PM
The new albun's out there, haven't listened to it yet. No fewer than seven guest appearances on this one.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: astfgyl on August 27, 2026, 07:46:11 PM
Quote from: Carnage on August 27, 2026, 06:59:33 PMThe new albun's out there, haven't listened to it yet. No fewer than seven guest appearances on this one.

Any sign of Scott Kelly?
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Eoin McLove on August 27, 2026, 09:06:21 PM
 :laugh:
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on August 27, 2026, 09:39:46 PM
Surprised he hasn't popped up somewhere since TBH.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Squigs on August 27, 2026, 11:06:10 PM
Bill was on HardLore today, great listen. Talks about the formation of the band, their mission with each album, Brent - how he was, his firing, his death, Nick Johns death, his journey into alternative music. Great listen.

My pre-order of the LP arrived today, fuck knows when it'll actually get listened to. Will fire up online tomorrow. Excited for it.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: open face surgery on August 28, 2026, 01:02:05 PM
Saw a clip of that alright. Dunno if I'm arsed with the whole thing. Threw on the album earlier, only got a few songs in but sounds good. Fell off a bit after Hushed, so I'm intrigued as to what I'll make of it.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Floss on August 28, 2026, 01:16:37 PM
3 or 4 full listens here - it sounds excellent i think. I wore out H&G and havent listened to them for ages really, but this sounds excellent to me. I love the one with Geezer's intro and the Planet Caravan vocals. Powerful stuff so far. 
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: OpenSores on August 28, 2026, 02:08:25 PM
I've given it a couple of spins and it's much better than I expected. Some tasty leads and overall much punchier imo than that of recent albums.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on August 29, 2026, 08:18:58 AM
Beaut of an album. All due respects to Hinds,you'd certainly miss him, but anyone peddling the "No Brent, No Mastodon" line after this has shit in their ears.

The dungeons and dragons narration on "Three Fates" actually made me laugh first time I heard it. Ridiculous stuff.

"Moth and Bone" into "Vampires Demeanour" is killer
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ochoill on August 29, 2026, 09:22:46 AM
I got three songs in and it was grand but it didn't grab me yet, will try it again over the weekend.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: The Great Cull on August 29, 2026, 01:03:47 PM
It's a cracker of an album.
Serious Sabbath style riff in They're Coming For You.
The album feels riffier in general than Hushed And Grim. New guitarist is the business too.

Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on August 29, 2026, 02:48:14 PM
Actually bought the lp there today. Last time I actually bought one of their albums was probably Leviathan.

Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Trev on August 29, 2026, 03:32:54 PM
Went to get the cd on my lunchbreak yesterday and couldn't find it in HMV,Tower, or Golden Discs. They all had a heap of vinyl but no cd. Guess that's where the money is at the moment
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on August 29, 2026, 03:35:08 PM
Had a listen last night and really enjoyed it, certainly their most 'metal' in a long time (and I enjoy their melodic stuff too). Kelliher does sound like he had something to prove with the riffs.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on August 29, 2026, 04:38:30 PM
Quote from: Trev on August 29, 2026, 03:32:54 PMWent to get the cd on my lunchbreak yesterday and couldn't find it in HMV,Tower, or Golden Discs. They all had a heap of vinyl but no cd. Guess that's where the money is at the moment

On that note, pissed that I couldnt find a copy in spindizzy, freebird or (shockingly) sound cellar. Bought my copy in Tower,but would much prefer to give my money to a smaller shop. Fuck HMV and Golden Discs.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Trev on August 29, 2026, 04:46:09 PM
Is Spindizzy any use? Few times I've been in recently they've practically nothing metalwise, outside of the usual Metallica, Maiden stuff
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on August 29, 2026, 04:50:29 PM
There's been some absolute second hand gems in there recently, saw some used Angel Corpse, Autopsy and Dark Tranquility (Minds Eye I think?), a bunch of old Noise Records stuff  - I got some Samael, Sabbat (UK) and Eyehategod second hand in there recently in amazing nick for 20-30 each. It goes fast. They tend to get all the new Peaceville, Century media, relapse etc in although usually in small amounts so it doesnt stick around long

Weirdly there's a lot more metal goes up as preorders on their site than is in the shop. I can see they had the Mastodon lp but it was "sold out".

While we're talking about record shops,how is the Sound Cellar still operating as a cash only business in 2026!
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: astfgyl on August 29, 2026, 04:54:56 PM
Fucking legends persisting with the cash
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: 0ricky7 on August 29, 2026, 05:22:02 PM
Got the cd and cassette from Lorna vista and it arrived  yesterday,only getting to listen to the cd now and from start to finish it has been a fantastic album,like someone said in a previous comment bill had something to prove and by fuck he did,its an album you'll get plenty of listening out of
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Ducky on August 29, 2026, 05:24:29 PM
Quote from: ochoill on August 29, 2026, 09:22:46 AMI got three songs in and it was grand but it didn't grab me yet, will try it again over the weekend.

The back half of the album is better TBH.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Nazgûl on August 29, 2026, 06:15:17 PM
First listen and yeah definitely agree that you'd miss Hinds but not to the extent to say the band has nothing left in the tank without him. Far from it. It's good, but I can't put my finger on what it is telling me I probably won't return to it all too much if at all. Same with their last few. I don't think Troy Sanders is able to write a memorable vocal hook at all anymore and his cleaner style he's switched to (prob out of necessity) in later albums kinda grates on me.

All they accomplished with the first four albums just won't ever be topped for me. All that I could want really from the band when I need my fix.

Naysaying aside there is definitely some whopper riffs and sections throughout. Proggy keyboards are a cool addition.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Nazgûl on August 29, 2026, 06:51:08 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on August 29, 2026, 08:18:58 AMThe dungeons and dragons narration on "Three Fates" actually made me laugh first time I heard it. Ridiculous stuff.

Trust Neil Fallon to knock a bitta craic outta any situation alright.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Carnage on August 30, 2026, 03:10:28 AM
Instead of my usual 20 min. walk home I took this album for a roundabout walk tonight. It's... alright. Better than the last two albums but only just. Initial reaction only, I think it's one I'll have to live with for a while before I can judge it properly.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on August 30, 2026, 01:05:39 PM
Just copped the lyrics to Poisonous Weapons on another listen, wonder if these were written prior to Hinds' passing...they're pretty brutal "your failures are not my fault, no sympathy, all hail the weakest link"  :-X.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on August 30, 2026, 02:48:40 PM
Thought the same myself in which case their honesty in keeping those lyrics is fair.

Mind you I thought "In the Ruins" was about their deteriorating relationship and its actually about Sanders house being destroyed by flooding. Its hard not to read every song as being about Hines in some way.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 30, 2026, 03:21:53 PM
First full listen. Better than I was expecting, for the most part much like a mix of various parts off the previous three albums, without being any more than the sum of those parts, to my ears.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: The Great Cull on August 30, 2026, 06:00:10 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on August 30, 2026, 02:48:40 PMThought the same myself in which case their honesty in keeping those lyrics is fair.

Mind you I thought "In the Ruins" was about their deteriorating relationship and its actually about Sanders house being destroyed by flooding. Its hard not to read every song as being about Hines in some way.

I thought the same about In The Ruins until I saw the youtube clip explaining the background. Either way, many of the lyrics could easily be interpreted other ways too.

Mad to see in another clip that In The Ruins was suggested to be dropped at one point during the sessions. It's one of the stronger moments on the album.

Hilariously, the line "The wind she wore, reared it's head" has been AI translated on Spotify as "The witchy wall, pretty tits"  :laugh:
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Born of Fire on September 01, 2026, 08:50:30 AM
Jesus I couldn't imagine In The Ruins being on the chopping block, it's still my favourite on the album and a proper earworm!

Solid album overall. I can definitely see it having long term staying power. And despite the loss of Brent it's still unmistakably Mastodon through and through, kudos to the lads for still pulling it out of the bag this far into their career.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: nimhiúil on September 01, 2026, 12:42:48 PM
I'm the only one of my friends that seems to be digging this, I don't know what they are hearing, I'd happily put it up with last 3 albums
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Sworntothecans on September 01, 2026, 01:00:20 PM
It's alright. They feckin' spoiled us with the Remission riffs. There's been great stuff since but no March Of The Fire Ants-esque stuff.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Don Gately on September 02, 2026, 09:36:03 AM
Decent album so far
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 02, 2026, 09:45:28 AM
Threw on Emperor of Sand for the first time in a while last night. I consider it good but the weakiest of the previous three. But I can't hear anything in this new one that wasn't already present in it, down to synths and keys. I can get with anyone saying the new one is on a par with the previous three (even if I personally disagree), but to folk who seem to think the new one is better... that just ain't so.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: NINE-T on September 02, 2026, 10:15:25 AM
Really liked their recent output and this is an excellent addition to them. Brent was what gave them that special something imo, but guys have created an album that delivers in all aspects.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Trev on September 02, 2026, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 02, 2026, 09:45:28 AMThrew on Emperor of Sand for the first time in a while last night. I consider it good but the weakiest of the previous three. But I can't hear anything in this new one that wasn't already present in it, down to synths and keys. I can get with anyone saying the new one is on a par with the previous three (even if I personally disagree), but to folk who seem to think the new one is better... that just ain't so.

I'd rate EoS as top out of the last three,  Jaguar God is one of my favourite songs they've done. H&G took me a long time and a lot of listens for it to finally click, and I still never really come back to it

This new one is a lot more immediate, bit riffier, but missing the few little Brentisms that he'd bring
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on September 03, 2026, 08:18:03 PM
I've paid little attention to the last three in fairness beyond listening to each once or twice and not being particuarly overwhelmed. I get what youre saying about elements on this being on them, this album just grabbed a lot more overall. Just found it more focussed, snappier, and more engaging.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: ldj on September 24, 2026, 04:05:24 PM
I see they have John Baizley from Baroness singing 'Brent' songs on their current tour, he'd do the job but you're reckon long term either Bill or the new lad will have to mic up eventually.
Title: Re: Mastodon - New album
Post by: Pentagrimes on September 26, 2026, 07:16:21 PM
Saw an interview somewhere where Bill mentioned he's working on doing more vocals in the future - wether they're Brent's parts or what I don't think he said