Hey folks,

Firstly, hello! I haven't seen some of these usernames since the heady days of Metalireland, great to see the community is still live and kicking.

I'm Chris Polin, luthier and owner of Polin Guitars. I make fully custom and bespoke electric guitars and basses, using only premium quality hardware and woods.

I'm a one man shop, so I'm not beholden to supply chains or production processes. That means that custom really does mean custom - so if you have an idea that is left-field, give me a shout and we can have a chat about it.

Have a looksee on my site (www.polinguitars.com) for some examples of finished instruments, or follow the Instagram page (www.instagram.com/polinguitars) for updates on the works in progress.

Cheers for reading, and give me a shout if you have any questions or want to discuss a design.

Chris

Fair play man. That Explorer is a beaut.

Cheers bud! That one belongs to Ade from Darkest Era.

What's the damage for one of those, roughly speaking?

The Kepler and Bohr models (the superstrat and red singlecut in the pics respectively) start at £3,300 (+spec) and a full custom shape starts at £4,500 (+spec). In either case, the guitar is entirely designed and customised by the client, so options include hardware, woods, neck construction, number of strings, specific scale length/multi scale/true temperament, trick electronics, inlays and so forth. The '+spec' is typically in the £1,000 ballpark, but it can be lower or higher; it really depends on whether you go for particularly expensive hardware or woods (think Floyd Rose or woods like Ziricote, Pale Moon Ebony, Cocobolo etc). I have a trade account with Evertune and Bare Knuckle Pickups, so I can keep the prices of those down a little.

I do also offer artist rates - don't be afraid to ask.

The general flow goes as follows:

* You fill out a spec sheet on the website and send it through. The sheet is not exhaustive, nor does it need to be complete; it's just a place to get the basic ideas down and add notes for specific requirements. It's also useful to put together a 'mood board', just a collection of images of features or visual cues that you want to integrate into the guitar. Sky's the limit here, we can refine it later.

* We'll have a consultation call to discuss it and fill in the blanks in the spec sheet. I'll be led by you, offer advice where it's needed, and keep you from inadvertently choosing things that won't work together. I can give you a price and you can go and have a think.

* If you're happy to proceed, I'll make a mock up of the design in CAD. We can make changes as this point and finesse the design til it's right.

* Deposit to get the build started is the cost of materials. Once that's sorted, I'll let you know when you can expect the build to start, and then you'll get regular progress updates and photos throughout until it's finished. Usually it's about 4-6 months, depending on the complexity of the build.

* Once the balance is paid (either at this stage, or happy to take installments throughout - we can do whatever works for you), I'll get the guitar to you, along with a certificate of authenticity.

If a custom instrument is something you'd consider, or if you'd like to know a bit more, happy to answer any questions or just talk guitars. =) I'll be on here, or else ping me a message on Instagram or an email at chris@polinguitars.com. Also give me a shout if you'd like a spec sheet!

Cheers for the info. Might be a little out of my price range at the mine but something to consider for the future. Great work.

Beautiful guitars and a great custom process reading above.  If I am looking for a custom build again I'd be on to you.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 25, 2024, 01:52:14 AMCheers for the info. Might be a little out of my price range at the mine but something to consider for the future. Great work.

No worries at all, and cheers for the kind words.

Quote from: ochoill on October 25, 2024, 09:23:36 AMBeautiful guitars and a great custom process reading above.  If I am looking for a custom build again I'd be on to you.

Much appreciated! It's important to me that the client is involved in the whole process end-to-end, as they get to have ownership over the design as well as the result and the guitar is exactly what they're after. Plus it's nice to see your idea come to life.