Listening to the very ordinary Siculicidium put me in mind of their Romanian compatriots Negura Bunget,  and their masterpiece N' Crugu Bradului (which is, frighteningly, seventeen years old). I liked some of the earlier stuff I picked up subsequently (Maestru Sfetnic was decent) but after the Inarborat Cosmos EP I lost touch with them.  I never got my hands on Om which I know is highly rated so I must try pick up a copy of it gets a rerelease in the future,  but I think this album is so perfect and unique I'm almost afraid to spoil it.  It's hard to exactly pinpoint their sound as it seldom conforms to the rules of black metal,  either in terms of the playing or the production.  The lyrics are really intriguing and build an engrossing,  vivid concept that matches the beautiful artwork.  I'm spinning the LP version that was released by Those Opposed a few years ago but I remember picking up the incredible digipack CD in Tower when it was released and being blown away by the level of detail- my bits of fir are steadily disintegrating but are still with the case.  I was obsessed with this album for a year or two back then and it stands the test of time.

I literally just had the brainwave to put the fir pieces in a little baggie.  On the ball,  or what!

Great band, the later records are still great, Om and Virstele Pamintului (spelling is more than likely wrong) are great. I caught them in Liverpool when that came out and they were selling a beautiful carved box set that had loads of soil and twigs in it; I still regret not picking it up. The gig was on in a back room seperated by a curtain, so at the end of every song they'd have these long interludes that were being overpowered by loads of motown being played in the front bar.

I used to have 'n crugu bradului and om spinning fairly regularly but kinda stopped paying attention after all the band drama. Looking at Metal Archives, it seems the newer stuff might not be worth exploring.

I had a friend who ordered that box set which came with all the soil. There was a bunch of delays in getting them all sent out. I think they ended up sending the wooden box with the discs, and then sent out a bag of soil at a later date. I'm not sure if he ever received the soil.

Hupogrammos's other band he made after leaving was pretty good from what I remember. Very similar to Negura Bunget

https://dordeduh.bandcamp.com/album/dar-de-duh-luxus

The drama really did ruin it but for me I was a bit put off by the use of English lyrics on Inarborat Cosmos.  A bit of the mystique and charm was lost,  I thought.

Just discovered this on bandcamp without knowing the link. Digging this track, looking forward to the full thing:
https://dordeduh.bandcamp.com/album/har

I must check out their earlier record linked above...

That is good news about the new Dordeduh album. For me, that is the real  post-split continuation of Negura Bunget, as that is where most of the creativity that made the mid-period Negura Bunget releases so great went.

N'Crugu really is an excellent album, but I think Om manages to top it. The night they played all of Om while at the height of their powers in November 2008 in Fibber's was one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Saw NB a few times after the split too, nowhere near as good as earlier, but Dordehuh were epic in Stuttgart in 2012 supporting Bethlehem.

That's an album that rewards persistence, so much depth to it. Om was class too, but I haven't gone back to them since. That folky project 'Din Brad' some of them were involved in had its moments too.

I have had an urge over the past couple of days to put on "N' Crugu Bradului" and as I have tomorrow off work I think I'll fire it on. 20 years old this year and it still sounds unique and fresh to me. I'm also feeling the need to put on "The Mantle" by Agalloch. It's an autumn thing. Strange then to think it's spring here in Oz  ???

I went back to Agalloch lately. Didn't last long.

I always mean to go back to these albums but never end up doing it. Loved OM and N' Crugu when I was younger and I always think now that I am older I would appreciate them every more. I haven't heard anything from the last 3 albums.

Quote from: open face surgery on October 20, 2022, 04:10:00 PMI went back to Agalloch lately. Didn't last long.

The Mantle is magic. The rest I can take or leave.