November 30, 2018, 10:33:49 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:10:03 PM by Blizzard Beast
Anyone on here have one and what brand model are you using, Roland, Yamaha and Alesis seem to be the popular ones?
Ive never used one before and was toying with the idea of a Yamaha but I'm leaning more and more towards Roland for the bass drum, high hats VH10 and the drum module. It seems to have decent effects you can also layer for metal sounding kits?
Interested to hear what people are using and how you find them (especially with regards to noise).

Some of the old Guitar Hero drum controllers have a MIDI input and output. Was using one of them for a while running into Cubase with Addictive Drums. Not bad when you can pick them up for dirt cheap second hand!

Quote from: Hambeast on December 01, 2018, 07:27:34 PM
Some of the old Guitar Hero drum controllers have a MIDI input and output. Was using one of them for a while running into Cubase with Addictive Drums. Not bad when you can pick them up for dirt cheap second hand!

That's a great idea in fairness

I have a completely bodged together set of pads with a dm6. The sounds from it are crap but it doesn't matter - hook it up to EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer3 and it's a winner. So good for recording. Love it.

Quote from: Hambeast on December 01, 2018, 07:27:34 PM

haha wow what an idea. Gonna see if my GT3 drumkit is still in the attic at home, that'd be well worth a go, even for the laugh.

I think there's also a Keytar which also has MIDI output

It goes without saying that they're not as good as good as the real thing but they go 90% of the way there.  I bought a Roland set back in 2004 and theyre still going strong.  They taken a fair amount of thumping over the years. I used them to practice in my apartment before weekly band practice so come practice session we were tight. As regards noise I practiced at 6am for 1 or 2 hrs daily and my wife never complained about the stick on rubber/nylon mesh tapping. Also being able to mix guitar/vox tracks via the module makes your timing spot on. If you live in the deep south west I'll loan you mine!

Thanks for the offer but I'm not really living in Ireland at the moment 8)
Yeah you cant beat the real thing,I just want them to practice and record without the neighbours or my wife giving out about the noise  :) Did you have any noise issues from the kick drum,I have people living below me and was thinking the kick drum might be an issue.I did read that you can get noise reduction mats,not sure how efficient they are though.

As ridiculous as it might sound for v drums, if you're worried about thr kick resonating through the floor build a micro riser for them, would take that worry out of it completely.  Plenty of tutorials on YouTube for these.

Ive been out of the loop with regards to good drum pedals.
Are pearl still good and what double pedals are you using on a v drum set ?
Czarcie seems to be one cropping up lately but not sure if suitable for v drums?.

I don't think there's any pedal more suited to v-drums in particular, just use whatever pedal you would use normally.
You may have to change the beaters though, I've found the felt beaters eat through the mesh heads on the v-drums but that could just be the way I play.
I've been using a DW5000 on a Roland TD-6 for about 10 years, very few issues with it really.
I used a Trick Pro-1V for a while as well and it was fine too (although I didn't like it on the acoustic kit, it had a weird clamp for the bass drum hoop which kept detaching when I played).

Yeah that's a good point with the beaters on the bass drum,will keep that in mind thanks.

I'd an electric kit for a good while in my house. One of the yamaha ones. They're handy for practise and far better than not playing drums at all. I think to get the most out of them you should still try and get some regular time on an acoustic kit so you don't form bad habits. I think they're ideal for people who only get to play their kit at a band rehearsal once or twice a week.

#14 March 30, 2019, 01:20:40 PM Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:29:59 PM by Blizzard Beast
I still have my acoustic kit but that's back in my parents gaf and I live abroad so v drums is the only option for me.I haven't played a kit in over 15 years so I want to get a decent one I can practice again with.
I like the Roland td17 kvx but there is a few things such as only one spare port on the drum module for 1 extra tom or symbol I find a bit limited otherwise it looks like a great kit.

By the way are there any good drum forums online for questions recommendations etc ?