Who do you think is the greatest metal band to come out of the UK?

Black Sabbath
20 (37%)
Iron Maiden
18 (33.3%)
Judas Priest
6 (11.1%)
Motorhead
2 (3.7%)
Other
8 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Has to be Sabbath. So many sub genres sprung from their stuff. Iommi is the ultimate riff master.

Maiden here with Priest second.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#17 August 10, 2019, 08:25:49 PM Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:28:52 PM by stevie-0

#20 August 11, 2019, 02:26:54 AM Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:28:26 PM by stevie-0

Quote from: Carnage on August 11, 2019, 12:45:48 AM
Quote from: stevie-0 on August 10, 2019, 08:25:49 PM
Iommi
Osbourne
Butler
Ward

The only four members of Black Sabbath. Ever.

Honestly, Dio was technically a better vocalist, but he also had a very carefully constructed, sell records to D&D-type nerds sthick that is just fucking drivel.

One of the most overrated cunts in metal.

Different band after Never Say Die, essentially an Iommi solo project. AOR nonsense.

Heaven and Hell is right up there with the first four as some of their best stuff, and the reunion under the H&H name absolutely pisses all over 13

My initial reaction to Heaven And Hell was uncontrollable laughter, I still find it hilariously bad. The regard it's held in is baffling. Good Dio performance but terrible, terrible songs.

Only the Osbourne, Iommi, Butler, Ward line-up is real, nothing else he released under the Sabbath name is worth bothering with.

#26 August 11, 2019, 04:27:28 PM Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:33:38 PM by Cosmic_Equilibrium
It might have been better for the band to change their name after 1978 in some respects, but the Dio albums are all stone cold classics. IMO if it has Iommi and Butler on it, it qualifies as Sabbath. I do agree that the original line up has a unique vibe to it though.

'AOR nonsense' might be an apt description for much of the Tony Martin era (now those WERE Iommi solo albums in all but name), but you seriously cannot apply that term to Mob Rules or Dehumanizer. Particularly not the latter as it's possibly one of the most savage and heavy records the band ever put out.

The AOR comment was aimed at H&H, I could have been more clear there, but it certainly describes most of his post-NSD output.

I went with Sabbath even though I was always a bigger Priest fan as a youngster. Sabbath's first six records are all phenomenal and I would return to them more now  than the other bands. Priest had some phenomenal albums too especially Sad wings of destiny and Defenders of the Faith but really nothing worthwhile after 84 in my eyes anyway.
Maiden similarly were excellent in their early work and peaked at Seventh Son for me, the decline has been marked in all three bands.
Motorhead were consistently good but didn't really push the boundaries except a few songs here and there.